Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 11:18   #646

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Well, if it takes no more than one or two weeks, it would be ok to schedule my ordered stuff for this time and send it together with the converters. My primary concern was the donation. Actually here the streets are snow white, so it will take some time until all gets productive...
McElch, I am trying to communicate with you by email and forums but no luck. I have the NMEA 0183 converters, please contact me.
Old 23-03-2016, 19:43   #647

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
OpenPlotter project

Open plotter is 7.1 is awesome!!!
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:03   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenskipper View Post
I can't connect to the marina Hotspot with WLAN1, because I am not "authorized". I see the hotspot in Wifi taskbar.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

SOLVED: Via VNC it works. It is an issue with RDP. Thanks for your hints!
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Alpenskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 01:52   #649

Boat: Supero 800, 26'

First of all thank you Sailoog! This project seems to be everything I've wanted in a boat electronics solution. When i discovered the project yesterday, I immediately bought a new PI and some accessories from the Sailoog shop. I can't wait to get started!

Now for three questions i while I wait for the new toys:

1: DS18B20 temperature sensor:
I have bought a couple with the intention of measuring sea water and exhaust coolant water temperatures, but I can't figure out how to install them. Is it possible to get a good reading by mounting the sensor to the outside of the excess water tube, or do I have to cut a hole to insert the sensor on the inside of the tube? Has anyone got a good tip?
Also, does anyone have a good tip on how to measure the sea water temperature?

2: Fuel flow sensor:
Has anyone done this yet or have a suggestion for a sensor that will work with open plotter?

3: Digital compass / IMU solution:
I need a digital compass for the solution, but I can only find boards that are meant to be attached to the raspberry, and my understanding is that it is much better to have the compass mounted on the outside of the boat, away from any other electronics that could interfere. What are your thoughts on a good digital compass solution?

Thanks!
/Frederik
fbraad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 04:24   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbraad View Post
I have bought a couple with the intention of measuring sea water and exhaust coolant water temperatures, but I can't figure out how to install them. Is it possible to get a good reading by mounting the sensor to the outside of the excess water tube, or do I have to cut a hole to insert the sensor on the inside of the tube? Has anyone got a good tip?
Also, does anyone have a good tip on how to measure the sea water temperature?

2: Fuel flow sensor:
Has anyone done this yet or have a suggestion for a sensor that will work with open plotter?

3: Digital compass / IMU solution:
I need a digital compass for the solution, but I can only find boards that are meant to be attached to the raspberry, and my understanding is that it is much better to have the compass mounted on the outside of the boat, away from any other electronics that could interfere. What are your thoughts on a good digital compass solution?
2: Yes, there is some theoretic work done around it and pulse sensors interface has been added to the roadmap. Something like this Flow Sensor

3: Yes, IMU better away from metallic and electronic stuff. Compatible devices: https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...mu_sensor.html
Old 25-03-2016, 04:33   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYVoyager View Post
Hi sailoog,

Her goes ...

pi@openplotter:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:fd49 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd ShipModul MiniPlex-4xUSB-AIS NMEA Multiplexer
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

In addition a /dev/serial/by-id directory is created with a device name at which I could recognize the Shipmodul NMEA MUX. So the dices seems to be recognized but the NMEA datastream not.

Assitance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michel.
We have implemented in v0.8.0beta an useful tool to manage USB connections (manage udev) and this would be a perfect case to test it. Do you mind posting here to make a run test?
OpenMarine - How do I...?
Old 25-03-2016, 04:35   #652

Here the OpenPlotter project RoadMap:

[READ ME] To do list

Old 25-03-2016, 04:37   #653
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbraad View Post
I just cable tied (zip tied) mine to the cylinder head & exhaust goose neck as a test ( still there )
It's metal to metal & seemed to work fine.

This is the same senors recorded by an arduino..

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 11:04   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Ta
Thinking about it, while waiting for the dashboard & logbook to catch up it might be just as easy for anyone desperate to get the data into those plugins to use the excellent NmeaConverter. NMEA Converter | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Though the barometer readings get rounded up, which might change soon hopefully. I'm using a bmp180 on an arduino now so just write the sentence required in there.

Plus, OpenCPN 4.2 out, hopefully will be on the Rasp Pi jessie repositories soon.
Would really like NMEA Converter. But I can't find it for OpenCPN 4.2. Anyone?
stakston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 12:35   #655
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakston View Post
Would really like NMEA Converter. But I can't find it for OpenCPN 4.2. Anyone?
https://github.com/RooieDirk/NmeaConverter_pi

/Petter
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 13:14   #656

Boat: C&C 34

Hi,
Great project. I just bought my first Raspberry Pi last week. A Pi3 and the installation was pretty uneventful. This being my first real venture in the raspian world I was very surprised how easy and intuitive the OpenPlotter set us is.

One thing I would love to do is monitor my holding and water tank levels. I looked at ultrasonic sensors first, but they all seem to have some issues. The ones that will measure in close are not waterproof and the ones that are waterproof are blind to 25cm. After some research I came to the conclusion that a standard resistance type sensor would probably work best for this.

Are there any plans to incorporate some sort of ship monitoring systems such as tank levels, bilge pump actuation and the sort? Or does anyone know of a program that will accomplish this?

Thanks, Great Work!!
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 13:57   #657

Boat: Laguna 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I just cable tied (zip tied) mine to the cylinder head & exhaust goose neck as a test ( still there )

It's metal to metal & seemed to work fine.

This is the same senors recorded by an arduino..

I have zip tied one to brass raw water intake for engine cooling in attempt to get an approximation of seawater temp. Haven't had an opportunity to see how it works in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 16:49   #658

Great update, I am now. On 0.8.0 on an rpi3 and it seems to work fine.
One question though, how is the 0183-signalk-parser included, I can't find it in the file system. It would be great if there was a way to update all the dependencies from the gui, as there are a lot of good things happening these days on kplex, openplotter and signal k
joachim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 22:17   #659

OpenPlotter project

Hi,

I want to use my Raspi3 with Openplotter (0,71) to share the marina wifi inside the boat.

Principally I can connect, but the wifi is unstable. The internal access point (wlan) disappeares after a while, or isn't visible at all after a reboot.
Wlan1 is a TP-Link wifi dongle that runs fine, without extra drivers.

I tried so far:

Install a virgin image of openplotter
Update, upgrade, update openplottegit clone...)
Testing the Wlan1 dongle on a notebook - rocksolid
Trying without wlan1 and hotspot sharing, only using openplotter as AP - wifi unstable, AP disappears

So I guess it has something to to with the internal wlan0 and openplotter. As the AP often is not visible directly after rebooting, it shouldn't be a powersave issue.

Any suggestions?

best regards,

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Alpenskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 22:49   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
McElch, I am trying to communicate with you by email and forums but no luck. I have the NMEA 0183 converters, please contact me.
Hi Sailoog,

sorry, much work here. Season Start...

Emailed you twice, however. Would love to get 2 of the repeaters.

Suggestion: I send you the Money by PayPal (mailadress?), and you send all together with a invoice?

Much thx in advance!
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote