Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 16:07   #196

Boat: Pearson 385
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Nice!!!! really customizable. Downloaded. I will try to do something with it but I am not a javascript master at all. Anyone?
I understand!!! I'm more of a C++ and C# guy myself. I envision feeding a webpage with JSON data and having the gauges display the data. I'll try to play with it, but it won't be professional. Would definitely look like a hack to someone that knows what the heck they are doing!!! I can copy and paste with the best of them!!!

Richard
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:25   #197

Boat: Moody 44

Sailoog/Anyone

Happy New Year !
Can anyone help me connect my GPS through OpenPlotter.
I'm using an app on my phone to broadcast NMEA over WiFi/TCP.
My phone is at 192.168.1.2:10110 and my OpenPlotter is at 192.168.1.3
Ive configured an input in Openplotter but see no data arrive.
If I configure OpenCPN to input from the same address/port, I DO see data.
What am I doing wrong ??

Looking forward to the setup documentation and a good FAQ

Regards and Thanks
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 15:14   #198

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

My box has been running on the boat for several days. (In the driveway far from water.) When I connect via VNC, the processor shows 100% and of course runs very slow. I am off the next couple days and will take a look at what is going on. Can anyone recommend a command or gui to see what going on inside. I am a new to Linux and google gave me some ideas for looking like, 'vmstat -s', but am looking for advice for looking at memory and cpu usage.
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 15:31   #199

Boat: 1978 43' Endeavour Time To Paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
My box has been running on the boat for several days. (In the driveway far from water.) When I connect via VNC, the processor shows 100% and of course runs very slow. I am off the next couple days and will take a look at what is going on. Can anyone recommend a command or gui to see what going on inside. I am a new to Linux and google gave me some ideas for looking like, 'vmstat -s', but am looking for advice for looking at memory and cpu usage.
In Linux the command "top" is helpful.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
TTPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
I'm using an app on my phone to broadcast NMEA over WiFi/TCP.
My phone is at 192.168.1.2:10110 and my OpenPlotter is at 192.168.1.3
Ive configured an input in Openplotter but see no data arrive.
If I configure OpenCPN to input from the same address/port, I DO see data.
What am I doing wrong ??
Open "NMEA 0183" tab and press "+ network" in inputs. Then type a name for your connection phone, TCP, 192.168.1.2 as address and 10110 as port. Press OK and do not forget to press "Apply changes" to save and restart the multiplexer. Now, OpenCPN should listen to TCP localhost 10110 to get the gps/phone signal.

What app are you using to broadcast NMEA over Wifi/TCP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
An user reported ram and cpu overloading due to some opencpn issue with charts. You can use "top" as suggested or open the task manager in the accessories menu. Select "Show full command line" option in the View menu to see what is your guilty file.
Old 04-01-2016, 14:04   #201

[QUOTE=Sailoog;2006174]Open "NMEA 0183" tab and press "+ network" in inputs. Then type a name for your connection phone, TCP, 192.168.1.2 as address and 10110 as port. Press OK and do not forget to press "Apply changes" to save and restart the multiplexer. Now, OpenCPN should listen to TCP localhost 10110 to get the gps/phone signal.

I thought Id configured it properly but I'll try again tomorrow.
I'm using Share GPS on my phone as a temporary measure until my USB GPS arrives (I have 3 other GPSs but they are all on the boat
Thanks for your help - Great project
Old 06-01-2016, 12:12   #202

[QUOTE=affinite;2006304]
Quote:
Open "NMEA 0183" tab and press "+ network" in inputs. Then type a name for your connection phone, TCP, 192.168.1.2 as address and 10110 as port. Press OK and do not forget to press "Apply changes" to save and restart the multiplexer. Now, OpenCPN should listen to TCP localhost 10110 to get the gps/phone signal.

I thought Id configured it properly but I'll try again tomorrow.
I'm using Share GPS on my phone as a temporary measure until my USB GPS arrives (I have 3 other GPSs but they are all on the boat
Thanks for your help - Great project
Sailoog
Plugged in a new USB GPS and all is now porting through 10110 and working properly. My Android app was obviously a waste of time.
So, now playing with Openplotter I/O . Is there a way of displaying temp from the DS18B20 or are we waiting on SignalK ?

Bye the way you asked me to report back on Windows Remote Desktop (the default client on my old Windows CE cockpit repeater)
WRD doesn't seem to work so I assume you only have VNC server running in Openplotter. I do have a VNC client but its not as fast as WRD
I cant imagine WRD is in your development plan so I'll use VNC but I thought Id let you know.
Regards
Steve
Old 06-01-2016, 14:05   #203

Boat: Pearson 385

[QUOTE=affinite;2008259]
Quote:

Bye the way you asked me to report back on Windows Remote Desktop (the default client on my old Windows CE cockpit repeater)
WRD doesn't seem to work so I assume you only have VNC server running in Openplotter. I do have a VNC client but its not as fast as WRD
I cant imagine WRD is in your development plan so I'll use VNC but I thought Id let you know.
Regards
Steve
I've been using VNC and it is a bit slow. I'm not in front of my Pi right now, but here is an interesting article.

RDP from a Windows Machine to your Pi

Richard
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:36   #204

Quote:
Is there a way of displaying temp from the DS18B20 or are we waiting on SignalK ?
At the moment the only way is by the NMEA inspector. We are waiting for SignalK but doing test with the code suggested by Vamonos as well
DS18B20 data integration in triggers/actions system is already fully working.

Quote:
I did successful tests with xrdp in the past. It was faster than vnc. To be honest I can not remember why I chose VNC I suppose because SD space issues and more compatibility. I think now there is more free space, I will try again if both VNC and XRDP could coexist. Noted
Old 07-01-2016, 06:26   #205

[QUOTE=Vamonos;2008360]
Quote:

I've been using VNC and it is a bit slow. I'm not in front of my Pi right now, but here is an interesting article.

RDP from a Windows Machine to your Pi

Richard
Richard
Thanks a lot for that - I followed it and got it working !!
For me WRDP is much faster so I'm a happy bunny.
Steve
Old 07-01-2016, 06:39   #206

Quote:
At the moment the only way is by the NMEA inspector. We are waiting for SignalK but doing test with the code suggested by Vamonos as well
DS18B20 data integration in triggers/actions system is already fully working.

I did successful tests with xrdp in the past. It was faster than vnc. To be honest I can not remember why I chose VNC I suppose because SD space issues and more compatibility. I think now there is more free space, I will try again if both VNC and XRDP could coexist. Noted
Sailoog
Thanks for your reply
See previous reply to Richard.
Being an Openplotter/Linux/Pi Newbie this is all a bit new for me but reminds me of the heady days of MSDOS,CPM and assembly language programming.

Anyway, I followed the link in Richards post and installed xrdp;

Provided I select the "Console" module in the xrdp login screen it works just fine on OP 0.6.0b3 !!
I now need to find out to modify the xrdp startup script to learn how to eliminate some of the unwanted menu options but I'll concentrate on walking before I try to run !

xrdp seems to co-exist happily with VNC and I can now remote access using either xrdp(WRDP) or VNC from my WinCE cockpit repeater, my android tablet or my Win10 laptop

I appreciate that VNC will be required for those using Android/VNC remote devices but for me xrdp is best.
Regards
Steve
Old 07-01-2016, 10:05   #207
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

NMEA wind data:

I have a nasa wind sensor attached to a Pi running the latest beta ( i think), the nasa outputs MWV & XDR sentences, sample here..

Code:
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$9
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXD,C,22,C*49
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$XXDR,C2249
$YXXDR,C,2,C*49
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
These will show up OK in the datastream but the NMEA inspector doesn't seem to recognize them, - update - it just did, once. Then the age just keeps increasing.
Also, openplotter doesn't seem to be outputting the sentences to opencpn. If I set up a connection in OpenCPN to usb1 the sentences will come up in the data stream.

Any ideas?
Any further tests I can do?

Thankx
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:19   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
NMEA wind data:

I have a nasa wind sensor attached to a Pi running the latest beta ( i think), the nasa outputs MWV & XDR sentences, sample here..

Code:
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$9
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$YXXD,C,22,C*49
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
$XXDR,C2249
$YXXDR,C,2,C*49
$YXXDR,C,22,C*49
$WIMWV,27,R,00,N,A*0C
These will show up OK in the datastream but the NMEA inspector doesn't seem to recognize them, - update - it just did, once. Then the age just keeps increasing.
Also, openplotter doesn't seem to be outputting the sentences to opencpn. If I set up a connection in OpenCPN to usb1 the sentences will come up in the data stream.

Any ideas?
Any further tests I can do?

Thankx
Can you create a file with this stream and email me?
If you can get the sentences in OpenCPN you can use the VDR plugin to create this file.

Send to infosailoog.com
Old 07-01-2016, 10:31   #209

Quote:

xrdp seems to co-exist happily with VNC and I can now remote access using either xrdp(WRDP) or VNC from my WinCE cockpit repeater, my android tablet or my Win10 laptop

I appreciate that VNC will be required for those using Android/VNC remote devices but for me xrdp is best.
So, if they can co-exist and there is enough space in a 4GB SD card to add xrdp (I think so), I will include it for sure
Old 07-01-2016, 16:46   #210
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Can you create a file with this stream and email me?
If you can get the sentences in OpenCPN you can use the VDR plugin to create this file.

Send to infosailoog.com
Might have found thje problem, the nasa unit sends the windspeed and wind angle out as integers, the spec states it should be to 1 decimal place.

Sentences like these work on opencpn....

$WIMWV,200.0,R,11.0,N,A*11

So hopefully openplotter will like them as well.

Ta
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote