Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 06:48   #766

Re: OpenPlotter project

Hey,

I updated the openplotter.py and now it works. I havent been able to pick up any signals, since I dont have an appropriate antenna yet.

Another issue:
The SignalK Instrumentpanel & Sailgauge doesnt work at all though, I guess they are still working on it?

How do you display Temperature and other data that comes from sensors connected to the Pi?

Best,
zugol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:38   #767

Boat: Formosa 41

Hi Sailoog,

I know you said not to put too much time on the opencpn dashboard issue, but I needed to have a look.

So I found that the issue was the dashboard was only looking at XDR sentences with certain transducer names , I.e. "Airtemp" , which is why it could not pickup the pitch/roll/Airtemp/pressure, etc that openplotter was producing.

So I reworked the XDR the section to be based on transducer type and ignoring the name value altogether. I think it make more sense to me for it to work on transducer types, also allows for a few more instruments.

The opencpn dashboard now happily display's the values.

I reverted all my previous changes in i2c.py.

I don't know where to upload my copy of the dashboard_pi.cpp for review/inclusion for the GitHub?

I have included the code in thread;
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-166028.html

Thanks
Nick_Currawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 05:17   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugol View Post
Hey,

I updated the openplotter.py and now it works. I havent been able to pick up any signals, since I dont have an appropriate antenna yet.

Another issue:
The SignalK Instrumentpanel & Sailgauge doesnt work at all though, I guess they are still working on it?

How do you display Temperature and other data that comes from sensors connected to the Pi?

Best,
The SignalK Instrumentpanel & Sailgauge doesnt work on raspbian browser but if you connect remotely from phones, tablets... they work. We will try to make it work on raspbian browser too.

Yoou can see data in Inspector window or weather graphs.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:25   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Currawong View Post
Hi Sailoog,

I know you said not to put too much time on the opencpn dashboard issue, but I needed to have a look.

So I found that the issue was the dashboard was only looking at XDR sentences with certain transducer names , I.e. "Airtemp" , which is why it could not pickup the pitch/roll/Airtemp/pressure, etc that openplotter was producing.

So I reworked the XDR the section to be based on transducer type and ignoring the name value altogether. I think it make more sense to me for it to work on transducer types, also allows for a few more instruments.

The opencpn dashboard now happily display's the values.

I reverted all my previous changes in i2c.py.

I don't know where to upload my copy of the dashboard_pi.cpp for review/inclusion for the GitHub?

I have included the code in thread;
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-166028.html

Thanks
Good work, you should make a pull request to the opencpn github but that will take its time. If it's working for you I could include your changes but I wouldn't like to have to compile, could you send me the compiled plugin? we could include to the next OP image.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:33   #770

Quote:
The SignalK Instrumentpanel & Sailgauge doesnt work on raspbian browser but if you connect remotely from phones, tablets... they work. We will try to make it work on raspbian browser too.
Im only using the raspberry with another Laptop that uses the gps and ais data.

If i try to connect remotely to the raspberry pi via 10.10.10.1/instrumentpanel, it just gives me an time-out error. The signalK server is running though..
Old 17-05-2016, 05:37   #771

Quote:
Im only using the raspberry with another Laptop that uses the gps and ais data.

If i try to connect remotely to the raspberry pi via 10.10.10.1/instrumentpanel, it just gives me an time-out error. The signalK server is running though..
http://10.10.10.1:3000/instrumentpanel/
Old 17-05-2016, 05:45   #772

thx for correcting. I actually used that adress, but still no luck.... are there any other settings i have to set?
Old 17-05-2016, 05:48   #773

Quote:
thx for correcting. I actually used that adress, but still no luck.... are there any other settings i have to set?
Nop, if you are connected to the OP access point it should work. Try this:

10.10.10.1:3000/instrumentpanel/?reset=true
Old 18-05-2016, 02:57   #774

Hi guys,

A quick question that seems very simple compared to what is being discussed in this thread!

I have got hold of a nasa ais engine that I would like to attach to opencpn via openplotter.

Do I add it as a serial input in the nmea 0183 screen as I did with the gps or do I have to add it on the SDR-AIS screen.

Sorry for what is probably a very simple question but I'm away from the boat and would like to understand what to do before I travel down to try it.

Thanks very much,

Lew
LewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 03:03   #775

Add it just like you did with the gps, but with the correct baudrate.

The SDR-AIS is used only when you use a SDR-dongle to recieve data

Sent fra min E6653 via Tapatalk
Alekoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 03:07   #776

Thanks very much, you guys are doing great work with this, I didn't think I'd be able to get this sort of connectivity onboard my small boat without spending a fortune!

Thanks again,

Lew
Old 18-05-2016, 04:12   #777

Boat: Moody 44

Dont forget to use the OpenPlotter USB manager to define your Serial-USB adapter as your AIS data source. Im told that if you dont, it is possible for the system to incorrectly assign ports on reboot and you might loose your AIS connection.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 04:45   #778

Hi Affinite,

Do you mean the drop down source on the nmea 0183 page? Or is there another USB manager that I need to find? I've had a look through the documentation on gitbooks but cant find mention of that.

Lew
Old 18-05-2016, 04:55   #779

It is the default page (first tab) in the openplotter GUI, you can give the serial/usb converter a permanent alias that is linked to the serial number or product ID.

After setting up the alias you use the alias as the serial port name when you set up the NMEA input
Alekoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:29   #780

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekoy View Post
It is the default page (first tab) in the openplotter GUI, you can give the serial/usb converter a permanent alias that is linked to the serial number or product ID.

After setting up the alias you use the alias as the serial port name when you set up the NMEA input
If you dont have a USB manager tab you need to upgrade your Openplotter installation to the latest version

PS - The manual on Github does not show this tab (yet)

Regards
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote