Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 12:38   #1021

Boat: Marples 37
Re: OpenPlotter project

Thanks for the info, I do have a display so I'm working through the GUI. I'm surprised I couldn't find any mention of this anywhere else. I probably should have looked there as it seems quite logical now that you've pointed it out.

So the process I tried was to right click the network icon at top right of screen and select Edit Connections.
Select the Ethernet Connection 1 and press edit.
Select IPv4 tab and input:

Method Manual
Addresses press Add, then input:

Address 192.168.88.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.88.1
DNS Server 192.168.88.1

At this point the save button was still greyed out and unselectable.

Should I be adding anything to Search Domains field or the Routes window?
Also I assume the Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete should be checked.

As you can probably tell I'm as much of a networking noob as I am a linux noob.
I do appreciate that the command line is worth learning for linux but that's quite a steep learning curve and is going to take a while.
Thanks again for your help.
Colin
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 13:45   #1022

Boat: Outremer 50S

I can't replicate the grayed out 'save' button, I'd guess it has to do with permissions. We're out for the day, will see if I can replicate later.

You might as well check the IPV4 box. Probably not necessary, but since everything else you set up is IPV4 might as well check it force the PI there in case it finds IPV6.

You do need the DNS entries, those tell it where to resolve names to IP addresses.

Search domains are just shortcuts really. If you put 'mydomain.com' in search domains, and then somewhere else you put 'server1' the system will try to access 'server1.mydomain.com'. So, if there are places you visit frequently, with long names, then it can be slightly useful, otherwise, nothing is required.

You shouldn't need any routes, the system sets up the defaults based on your other entries. All of your local stuff (MicroTik, Win10) shouldn't need a route if you use the same netmask (255.255.255.0) on all systems.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 17:09   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

You do need the DNS entries, those tell it where to resolve names to IP addresses.
Do I need anything other than:
"DNS Server 192.168.88.1"
in the address window

As for the greyed out save button, I assumed that was normal and I was just missing something required. Good idea about the permissions I'll try and look into this and see if I can find anything out.

It wouldn't be something like openplotter wanting to manage these parameters and not allowing changes? I do remember seeing somewhere (maybe the openplotter manual) where if you clicked on the network icon at top right of the desktop it would give network status of "Ethernet not managed" even though it had been setup within Openplotter.
Old 06-05-2018, 17:23   #1024

I still can't replicate the grey save button, IIRC at some point I put the password in the keychain to resolve similar problems, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what to do. A couple of things to try:

On the 'general' tab uncheck the "all users may use this network". That option requires admin privileges. If unchecking that does the trick then it is definitely a permissions issue. You might as well check the "automatically connect.." box while you are here, I assume you'll want that.

If that doesn't work, try invoking the applet from the command line (Menu - > Accessories -> Terminal). To run with admin privileges "sudo nm-connection-editor", that should launch the same dialog box in admin mode. There's a chance you might need to stop the instance that is running first, "sudo stop network-manager".

If all that fails there's a chance you have a bad entry somewhere in the forms, although you should be able to save a wired connection with just IP and netmask and no other information. Check at the top in the "Connection Name" box, make sure you didn't accidentally erase the name when entering the dialog (it is automatically selected and easy to backspace).

On the "Ethernet" tab make sure the MAC address shows up (it should by default, but double-check).

If you set IPV6 to "ignore" (the default) then you don't even need to bother with the IPV4 checkbox.
Old 06-05-2018, 19:56   #1025

Looking again at IPv4 window, the save button is initially selectable but as soon as I change the Method to Manual (I assume this is correct to select a static address) it goes grey. None of the other options does this just manual.
The other thing I should mention is that for the moment I'm still using the default logins and passwords.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07   #1026

OK a little progress and more issues.

I tried what you suggested and unchecked the "all users may use this network" on the General tab. This seemed to do the trick and I was able to save the IPv4 configuration.

Unfortunately I seem to be having issues with the Chromium web browser as it keeps shutting down when I try to load anything.

I tried reloading it via the add/remove software window, it said it was loading packages but nothing really happened and I still have the same issue.

I also tried loading a different web browser and again was told it was loading packages but also didn't seem to do anything. I'm sure pretty much all the issues I'm having is because I'm a noob.

On a separate issue I've tried on 2 separate days to register on the openplotter forum and both times the reCAPTCHA verification was shutdown. Is this an issue at my end or their end?

Thanks heaps for your help and patience.
Colin
Old 08-05-2018, 23:19   #1027

Sorry, we're out in 'no-data' land for the moment. Got one bar today and saw the replies in my e-mail. So, can't try and replicate other things to test. Are you using 'sudo' to precede your commands when trying to install? That elevates permissions.

I've seen the Re-Captcha problem a lot lately, I think it has to do with out of data SSL/TLS and updates in browsers that no longer accept older encryption.

Be happy to try and assist more when we get some data if you're still stuck in the woods.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41   #1028

Good to see someone's getting out sailing.

Latest efforts, still can't get Chromium working properly even after uninstalling/reinstalling it. Was able to get Firefox loaded and linked to the Groove via the webfig interface. This listed available wifi connections OK, but when I try to connect it just sits there with a status of "Searching".
The config settings are:
IP Address: 192.168.88.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server box checked.
DHCP server range: 192.168.88.10-254
NAT box checked.
Bridge all LAN ports unchecked.

These were the defaults which worked when connected directly to the win10 laptop.

None of this is critical (as I can connect directly) so don't knock yourself out unless you enjoy the challenge. That being said I do appreciate your time and effort.

Good news I was finally able to register on the openplotter forum so will direct my issues there in future.

Colin.
Old 13-08-2018, 14:46   #1029

Boat: Catalina 320 Mk II

I have bought an NMEA0183 to USB connector, but I cannot see how to set it up. I simply cannot see the tabs as described in theses links in the docs:
- https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...usb-ports.html
- https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...b-manager.html

I don't see the "USB Manager", "NMEA 0183", or "NMEA 2k" tabs. How do I get to these?
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 11:18   #1030

Boat: Smuggler 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
Address 192.168.88.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.88.1
DNS Server 192.168.88.1
I don't think a computer can use itself (both adresses end in .1) as the gateway.
TeknikFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:08   #1031

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)

Gateway only matters if sending traffic to a different subnet - in this case anything outside of 192.168.88.xxx. So if not connected to some Internet router (or multiple subnets on the boat via routers) if gateway can be ignored. Same with DNS if you are not using the Internet. You can leave DNS blank and many systems will let you leave gateway blank but it won’t matter either way without a router.
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 23:43   #1032

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
OpenPlotter project

Many people have repeatedly talked about the display being an issue.
The best part of an openplotter setup is the flexibility of displays. The raspberry pi 3 or 3 b+ has built in WiFi and Bluetooth. Openplotter while a host of opencpn, also includes the ability to use the same raspberry pi (rpi) as a WiFi access point meaning 2 things are possible
1. You can share the screen and navigate with almost any WiFi device including a phone, tablet, laptop, or as I do, a nook reader running android which has an E Ink display that is daylight readable, extremely low power, and doubles for reading books. You can be on the head and still see openplotter with ais overlayed. Waterproof and Grayscale.
2. If you tie in a high power WiFi antenna/receiver you can use shore available WiFi at anchor from a few miles away rebroadcast on board.
The openplotter setup uses about 1/2 amp when active. Most laptops use way more than that and won’t give you the WiFi access point functionality.
I am currently using the below new hat on my pie. It is awesome. Highly recommended

https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter...moitessier-hat
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 11:54   #1033

Boat: Beneteau M500 50'3"

Check out AliBaba, many chinese companies offer IP67/IP68 waterproof monitors at a fraction of the cost, but be careful, though the fronts and bezels may be weatherproof the backs are not so the screen will have to be installed in a weathertight case.
benet250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 11:30   #1034

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Has anyone managed to get the shipmodule Bluetooth to connect and send data. I can get it paired but I get the error " no services available"
Old 26-01-2019, 22:20   #1035

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Has anyone managed to get the shipmodule Bluetooth to connect and send data. I can get it paired but I get the error " no services available"
Where do you want to receive? PC, tablets, cellphone? Did you check for the correct virtual com-ports on your pc? Connection through usb works fine? The problem is, if this might be the case, in your pc it is a 1to1 connection again, meaning, until you change your setup with a software multiplexer only one program at same time has access. Free Software multiplexer: eg built-in to openCPN, gpsGate (my favourite), navmonPC and more
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote