Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 14:59   #46
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Jessie is here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ras...essie-is-here/

OpenPlotter RPI is based on Raspbian and recent versions of Raspbian have been based on Debian Wheezy, but Raspbian has now been updated to the new stable version of Debian, which is called Jessie.

There are people suggesting and adding changes in OpenPlotter code so next OpenPlotter RPI release will be build on Jessie.

indeed

And can I say a huge thanks, I installed the rpi2 image this morning and within minutes had a sony xperia in the cockpit as a remote desktop to the pi down below so all the benefits of the excellent opencpn ais display can be available in the cockpit.
One question - if you have 2 wifi dongles, say one high power, is it possible to use the openplotter wifi access point as a router for the internet coming in from the other wifi adatptor? I actually had a beer with the author of kplex last night, it sounds like kplex can do it.
And any plans for a cubietruck image?

Great work, thanks.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:14   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
indeed

And can I say a huge thanks, I installed the rpi2 image this morning and within minutes had a sony xperia in the cockpit as a remote desktop to the pi down below so all the benefits of the excellent opencpn ais display can be available in the cockpit.
One question - if you have 2 wifi dongles, say one high power, is it possible to use the openplotter wifi access point as a router for the internet coming in from the other wifi adatptor? I actually had a beer with the author of kplex last night, it sounds like kplex can do it.
And any plans for a cubietruck image?

Great work, thanks.
Thanks, glad you like it. Say congratulations to kplex author too

You can use a wifi device to connect to internet and another one to work as an access point. With kplex you will be able to access to any data coming from internet and share it with any device connected by access point but I am afraid you will not be able to share internet connection and navigate. A bridge could be done but let me think about this...

Beaglebone black, odroid, cubietruck, etc. images are planned but we prefer to achieve the maximum of the goals with raspberry before starting with them. However we document all steps to build the system into any Debian derivative here in case someone wants to start and maintain an image for other board.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38   #48
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

After a couple of days sailing using openplotter on a pi2 it's been rock solid so far
Mostly in the cockpit on a Sony experia. I was flipping between remote desktop, Opencpn on Android and navionics. Android Opencpnb seemed the best, the excellent ais display in O is goldust in the cockpit for a single hander. Remote desktop was OK but a bit clunky.
The goals look very interesting, I'm a massive arduino fan and will probably use a mega to multiplex gps, ais and fluxgate compass into the Pi2. Which also should provide a gateway for sensors galore - exhaust temp stuffing box temp, fuel gauge sensor, revs.... All cheap to do, my fridge thermostat is an arduino and some ds18 thermometers.
At some point I'll try compiling on a cubietruck and report back.
Ole openplotter

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:10   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
After a couple of days sailing using openplotter on a pi2 it's been rock solid so far
Mostly in the cockpit on a Sony experia. I was flipping between remote desktop, Opencpn on Android and navionics. Android Opencpnb seemed the best, the excellent ais display in O is goldust in the cockpit for a single hander. Remote desktop was OK but a bit clunky.
The goals look very interesting, I'm a massive arduino fan and will probably use a mega to multiplex gps, ais and fluxgate compass into the Pi2. Which also should provide a gateway for sensors galore - exhaust temp stuffing box temp, fuel gauge sensor, revs.... All cheap to do, my fridge thermostat is an arduino and some ds18 thermometers.
At some point I'll try compiling on a cubietruck and report back.
Ole openplotter

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk
Thanks again for your feedback!

Next release (maybe next month) we will implemented ds18 thermometers, humidity sensors, custom switches, procedure to set a headless system... and more and more improvements. I am going to try to add sharing internet connection as you suggested

Let us know about your arduino experiments!

Now, in OpenPlotter code there are some Raspberry specific parts but it should not be a problem to adapt it to any system.

Thanks!
Old 21-10-2015, 09:26   #50

Boat: Laguna 33

The expense of a sunlight readable display in no way undermines the utility of this project. I find it wonderful that the large TV in the salon is now a chartplotter, instrument display, and most importantly, a console for administering a navigation server. This server multiplexes multiple sources of instrument data, and for a few dollars in components adds AIS, compass, barometer, air temperature, angle of heel, and soon engine temperature, and the ability to log some of these things over time, and gets them not only into my small Garmin chartplotter at the helm (if it supports the sentences), but to apps on iPad and other devices in their cheap waterproof cases via wifi. Anyone on the boat can eventually open the sailgauge from SignalK on their mobile phone. The iPad and raspberry pi I use at home for other things when I am not on the boat, unlike proprietary dedicated hardware.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 10:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
The expense of a sunlight readable display in no way undermines the utility of this project. I find it wonderful that the large TV in the salon is now a chartplotter, instrument display, and most importantly, a console for administering a navigation server. This server multiplexes multiple sources of instrument data, and for a few dollars in components adds AIS, compass, barometer, air temperature, angle of heel, and soon engine temperature, and the ability to log some of these things over time, and gets them not only into my small Garmin chartplotter at the helm (if it supports the sentences), but to apps on iPad and other devices in their cheap waterproof cases via wifi. Anyone on the boat can eventually open the sailgauge from SignalK on their mobile phone. The iPad and raspberry pi I use at home for other things when I am not on the boat, unlike proprietary dedicated hardware.
Thanks a lot Saqqara

We were working hard last week and we have already implemented custom switches linked to actions like shutdown, start/stop services, detect opening doors, detect water level... and remote monitoring by twitter and email of sensors data. What is the English word for domotics on boats? navitics?
Old 21-10-2015, 12:33   #52

You know you are eventually going to be adding autopilot logic, don't you?

The Marine Installer's Rant: The Arduino autopilot that Jack built

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=338308.0
Old 21-10-2015, 19:02   #53

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Thanks for the link, here we go:

openplotter_rpi_v0.5.0.img.zip
size: 1459348864
MD5SUM: 2f87309a56f59c3d46266853269e91ff

The .xz file is 20% smaller albeit still >1GB:

openplotter_rpi_v0.5.0.img.xz
size: 1153485832
MD5SUM: 0b34513e5bdd818c077695088b0dab1d

Both are available via different trackers and should pop up on sites like:

https://isohunt.to/torrents/?ihq=openplotter

in a few hours.
Thanks again! Another rPi2 user is up & running OpenPlotter. The chart downloader plugin is slick. Chart selection is much improved over previous Pi installs I've had in the past.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 02:29   #54

Quote:
You know you are eventually going to be adding autopilot logic, don't you?

The Marine Installer's Rant: The Arduino autopilot that Jack built

Sailboat autopilot

Yes... I know...
Old 23-10-2015, 08:16   #55

Does the programmable switches feature you have added use momentary switches or toggle switches? I assume momentary...

It could be nice to have these buttons "emulated" in the GUI too.

Eventually, an HTML "remote" for Openplotter functions for use by a mobile phone may be good to have.

I hope to adapt a nice full screen browser instrument display using signal k, similar to this, https://www.flickr.com/photos/jukk_a/16066384388
Or a rotating slideshow screensaver mode that flips between chart and various instrument pages.

I like tinkering at dockside, but underway... I just want things to work, and to not spend my time answering questions for crew that can't operate the software.
Old 23-10-2015, 11:17   #56

Quote:
Does the programmable switches feature you have added use momentary switches or toggle switches? I assume momentary...
Toggle. You will be able to link actions to on and off states.

You can use water level sensors and magnetic switches to detect windows opening as well. That list of actions will increase.
Quote:
It could be nice to have these buttons "emulated" in the GUI too.
nice!
Quote:
Eventually, an HTML "remote" for Openplotter functions for use by a mobile phone may be good to have.
Yes, it is planned in the future, and a website to remote configuration.
Quote:
I hope to adapt a nice full screen browser instrument display using signal k, similar to this, https://www.flickr.com/photos/jukk_a/16066384388
Or a rotating slideshow screensaver mode that flips between chart and various instrument pages.
Old 26-10-2015, 15:41   #57
Marine Service Provider

The Navio+ addonboard for Raspberry pi Emlid has a lot of sensors that would be great for the openplotter project.

Features

• MPU9250 9DOF IMU
  • MS5611 Barometer
  • U-blox M8N Glonass/GPS/Beidou
  • ADS1115 ADC for power monitoring
  • MB85RC FRAM storage
  • HAT EEPROM
  • PCA9685 PWM generator
  • RGB LED

Specifications

• 13 PWM servo outputs
  • PPM input
  • Triple redundant power supply
  • Power module connector
  • UART, SPI, I2C for extensions
  • Size: 55x65mm
  • Weight: 24gr
  • HAT compliant
It would be great if openplotter supported this board "out of the box" since it has almost any sensor and interface you can dream of in a boat. Also It will make the perfect board fo future expanding openplotter to a full featured autopilot.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:58   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
The Navio+ addonboard for Raspberry pi Emlid has a lot of sensors that would be great for the openplotter project.

Features

• MPU9250 9DOF IMU
  • MS5611 Barometer
  • ADS1115 ADC for power monitoring
  • MB85RC FRAM storage
  • HAT EEPROM
  • PCA9685 PWM generator
  • RGB LED

Specifications

• 13 PWM servo outputs
  • PPM input
  • Triple redundant power supply
  • Power module connector
  • UART, SPI, I2C for extensions
  • Size: 55x65mm
  • Weight: 24gr
  • HAT compliant
It would be great if openplotter supported this board "out of the box" since it has almost any sensor and interface you can dream of in a boat. Also It will make the perfect board fo future expanding openplotter to a full featured autopilot.
OpenPlotter already supports out of the box:
  • MPU9250 9DOF IMU
  • MS5611 Barometer
And it should not be a problem to adapt the rest of features. That board seems a good compact solution but.... really expensive... isn't it? anyway I will consider it when we reach the autopilot stage. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 13:11   #59

Boat: Nauticat 32

Thanks for a really great piece of software - I have installed the RPI image on my Pi 2 and keep adding gizmos (USB gps, Daisy AIS receiver, Peet Bros anemometer, 4G dongle, 1-wire tempsensors), will be installing it on my boat when I find myself a suitable screen..

A couple of questions though - from a *NIX noob:
1. What is the simplest way to keep in sync with all your continuous updates on Github - is there any single command or do I have to download files manually, overwriting the RPI install - and if so, where? In /home/pi/.config/openplotter or somewhere else?

2. Can you guys recommend a plug&play IMU/baro sensor which I can attach without soldering stuff? :-)
Arne Henriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Henriksen View Post
Thanks for a really great piece of software - I have installed the RPI image on my Pi 2 and keep adding gizmos (USB gps, Daisy AIS receiver, Peet Bros anemometer, 4G dongle, 1-wire tempsensors), will be installing it on my boat when I find myself a suitable screen..

A couple of questions though - from a *NIX noob:
1. What is the simplest way to keep in sync with all your continuous updates on Github - is there any single command or do I have to download files manually, overwriting the RPI install - and if so, where? In /home/pi/.config/openplotter or somewhere else?

2. Can you guys recommend a plug&play IMU/baro sensor which I can attach without soldering stuff? :-)
Thanks to you for testing!

1. I'm afraid not. Since this is a project still in development, updates of major versions will be frequent. Major changes (0.x.0) means incompatibility with earlier versions because probably new or updating dependencies of other packages are needed. So it is better to wait and download the new OpenPotter RPI release. In the future, when minor changes (0.0.x) are released, you can just download the github repository to /home/pi/.config/openplotter as you said. Next release will be a mega-super-major release because there are lots of code changes, new features and new Raspbian core adaptation (Jessie).

2. Not yet, but we have plans to look for a provider and make things easier.