Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 03:12   #511
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYVoyager View Post
I've tried OpenPlotter on an old RPI (1) and it works fine. On a new RPI 3 I have problems with the screen(driver?) My HDMI display is only partly used (square only) and the image shown is a kind of rainbow pattern, and that's the only image shown. My new Pi works well with a standard Raspian or Ubuntu MATE with no problems whatsoever.

Who had idea's what the problem is??

Regards,

Michel.
The original RPI power supply is of excellent quality and solves the problem with under powering that is especially a problem with openGL enabled since this setting is pounding grapic/cpu harder and thereby uses mote power.

The rainbow pattern is implemented in PI's hardware level independent of OS loaded so that might be the reason for not displaying "warning text"
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:55   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenskipper View Post
Hi,Is there already a SMS alert function running?
Hi Martin,

SMS function would require the presence of a 3G stick (SIM Card), but is as far as i know not yet implemented. Most of the other features you want to use already are.

Btw: i´m from Germany too, and we have some users here talking about openplotter...
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:48   #513
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenPlotter project - connecting devices

I'm running latest (0.7) openplotter. GPS is configured and enabled in NMEA 0183 connections and works fine. If I start the system and the GPS is not connected at start-up and then connect the GPS while running, I will have to press the restart (kplex) button on the NMEA 0183 tab for the GPS to start streaming NMEA data to the system.

If possible, I suggest to try to change this behaviour so that if the device (in this case GPS) is already configured and enabled in openplotter, it should be detected and enabled when connected if not already present when the system starts without having to manually restart kplex.

/Petter
Old 06-03-2016, 14:22   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Hi Martin,

SMS function would require the presence of a 3G stick (SIM Card), but is as far as i know not yet implemented. Most of the other features you want to use already are.

Btw: i´m from Germany too, and we have some users here talking about openplotter...

What about a SIM800 GSM module?

https://www.itead.cc/raspberry-pi-si...d-on-v2-0.html

The SMS function is essential for me. Is the implementation difficult for RPi beginners?

@McElch: I already found your discussion :-).

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Alpenskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 16:09   #515

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:

The SMS function is essential for me. Is the implementation difficult for RPi beginners?

Martin

I use an Adafruit Fona with my pi to send SMS and make web requests. I haven't tried it with openplotter yet but OP allows you to define custom actions on events, so it should be easy to have events trigger something like the Fona send an SMS. Alternatively, I believe OP can send tweets if you have an Internet connection, and you should be able to get SMS alerts from Twitter when an account tweets, so that may be a work around.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:24   #516

wrong path at IMU calibration

Hi all,

I'm testing openplotter v0.7.0beta
I run a raspberry pi 2 with BerryIMU motion and heading sensor.
When trying the Calibration of the IMU, "the calibrate magnetometer with ellipsoid" feature fails with:

error: no such file, 'home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit.m'
error: source: error sourcing file '/home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit.m'
Ellipsoid fit returned 256 - aborting.

The file RTEllipsoidFit.m can be found in a subfolder:
home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit/RTEllipsoidFit.m

Regards,

Karel
Timpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:48   #517

Quote:
I am very interested in the OpenPlotter Project, especially in the monitor/ security capabilities.

I know, that is not the core OpenPlotter was designed for, but I guess, here are a lot of people, that have the technical knowledge.
OpenPlotter wants support as many monitor/security capabilities as it can. But remember, never leave the security and safety of your boat only in hands of OpenPlotter or any electrical system.

Quote:
The following features I would like to have:
SMS sensor status and alarms. (It's on the list)
2-4 temperature sensors. (It's ready to use)
humidity sensor. (It's ready to use)
water in bilge sensor. (It's ready to use)
low battery power alarm. (It's on the list)
shore power off alarm. (It's on the list)
security alarm (sensors?). (It's ready to use)
relay switch AC current. (It's on the list)
Quote:
I am shure technically that can be done, but I am a RPI and Linux idiot. I guess I can configure the RPI, but I am not capable of e.g. phyton scripting.
The goal of OP is to be easy for linux or marine technology beginners. No programming. Just plug, set and play.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:57   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I'm running latest (0.7) openplotter. GPS is configured and enabled in NMEA 0183 connections and works fine. If I start the system and the GPS is not connected at start-up and then connect the GPS while running, I will have to press the restart (kplex) button on the NMEA 0183 tab for the GPS to start streaming NMEA data to the system.

If possible, I suggest to try to change this behaviour so that if the device (in this case GPS) is already configured and enabled in openplotter, it should be detected and enabled when connected if not already present when the system starts without having to manually restart kplex.

/Petter
I'm afraid this depends on kplex and it doesn't have some re-connect option for serial inputs. However, I'm quite sure you can achieve this using gpsd. Go to OpenPlotter > settings > Set GPSD. Once GPSD conf file is configured, go to OpenPlotter > NMEA 0183 and create a network input. Click on GPSD buton and fields will be auto-completed. Save, Apply changes and reset.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:02   #519
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
I'm afraid this depends on kplex and it doesn't have some re-connect option for serial inputs. However, I'm quite sure you can achieve this using gpsd. Go to OpenPlotter > settings > Set GPSD. Once GPSD conf file is configured, go to OpenPlotter > NMEA 0183 and create a network input. Click on GPSD buton and fields will be auto-completed. Save, Apply changes and reset.
It's probably worth mentioning as well that openplotter relies on GPS set the system time, so it's a very good idea to make sure that the GPS is connected and turned on before starting openplotter.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:06   #520

Quote:

Martin

I am implementing SMS support for phones and 3G dongles connected to OpenPlotter with libGammu. This should allow you not only to set alarms and send SMS but also get SMS and trigger actions

Supported phones and dongles: http://wammu.eu/phones/
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
It's probably worth mentioning as well that openplotter relies on GPS set the system time, so it's a very good idea to make sure that the GPS is connected and turned on before starting openplotter.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk
True.
There is an option in Startup tab named Delay for lazy GPS
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13   #522

Re: wrong path at IMU calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpe View Post
Hi all,

I'm testing openplotter v0.7.0beta
I run a raspberry pi 2 with BerryIMU motion and heading sensor.
When trying the Calibration of the IMU, "the calibrate magnetometer with ellipsoid" feature fails with:

error: no such file, 'home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit.m'
error: source: error sourcing file '/home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit.m'
Ellipsoid fit returned 256 - aborting.

The file RTEllipsoidFit.m can be found in a subfolder:
home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit/RTEllipsoidFit.m

Regards,

Karel
Is this at the beginning of ellipsoid calibration or at the end?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:50   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
The original RPI power supply is of excellent quality and solves the problem with under powering that is especially a problem with openGL enabled since this setting is pounding grapic/cpu harder and thereby uses mote power.

The rainbow pattern is implemented in PI's hardware level independent of OS loaded so that might be the reason for not displaying "warning text"
Hi petter5,

What I did to rule a possible faulty power supply out was to connect the Pi3 to a high quality lab. power supply. No result after searching the web a suggestion was mentioned to add boot_delay=1 to the config.txt file. Again no result. Like I said earlier booting the Pi3 with another firmware Raspian or UBUNTU MATE gives a perfect result.

Any suggestions are welcome!!
SYVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:04   #524
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYVoyager View Post
Hi petter5,

What I did to rule a possible faulty power supply out was to connect the Pi3 to a high quality lab. power supply. No result after searching the web a suggestion was mentioned to add boot_delay=1 to the config.txt file. Again no result. Like I said earlier booting the Pi3 with another firmware Raspian or UBUNTU MATE gives a perfect result.

Any suggestions are welcome!!
First of all, I has not tested Pi3, but I know it requires 2,5 amp power supply and not 2 amp as Pi2 and earlier models. Use a multimeter to measure volt level at the pi to be sure that the supplied voltage is correct. Is there any other users in this forum seeing the same problem with Pi3 and openplotter ?? - Have you tried to go to command line and do a
Code:
rpi-update
?? and then reboot ? If you disconnect al GPS and other devises, does you still have the same problem ? If not, it is for sure to input volt. It might be that openplotter enables all these devises and increase the power consumption, but under other firmware they are not enabled and the system does then use less power.
Old 07-03-2016, 18:26   #525

Testing V0.7.0 on a Pi 2. It looks real good - lots of progress! I did want to pass along three issues I ran into. Wish I could contribute to fixing them - but I'm just getting started. Hope this helps.

BMP180 sensor is recognized as I2C sensor (Thanks!) , but temps at -185 C and pressure at .9865 hPa are reported . The multiple DS18B20's (Thanks again!) all report correctly at 70.5F to 70.7F

When closing the NMEA Inspector window - the following errors are raised:
Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 763, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/output.py", line 267, in refresh_loop
wx.CallAfter(self.refresh_data)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py", line 16708, in __getattr__
raise PyDeadObjectError(self.attrStr % self._name)
PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the MyFrame object has been deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.

Exception in thread Thread-1:
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 763, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/output.py", line 164, in parse_data
if frase_nmea and self.pause_all==0:
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py", line 16708, in __getattr__
raise PyDeadObjectError(self.attrStr % self._name)
PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the MyFrame object has been deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.

When closing the AIS waterfall window the following errors are raised:
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Exact sample rate is: 1000000.026491 Hz
invalid command name "1930453080_on_timer"
while executing
"1930453080_on_timer"
("after" script)
File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 193, in <module>
main()
File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 186, in main
wf.start()
File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/waterfall.py", line 163, in start
pyl.show()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py", line 155, in show
return _show(*args, **kw)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/backend_bases.py", line 184, in __call__
self.mainloop()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py", line 71, in mainloop
Tk.mainloop()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 413, in mainloop
_default_root.tk.mainloop(n)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'tk'
svlittlewing is offline   Reply With Quote