Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 01:33   #1

OpenPlotter project

HI from Barcelona!

I am glad to introduce you the first steps of this project. OpenPlotter is free an open so don not hesitate to download, share, collaborate, suggest...

What is OpenPlotter?

There are people who buy boats but there are also people who build them, why not build your own electronics too? OpenPlotter is a combination of software and hardware to be used as navigational aid on small and medium boats. It works on ARM computers like the Raspberry Pi and is open-source, low-cost and low-consumption. Its design is modular, so you just have to implement what your boat needs. Do it yourself.

Features
  • Chartplotter. With OpenCPN, a navigation software with useful plugins.
  • Weather Forecast. Download and visualize GRIB files with zyGrib.
  • NMEA 0183 Multiplexer. Multiplex and filter data inputs from any number of serial and network interfaces. Send and filter to any number of outputs.
  • Signal K (beta). OpenPlotter is ready for Signal K, the new, free and open source universal marine data exchange.
  • NMEA 0183 Inspector. Check the data traffic to avoid conflicts and overlaps between sources.
  • WiFi Access Point. Share data (NMEA 0183, Signal K, remote desktop) with laptops, tablets and phones on board. Connect to internet on port through the same device.
  • Remote Desktop. Access to OpenPlotter desktop from the cockpit through your mobile devices.
  • SDR-AIS. Receive and decode AIS with cheap DVB-T dongles. Calibration tools Included.
  • Magnetic Variation. Calculate magnetic variation for date and position.
  • Electronic Compass. Calculate magnetic heading with an IMU sensor. Tilt compensated. Calibration tools Included.
  • True Heading. Calculate true heading from magnetic variation and magnetic heading.
  • True Wind. Calculate true wind from apparent wind and either speed through water (speed log) or speed over ground (GPS).
  • Barograph and Thermograph. From pressure and temperature sensors. Save logs and display graphs to see trends.
  • System Time Tools. Set the system time from NMEA data and set the time zone easily.
  • Startup Programs. Select some program parameters to launch at start.

Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog

introduction | OpenPlotter Documentation

Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:16   #2

Re: OpenPlotter project

That looks REALLY interesting. Great job on the site, and this is definitely something I am going to try out!
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have looked at this option many times.

The issue I keep having is a weatherproof display. By the time I am done buying the display, an off the shelf product becomes more cost-efficient.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:02   #4

Hi,

It looks like you have integrated most of what I want from a boat computer into a nice rpi image. after installing it and expanding the disk, I tried hard to install adafruit webide, but I got some nodejs conflicts. Is there anything special in this image, any old dependencies or anything particular? I can install the webide in a clean raspbian image.

All other niceties install fine, except for freeboard. But I guess if I can have opencpn via remote screen (or even the new touch screen on board) I do not really need this.

Great work, I hope I can contribute once I'm set up

Joachim
joachim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The issue I keep having is a weatherproof display. By the time I am done buying the display, an off the shelf product becomes more cost-efficient.
Weatherproof and daylight readable. Seems like the display is the biggest cost, and without economy of scale it makes it more economical to just buy a commercial chartplotter.

So... What I'm hoping is that this OpenPlotter project will encourage someone to source reasonably priced, weatherproof and daylight readable, displays. But that is going to require a certain "critical mass" before they will gain the economy of scale needed.

Here's hoping this works out.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:55   #6

I have loaded OpenPlotter on my Raspberry Pi 2 and made it run relatively easely.

I have two problems which are not solved:
1 - I want to connect to my RPi whith my Ipad using VNC but no screen connected to the RPi. Connection is OK but not screen size. I have tested different configuration by changing variables in the config.txt file but the window of OpenPlotter is still larger than the Ipad screen. What are the correct parameters to enter

2 - I just tested the option of using OpenPlotter as a Wifi router. I can connect without difficulty to the OpenPlotter router but I am not able to establish a connection either through PuTTy or Vnc Viever. On the creen of OpenPlotter it is sais the IP for remoet desktop is 192.168.0.20:5900 buts I have tested this IP ou the same without the extention :5900 but they do not work

Claude
Claude53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 02:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim- View Post
Hi,

It looks like you have integrated most of what I want from a boat computer into a nice rpi image. after installing it and expanding the disk, I tried hard to install adafruit webide, but I got some nodejs conflicts. Is there anything special in this image, any old dependencies or anything particular? I can install the webide in a clean raspbian image.

All other niceties install fine, except for freeboard. But I guess if I can have opencpn via remote screen (or even the new touch screen on board) I do not really need this.

Great work, I hope I can contribute once I'm set up

Joachim
Thanks Joachim!

Node.js is installed and needed by Signal K server. Is adafruit webide using node.js too? May be a version conflict?
Being adafruit webide a development framework I am afraid Signal K should have priority in case of irresolvable conflict.
Old 14-09-2015, 02:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Weatherproof and daylight readable. Seems like the display is the biggest cost, and without economy of scale it makes it more economical to just buy a commercial chartplotter.

So... What I'm hoping is that this OpenPlotter project will encourage someone to source reasonably priced, weatherproof and daylight readable, displays. But that is going to require a certain "critical mass" before they will gain the economy of scale needed.

Here's hoping this works out.
I think you are right and hopefully someone could propose some affordable weatherproof daylight readable display, but...

What about an indoor common and cheap HDMI display (with water-resistant enclosure) (less than 50$) and openplotter sending data to mobile devices outdoor by wifi?

You have lots of Apps managing NMEA 0183 and future Apps managing Signal K, the new OpenCPN for Android, sailgauge and instrument panels served by openplotter to any browser, remote desktop... These mobile devices are easy waterproof-able and daylight readable.
Old 14-09-2015, 03:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude53 View Post
I have loaded OpenPlotter on my Raspberry Pi 2 and made it run relatively easely.

1 - I want to connect to my RPi whith my Ipad using VNC but no screen connected to the RPi. Connection is OK but not screen size. I have tested different configuration by changing variables in the config.txt file but the window of OpenPlotter is still larger than the Ipad screen. What are the correct parameters to enter

2 - I just tested the option of using OpenPlotter as a Wifi router. I can connect without difficulty to the OpenPlotter router but I am not able to establish a connection either through PuTTy or Vnc Viever. On the creen of OpenPlotter it is sais the IP for remoet desktop is 192.168.0.20:5900 buts I have tested this IP ou the same without the extention :5900 but they do not work

Claude
1- In a terminal type:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

search and set these options:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=9

set hdmi_group and hdmi_mode according to this list:RPiconfig - eLinux.org and do not forget to delete the symbol # before each one.

Reset and connect remotely by your preferred vnc software.

2- If you are configuring openplotter as an access point your address will be 10.10.10.1 and the port 5900. If you are configuring openplotter as normal client and connecting to a router, you can check the field "Addresses" in the Wifi access point tab and see the IP that you have been given by your router and connect to it on port 5900 as well.

You need supply the IP and the port to your vnc software and be sure that SSH is activated on the raspberry to be able to connect through Putty.
Old 14-09-2015, 03:23   #10

Boat: Etap 22i

Hi all,

There is a recent initiative for a waterproof sunlight readable display out there. In another thread on this forum there is an interesting Q&A going about building a powerful and flexible my Maritime Instrument & Display Controller. This initiative is closely looking at and potentially willing to cooperate with Open Plotter. Have a look on https://www.hackster.io/mvandervoort...lay-controller and you know a lot more details.

My initiative will be agnostic for all kind of Open Source maritime software. And beyond that, both Android and Linux will be supported, so there is freedom of choice.

Manfred
mvandervoort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 03:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandervoort View Post
Hi all,

There is a recent initiative for a waterproof sunlight readable display out there. In another thread on this forum there is an interesting Q&A going about building a powerful and flexible my Maritime Instrument & Display Controller. This initiative is closely looking at and potentially willing to cooperate with Open Plotter. Have a look on https://www.hackster.io/mvandervoort...lay-controller and you know a lot more details.

My initiative will be agnostic for all kind of Open Source maritime software. And beyond that, both Android and Linux will be supported, so there is freedom of choice.

Manfred
I had not seen that thread, thanks. Glad to see you here.

Do you have some approx cost of your display, electronics and waterproof enclosure?
Old 14-09-2015, 03:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude53 View Post

Claude
I try to reply this post but the system says that it needs to be moderated I think we have to wait for being approved.
Old 14-09-2015, 04:21   #13

Boat: Etap 22i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
I had not seen that thread, thanks. Glad to see you here.

Do you have some approx cost of your display, electronics and waterproof enclosure?
We are both on all places scattered around in CF and elsewhere

OK, about costs. It's my intention to specify/assemble a DIY kit targeted at € 500 max. For this minimum budget, you have to make the enclosure in plywood based on the provided drawings. I'll think near IP65 might be possible if epoxied well and good switches are applied.

The more luxureous DIY package will deliver a 3D Printed enclosure and that might be at a price target of € 750. IP65 targeted.

And a possible commerical release (10-15') based on vacuum / resin casting hasn't been decided on. IP67 targeted. That's a topic we better can talk about offline right now becasue we could have a shared interest in that

Manfred
mvandervoort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 05:48   #14

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

I am just playing around with the Freetronics Pileven board on my RPi, and think this would be a useful addition to the concept.

As well as allowing for analog inputs (I'm working on a tank level monitor) this board can also power the RPi through a regulated 2.1mm 12v input socket. It seems that this board is an easy way to provide reliable power and also be able to monitor boat systems and security.

Chris
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 05:58   #15

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandervoort View Post
OK, about costs. It's my intention to specify/assemble a DIY kit targeted at € 500 max.
And I always thought the Raspberry Pi is a cheap computer?
So better buy a real one...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote