Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 06:24   #691

Re: OpenPlotter project and AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
If I'm not wrong backpowering is no longer a problem with latest Raspberries because they are protected.

I don't think that is power related. What kind of GPS do you have? Do you set the baud rate properly?
The gps is a normal Ublox NEO6. if I plud it into a Arduino and then into the usb and configure it as ttyACM0 it works perfectly but will not work on the GPIO pins. I am starting to think there must be a problem with this new RPi 3 RX and TX pins.

Lastly, another question (sailoog, please tell me if I am being too much of a pain). However, please could you tell me how to configure OCPN to show these radar rings (picture). Ans, lastly, If I go to localhost:3000/sailgauge/ I get the gauge but it does not register the gps heading, how do I do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn.png
Views:	239
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	121994  
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:46   #692

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddaneel View Post
The gps is a normal Ublox NEO6. if I plud it into a Arduino and then into the usb and configure it as ttyACM0 it works perfectly but will not work on the GPIO pins. I am starting to think there must be a problem with this new RPi 3 RX and TX pins.

Lastly, another question (sailoog, please tell me if I am being too much of a pain). However, please could you tell me how to configure OCPN to show these radar rings (picture). Ans, lastly, If I go to localhost:3000/sailgauge/ I get the gauge but it does not register the gps heading, how do I do that.
Ill try and help sailoog by answering one of your questions - for range (Radar) rings go into OCPN tools, ships,own ship and tick "show range rings"
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:53   #693
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenPlotter project

And don't forget that there is a very complete (embedded and web manual) coming with OCPN --> just go for the "?" button
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:33   #694

Boat: Steel 9.8 x 2.55 x 0.7

Quote:
The GPS will not work on the GPIO pins. I am starting to think there must be a problem with this new RPi 3 RX and TX pins.
Be careful - do not melt your Serial Lines, better use the USB Port. The PI GPIO RX/TX use 3V Logic, Arduino use 5V. NEVER connect the Pi Ports to 5V.
hwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08   #695

Quote:
If I go to localhost:3000/sailgauge/ I get the gauge but it does not register the gps heading, how do I do that.
Signalk gauges and instruments are still a little bit buggy, wait for OP v0.8.0 and we will try to fix them.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:21   #696

I have just implemented MQTT to OpenPlotter v0.8.0

You can test it creating a free account in cloudmqtt.com as broker. Fill in the settings fields in Accounts tab and create an action send MQTT message. Write the topic and the message to send.

Doing so, you can send any data from OpenPlotter to your phone/computer/web in real time. Complete manuals when v0.8.0 is released.

Now I am working on getting data from MQTT, SMS, gmail and OpenCPN alarms to act as triggers.

v0.8.0 is coming
Old 05-04-2016, 11:53   #697

Quote:
I have just implemented MQTT to OpenPlotter v0.8.0

You can test it creating a free account in cloudmqtt.com as broker. Fill in the settings fields in Accounts tab and create an action send MQTT message. Write the topic and the message to send.

Doing so, you can send any data from OpenPlotter to your phone/computer/web in real time. Complete manuals when v0.8.0 is released.

Now I am working on getting data from MQTT, SMS, gmail and OpenCPN alarms to act as triggers.

v0.8.0 is coming
I don't know Cloudmqtt. I have been using my Pi/Openplotter with Weaved.com which is working quite nice, the free version. Any benefits with Cloudmqtt vs Weaved?
stakston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:42   #698

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakston View Post
I don't know Cloudmqtt. I have been using my Pi/Openplotter with Weaved.com which is working quite nice, the free version. Any benefits with Cloudmqtt vs Weaved?
I was going to reply why I think it sounds fantastic but I realise that I'm making a lot of assumptions about sailoog's statement so I will just ask sailoog for clarification on that: Are you saying you're pushing SignalK/JSON to remote MQTT queues, and if so is the remote MQTT broker to use configurable ie you could use something other than cloudmqtt if you wanted?

Would I also be correct in saying that weaved.com is pretty much a VPN service which allows you to remotely connect to a device like a raspberry pi using a defined set of protocols (including http and ssh)?

If the two of you can confirm my understanding I'll enthuse about why this new openplotter functionality sounds so great.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57   #699

Quote:
I don't know weaved.com but it seems that doesn't support MQTT or I wasn't able to find it.
Old 05-04-2016, 13:15   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
I was going to reply why I think it sounds fantastic but I realise that I'm making a lot of assumptions about sailoog's statement so I will just ask sailoog for clarification on that: Are you saying you're pushing SignalK/JSON to remote MQTT queues, and if so is the remote MQTT broker to use configurable ie you could use something other than cloudmqtt if you wanted?

Would I also be correct in saying that weaved.com is pretty much a VPN service which allows you to remotely connect to a device like a raspberry pi using a defined set of protocols (including http and ssh)?

If the two of you can confirm my understanding I'll enthuse about why this new openplotter functionality sounds so great.
OP gets data from NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, sensors, signal k, switches, outputs... and you can check any magnitude (lat, lon, COG, HDM, time, temp, switch status...) at any moment and use this as a trigger, so the answer is yes but we are not sending signalk/JSON, we are sending magnitude values, keywords, switches or outputs status... whatever you want. Would be also possible to send signal k delta data of course.

And the answer to your second question is yes, you can use any MQTT broker e.g. the future openmarine cloud

Besides this you will be able to get data from any MQTT client linked to your broker and use it as a trigger.
Old 05-04-2016, 13:52   #701

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

So if I'm not mistaken (I might be :-), weaved.com creates a VPN which allows certain types of traffic to access your device even if hidden behind NAT. Presumably it's up to the user to define the method by which they retrieve their data and it looks like a nice, flexible service.

MQTT is a publish/subscribe message broker and one of (if not "the") front runners in the "Internet of Things" protocol wars. The eponymous Things publish data to queues on an MQTT broker which are then consumed by subscribers to those queues. It's not really a competitor to weaved.com: you're not allowing remote access, just publishing data to a broker.

I like the sound of sailoog's new feature because anything which treats marine sensor data into generic IoT data is, IMHO, a Good Thing. Not only are we leveraging the rest of the world's expertise on our marine problems, if we move closer to treating our data the same way as domestic sensor data, maybe we move a step further away from paying "marine" prices for our hardware and software.

The problem of course is that in the same way that the method of exporting and importing sensor data is not standardised, the *format* of those data aren't either. But we can all work on that :-)
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:18   #702

Quote:
I suposse you are running openplotter v0.6.0beta3 so download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-v7-826.tar.gz

Copy this file into your pi directory on openplotter (/home/pi)
open a terminal
type:
tar xzf 8192eu-4.1.13-v7-826.tar.gz
./install.sh

and that's all. Reset and your wifi dongle will work. The files used to the installation should have been auto-destroyed. Next OpenPlotter release will be RTL8192EU compatible (if I do not forgot again )

..and never mind, remember that all of you are who are helping the project. It is a matter of universal balance
Hmm, I'm not able to get my 8192eu to work. I've downloaded new drivers according to kernel. I can see a "Hidden network" but am not able to connect to it.
uname -a gives this:
Code:
Linux openplotter 4.1.21-v7+ #872 SMP Wed Apr 6 17:34:14 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
In Openplotter v.0.8 I can select my Wifi and enable AP if I want, but same thing. It only appears as Hidden Network and I can not connect to it.

I'm a linux newbie so I'm probably missing something here... Maybe I have to ditch my Pi2B and get a Pi3 with internal wifi to get rid of problems. Not a bad thing when I think of it.
Old 09-04-2016, 00:33   #703

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not able to get my 8192eu to work. I've downloaded new drivers according to kernel. I can see a "Hidden network" but am not able to connect to it.
uname -a gives this:
Code:
Linux openplotter 4.1.21-v7+ #872 SMP Wed Apr 6 17:34:14 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
In Openplotter v.0.8 I can select my Wifi and enable AP if I want, but same thing. It only appears as Hidden Network and I can not connect to it.

I'm a linux newbie so I'm probably missing something here... Maybe I have to ditch my Pi2B and get a Pi3 with internal wifi to get rid of problems. Not a bad thing when I think of it.
Update: More troubleshooting. It does not produce a "Hidden network" it produces no network at all when I enable Wifi AP in Openplotter.

The wifi seems to work with out ap sharing, I can connect to networks and be online. The wifi adapter is an Comfast cf-wu755 with an 8192EU chip. I read the 8192EU chipset should be supported. Do you think this card should work or should I give on?

Gaute
Old 09-04-2016, 02:51   #704

Quote:
Update: More troubleshooting. It does not produce a "Hidden network" it produces no network at all when I enable Wifi AP in Openplotter.

The wifi seems to work with out ap sharing, I can connect to networks and be online. The wifi adapter is an Comfast cf-wu755 with an 8192EU chip. I read the 8192EU chipset should be supported. Do you think this card should work or should I give on?

Gaute
Hi.

When testing just now I see the same behaviour with one of my two Wifi USB dongles.

Both works out of the box as Wifi clients on my Pi3, but only one of them works as an AP.

Both are based on Realtek HW, but are different versions.

Working as AP (both from lsusb):
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 07d1:3303 D-Link System DWA-131 802.11n Wireless N Nano Adapter(rev.A1) [Realtek RTL8192SU]

Not working as AP:
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

USB Wifi dongles that I find on komplett.no ranges from 190,- to 395,- NOK, and you get a Pi3 for 499,- at Kjell & Company or at Teknikmagasinet.
I would definitely get a Pi3, the inbuilt Wifi just works with OP v0.7.1beta.

I think you can use all of your things from the Pi2 on the Pi3, the only physical difference I have seen is that the status leds on the board is in a different place.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:42   #705

Boat: Supero 800, 26'

Hi
I am looking at options for adding temperature-sensors in the front of the boat, but i am not so keen on all the wiring that needs to be done if i use a cabled temperature sensor. Ive been looking at setting up remote arduinos, but I also found this little Bluetooth sensor. And as my Pi3 already has a builtin bluetooth radio, the setup seems a lot easier. Does anyone have any experience using remote bluetooth sensors? or any idea if it could work with OpenPlotter?

BlueRadios provides Low Energy Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Ready wireless sensors and single-mode modules for wireless medical patient monitoring
fbraad is offline   Reply With Quote