Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17   #541

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Try to fix the wrong pressure and temperature readings clicking the buton Reset in I2C sensors tab.

Do not worry about inspector and waterfall errors when closing, they are normal because we are killing process by brute force while they are working. Once restarted inspector an waterfall windows will work as expected.

Thanks for reporting!
The reset did the trick - the readings look good. Thanks!
svlittlewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:22   #542
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Do you mean OpenGL accel or overclocking?
Opengl, if it's enabled in the old raspi config then when booting up headless no access point appears.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47   #543

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I wanted to point out that the magnetometer calibration to the rotated ellipsoid may work but unfortunately the equation is formulated so that the 9 calibration constants calculated will change with every different geographical location rendering the calibration incorrect.

So basically the equations used are not the best.

Also the magnetometers must be aligned to the other sensors which is an additional (hopefully small) rotation needed before they can be blended with the other sensors to give attitude.

Further, if you have gyroscopes you can really calibrate the magnetometers much better than using a single magnitude measurement.

It makes a lot of sense to have more than 3 axes of each sensor type as well as this also greatly improves calibration abilities... so 6 accels 6 gyros 6 mags could work well with no parallel axes.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I wanted to point out that the magnetometer calibration to the rotated ellipsoid may work but unfortunately the equation is formulated so that the 9 calibration constants calculated will change with every different geographical location rendering the calibration incorrect.

So basically the equations used are not the best.

Also the magnetometers must be aligned to the other sensors which is an additional (hopefully small) rotation needed before they can be blended with the other sensors to give attitude.

Further, if you have gyroscopes you can really calibrate the magnetometers much better than using a single magnitude measurement.

It makes a lot of sense to have more than 3 axes of each sensor type as well as this also greatly improves calibration abilities... so 6 accels 6 gyros 6 mags could work well with no parallel axes.
Do you know any other calibration method we can use?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:47   #545

Boat: Pearson 385

Hello all!

Sailoog and I have been working on a website/forum that will allow us to organize the OpenPlotter and OpenMarine.net projects better. It has specific areas for general discussion, bug reports, wish lists, and a brag board where you can show off your work. Feel free to stop by!

Vamonos
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:50   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
Hello all!

Sailoog and I have been working on a website/forum that will allow us to organize the OpenPlotter and OpenMarine.net projects better. It has specific areas for general discussion, bug reports, wish lists, and a brag board where you can show off your work. Feel free to stop by!

Vamonos

Welcome to the new OpenMarine.Net !! | OpenMarine

Old 10-03-2016, 10:52   #547

Hear hear!! Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:52   #548

HA!! A link is helpful!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:24   #549

Boat: NAB 38, 11.45 m

Please verify email functions of your new site. The welcome/registration email seems stuck somewhere on its way.
Screwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdiver View Post
Please verify email functions of your new site. The welcome/registration email seems stuck somewhere on its way.
Looks like it's working from here. Several have signed up in the last 15 minutes. Check your spam?
Old 10-03-2016, 23:39   #551

Hi!

I need held to get Openplotter running on my just arrived Raspberry Pi 3.

I wrote the "openplotter_rpi_v0.6.0.img" to a 8GB Scandisk 10 card with windiskimager.

Put the SD card in the RPI, the green LED flickers for about half a second and the the LED starts blinking 4x long 4x short, repetively.

I unquoted the headless section in the config.txt, because I do not have a HDMI Monitor in the moment. No WLAN shows up, but I am quite shure, the RPI doesnt even start to boot. Same blinking when not running in headless mode.
I tried another SD card, too. On the PC the SD card is readable.

There is one thing, I am wondering about: The installed openplotter_rpi_v0.6.0.img on the SC card takes only 19,3 MB of disk space. Is this correct?

best regards,

Martin
Alpenskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 00:02   #552

Hi Martin,
It can be that windows is not reporting the correct size. Once your RPI is booted, you can use the configtool in the menu to expand the raspberry-OS to use the full capacity of the SD card.

The blink code indicates that 'loader.bin' is not launched (R-Pi Troubleshooting - eLinux.org), so my guess is that something went wrong with the image transfer to sd..

You can try winflashtool (WinFLASHTool)?
I don't have any experience with windows, since I use a Mac, but even then I never got the headless mode to play nice. You can try to re-comment the section in the config.txt, and just start headless regardless. The Pi should boot in 640*480 mode and be accessible through VNC.

On second thought: if you haven't configured wifi, there's no point in booting headless, since you can't access the machine to configure it.

Maybe you have a regular HDMI-television somewhere? That's what I used for setup purposes..

Good luck!
skyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 00:48   #553

Hello skyhi,

Thank you for your fast reply. Sorry, I cant get a HDMI Monitor in the moment. But I am so keen to see OpenPlotter the first time, I try to get it running in headless mode.

I just wrote the newest raspian image to the SD card. Same card an procedure as with the OpenPlotter image.
The RPI seems to boot. After booting the green LED ist flashing constantly, what I interprete as normal action.

Martin

For the access to WLAN I followed Sailoogs instructions:
Headless

In order to save money and power, you can use the system without monitor. Connecting your desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone to OpenPlotter by remote desktop, you will be able to access to the interface. To do this, we have to convert openplotter into a WiFi hotspot to connect our devices.
Once we have created the SD card with OpenPlotter RPI, we have to insert it into any computer with any OS (Linux, MAC, Windows). The mounted device should be called boot and there should be a file called config.txt. Open this file in a text editor like notepad on windows, but not anything like MS Word which can save it as something which is not just plain text.
The top lines should look like this:
[OPENPLOTTER] #HEADLESS #uncomment to force screen resolution (only VNC remote desktop) #framebuffer_width=800 #framebuffer_height=600 #uncomment to set WiFi access point #device=wlan0 #ssid=OpenPlotter #pass=12345678 [RASPBIAN] ...
Old 11-03-2016, 01:27   #554
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenskipper View Post
I just wrote the newest raspian image to the SD card. Same card an procedure as with the OpenPlotter image.
The RPI seems to boot. After booting the green LED ist flashing constantly, what I interprete as normal action.

Martin
Hi Alpenskipper, sort of good news, it sounds like your Pi is OK. I just followed the instruction I wrote up here and I'm getting the same result as you, green LED flashes 4 times fast then 4 times slow then repeats after a moments gap.

The same SD card works fine headless in a Pi 2 so it sounds like something to do with the Pi 3.

I'll see what I can find out and report back here.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:33   #555

@ conachair: Thanks for your confirmation. I guess there was s.o. here, who run Openplotter on a RPI3. Sailoog also told me it should work.

Martin