Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 15:25   #466
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 479
Re: OpenPlotter project

SPI GPS.

I'm using openplotter with NAVIO+ board and the onboard Ublox SPI GPS seens to work if using the Navio utility "ublox-spi-to-tcp" example - (i'm currently indoors so the coverage is poor with no position fix, but as you can see, satellites is reported from the GPS)

Code:
git clone https://github.com/emlid/Navio
Code:
cd /Navio/Utilities/ublox-spi-to-tcp
Code:
make
Aftec compiling the utility and running it with port 5002

Code:
./ublox-spi-to-tcp 5002
you can add a localhost tcp connection to port 5002 and the GPS seems to work

According to the NAVIO documentation, a lot of sensors like accel / gyro seems to function better with a real time kernel Real-time Linux for RPi2 - Emlid

Could switching to this kernel also improve sensor accuracy for Openplotter ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	119427  
__________________

__________________
petter5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 05:41   #467
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddaneel View Post
Hi Conachair, as befits a newbie my ds18 problem is much more basic so please see if you can help. I cannot use GPIO4 (pin7) as my gps add-on uses that pin. How do I change the code or programme to say use GPIO12 or 16 (pin 32 or 36) on the RPi instead. many thanks Richard
open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
At the end of the file you should see a line like this:

Quote:
dtoverlay=w1-gpio
replace it by:

Quote:
dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=x
where x is your desired GPIO pin

Save and reset

Not sure but it might work. Report please.
__________________

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 06:07   #468
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppokurki View Post
Signal K Node server will nowadays (since a few days) serve all incoming NMEA0183 data over tcp port 10110.

Other than that you can use gpsd to connect to the serial line and have SK server and (I assume) Openplotter connect to its tcp port.
Hi teppokurki, glad to see you here. Do you mean that SK node server now converts NMEA from tcp localhost:10110 to SK automatically? I was doing this creating a tcp provider instance in settings folder. Should I stop doing it?

Conachair has NMEA and signalk flowing by the same serial input and I think gpsd filters data and serves just GPS and AIS NMEA data. Not sure about this.

Maybe the solution for him is not to create json SK data but NMEA using XDR and let the NMEA-SK converter do the task (with the modifications suggested by damianham to parse XDR data)
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 08:13   #469
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 22
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
At the end of the file you should see a line like this:

replace it by:

where x is your desired GPIO pin

Save and reset

Not sure but it might work. Report please.
Hi sailoog

Thanks a stack worked perfectly.

regards

richard
__________________
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 15:42   #470
Registered User
 
McElch's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dresden
Posts: 18
Re: OpenPlotter project

What a silence here for a few days!? However, for me openplotter works great as far as i went...

Now i try the next steps with sensors. I bought a firs 1wire sensor and it worked perfect as expected within the first attempt.

Next try: Bought a MPU-6050 and wired it like found here:

Bitify: Interfacing Raspberry Pi and MPU-6050

But openplotter does not see the sensor. Did i miss a thing?

In rasperry-config, i2c is enaled...

By the way: a user in a german forum tried to share the Internet connection with a ppp0 device with the tweak sayed here before (share = ppp0 in openplotter.conf) and it worked!
__________________
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 01:08   #471
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: East Med
Posts: 59
Question Re: OpenPlotter project

Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding information on connecting multiple sensors to a Raspberry Pi 2?

I can see how 1 or 2 would be wired but not multiple sensors i.e. IMU, pressure, humidity, PIR, switches etc etc. There could be 10 or more!

There are only so many pins on the pie so how ever do all these things get wired, I am assuming that some pins are shared!?

Also, what other parts do I need to buy to wire all these together? Boards, wires etc? Got a load of goodies that I don't know how to fit! Lol.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 02:58   #472
Registered User
 
McElch's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dresden
Posts: 18
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post

Bitify: Interfacing Raspberry Pi and MPU-6050

But openplotter does not see the sensor. Did i miss a thing?

In rasperry-config, i2c is enabled...
Found it: In my case, it was not enough to check I2C enabled in Rasperry Pi Configuration.

After running the old raspi-config and enabeling it there, it works!

Now that it works, i see another Problem: Turning the magetometer on the desk does not affect the shown Position in OpenCPN. Shouldnt it turn too?

My aim to buy this sensor was, to see the Ships real Position, eg if it floats down the river sideways. This seems for me to be the difference between MAG heading and TRUE heading, isnt it? But this is more a OpenCPN Thing than a Openplotter Thing im afraid.
__________________
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 04:52   #473
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
By the way: a user in a german forum tried to share the Internet connection with a ppp0 device with the tweak sayed here before (share = ppp0 in openplotter.conf) and it worked!
Nice, thanks for the info, so I'm going to add ppp detection to be available in share list.
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:12   #474
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding information on connecting multiple sensors to a Raspberry Pi 2?

I can see how 1 or 2 would be wired but not multiple sensors i.e. IMU, pressure, humidity, PIR, switches etc etc. There could be 10 or more!

There are only so many pins on the pie so how ever do all these things get wired, I am assuming that some pins are shared!?

Also, what other parts do I need to buy to wire all these together? Boards, wires etc? Got a load of goodies that I don't know how to fit! Lol.

Thanks in advance.
All will be in documentation site. We are working on it...

wiring multiple DS18B20
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...n/DS18B20.html

I2c sensors share pins SDA, SCL, GND and PWR according this diagram. PWR pin might be 3.3v or 5v depending your sensor needs, no mistake here, could kill your sensor.
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...n/sensors.html

For common switches and special switches (PIR, door...) I will try to write some draft as soon as possible.

And you are right, there are too much to connect and pins to share. Pins are not the best way. You can acquire some board (hat) with screw connectors that makes easy wiring multiple sensors to the same pins. Last week I have been testing some hats and next week I will recommend and sell some boards. Search on google by "prototype shield", raspberry prototype hat"...
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:27   #475
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Found it: In my case, it was not enough to check I2C enabled in Rasperry Pi Configuration.

After running the old raspi-config and enabeling it there, it works!

Now that it works, i see another Problem: Turning the magetometer on the desk does not affect the shown Position in OpenCPN. Shouldnt it turn too?

My aim to buy this sensor was, to see the Ships real Position, eg if it floats down the river sideways. This seems for me to be the difference between MAG heading and TRUE heading, isnt it? But this is more a OpenCPN Thing than a Openplotter Thing im afraid.
Do you mean the new Rasperry Pi Configuration interface didn't do the work and the old one did? Anyway, I2C should be enabled by default in OpenPlotter
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:34   #476
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

oh my god, Raspberry 3 is in the oven
Raspberry Pi 3 to feature on-board WiFi, Bluetooth - Liliputing

64 bits and built-in support for WiFi and Bluetooth.
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 06:43   #477
Registered User
 
McElch's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dresden
Posts: 18
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Do you mean the new Rasperry Pi Configuration interface didn't do the work and the old one did? Anyway, I2C should be enabled by default in OpenPlotter
Yes, that was the case.

Might this could point to the problem: I observed some strange behavior when connected to the raspy via RDP. Some system-near settings do not work in a RDP session, but work if im logged in directly at the raspy, e.g. network settings.

It seems that user pi if logged in via RDP has lower permissons than if he is logged in locally.

As i only know it from Windows, could this be a user/group issue?

As far as i observed this, only GUI programms are affected. I could, for instance, not configure new PPP connections and some other settings in the graphical network settings tool due to insufficient rights (things were greyed out or produced error messages at saving).

No big deal as long as i test here from desk at home, but might get inconvenient when the raspy will be headless on his final place on the boat.

And yes, when i read about the upcoming raspi 3 today, my first thought was "OMG, have mercy with Sailoog and dont change it to much!"
__________________
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 02:03   #478
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Yes, that was the case.

Might this could point to the problem: I observed some strange behavior when connected to the raspy via RDP. Some system-near settings do not work in a RDP session, but work if im logged in directly at the raspy, e.g. network settings.

It seems that user pi if logged in via RDP has lower permissons than if he is logged in locally.

As i only know it from Windows, could this be a user/group issue?

As far as i observed this, only GUI programms are affected. I could, for instance, not configure new PPP connections and some other settings in the graphical network settings tool due to insufficient rights (things were greyed out or produced error messages at saving).

No big deal as long as i test here from desk at home, but might get inconvenient when the raspy will be headless on his final place on the boat.

And yes, when i read about the upcoming raspi 3 today, my first thought was "OMG, have mercy with Sailoog and dont change it to much!"
Good observation, it should be a permissions issue.

Related to new Raspberry 3, good news. Fully software and hardware compatibility. This morning they released a new Raspian and is still 32 bits, they are studying whether it is worth making a 64 bits version. So, the only point to test will be if the wifi built-in is compatible with current access point mode or we need to update.

Raspberry 3 ordered
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 04:08   #479
Registered User
 
McElch's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dresden
Posts: 18
Re: OpenPlotter project

Hi Sailoog,

today i have a non-technical, but commercial request:

I would really like to make a donation for your outstanding work! But for tax reasons, i need to buy something including a bill/receipt, when i do this from my companys account.

Beside the usual "donate" option, could you consider to offer something like a "Sponsoring Edition" e.g. of your Openplotter SD Card in your shop?

Lets say two versions with a 15,-/30,- Euro increased price? Hopefully im not the only one who would like to spend some bucks but needs a receipt...

Im sure you will not just live from all promised!
__________________
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:20   #480
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Hi Sailoog,

today i have a non-technical, but commercial request:

I would really like to make a donation for your outstanding work! But for tax reasons, i need to buy something including a bill/receipt, when i do this from my companys account.

Beside the usual "donate" option, could you consider to offer something like a "Sponsoring Edition" e.g. of your Openplotter SD Card in your shop?

Lets say two versions with a 15,-/30,- Euro increased price? Hopefully im not the only one who would like to spend some bucks but needs a receipt...

Im sure you will not just live from all promised!
Good idea

Done and I have added all the ways of collaborating to the documentation:
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...llaborate.html

I work as freelance web programmer and as professional sailor in summers but it would be wonderful to dedicate full time to OpenPlotter.
__________________

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Project Boat: Engineless 35'ish blue water cruiser project Max Sail Classifieds Archive 52 24-03-2013 13:27
Greetings + my project Marco Meets & Greets 8 27-02-2009 17:28
Major Project: What is the best way to organize our discussions? Andy R Forum Tech Support & Site Help 6 04-04-2006 15:21
Our ongoing project - Offshore 41 By Invitation Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 04-12-2005 07:42
Portal sailing website project CaptainTom Meets & Greets 2 20-03-2003 07:50


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.