Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 04:23   #316
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi View Post
I guess you're right about the power issue, on my mac, the gps came up pretty quick, and through the usb-hub (with 1 amp power supply) it didn't. Wiggling the sticks makes them light up, sometimes. the hub reported hubs within hubs within hubs, and the finally the connected sticks. Cheap trash..

O well, I'll wait for the mailman to arrive with a new, decent, powered hub soon.
Finding a reliable hub or power supplier are the most difficult task. OpenPlotter has proven to be very robust and the main source of issues are power management and fake hubs. I think I should explain this well in the documentation... maybe a troubleshooting chapter.

I recommend minimum 3A to power both raspberry and hub.

Hubs with FE1.1S chip work right, avoid hubs with MA8601 chip. Often the same model can contain any of them. And some of them do not contain chips at all! just a glob of black material to hide what's underneath ... nothing.
__________________

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:40   #317
Senior Cruiser
 
Vamonos's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Boat: Pearson 385
Posts: 176
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Finding a reliable hub or power supplier are the most difficult task. OpenPlotter has proven to be very robust and the main source of issues are power management and fake hubs. I think I should explain this well in the documentation... maybe a troubleshooting chapter.

I recommend minimum 3A to power both raspberry and hub.

Hubs with FE1.1S chip work right, avoid hubs with MA8601 chip. Often the same model can contain any of them. And some of them do not contain chips at all! just a glob of black material to hide what's underneath ... nothing.
Here is a list of hubs that have been tested/verified with RPi.

RPi Powered USB Hubs - eLinux.org

Richard
__________________

__________________
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:55   #318
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slidell, LA
Boat: Laguna 33
Posts: 80
Re: OpenPlotter project

Two items from Sailoog's release notes for 0.6.0 stable that I'm not sure have been discussed here previously:

Known issues:

Humidity sensors not detected when IMU sensors is not present.

SignalK instruments and gauges do not work properly due to Epiphany Web Browser issues. However they work ok from remote devices Web browsers.



I'm eager to try SignalK instruments this weekend! When they didn't work onscreen I didn't try externally.

Does 0.6.0 have the latest Signal K instrument code? We know there has been some work on that project recently.
__________________
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:38   #319
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 434
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Agree. I have tried every iDevice, phone, pad and laptop I can find in daylight and so far the only thing I could easily see direct sunlight was the black and white Kindle which, as far as I know, will not work with anything but displaying Kindle books.

The display for me is also the deal breaker. Sure they exist but even non waterproof, the daylight readable screens I've found are significantly more expensive than a full chart plotter. Once you add the computer to run the system there is even a greater disparity in the costs.


There are Panasonic Toughbooks that have daylight usable screens but they are also pretty costly.
I like Kindle idea, and Kindle runs linux underneath, so that could be some kind of project eventually. Maybe more interesting is the Kindle display, which AFAIK uses ePaper technology (hence monochrome). I've found some ePaper displays (small ones, 5 inches) for $50 online. If one could be found that is of a size that is a little more appropriate, it'd be interesting to see if that could play well as a cheap marine display alternative. Just google "ePaper display" for examples.

I don't know if the loss of color might be too much of an issue relative to current software tho ...
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles. Meanwhile - his master, with both left feet, still learns the ropes.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:56   #320
Senior Cruiser
 
Vamonos's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Boat: Pearson 385
Posts: 176
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post

SignalK instruments and gauges do not work properly due to Epiphany Web Browser issues. However they work ok from remote devices Web browsers.

I installed the Iceweasel web browser. It is a fork of Firefox for Debian Linux. It seemed to be a much better browser and handled HTML5 a little better.

Richard
__________________
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:00   #321
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slidell, LA
Boat: Laguna 33
Posts: 80
Re: OpenPlotter project

www.holdentechnology.com

This link is an oldie but a goodie, and seems to prove the concept. It would be good to have some simple bold numeric instruments to work in an e-reader browser.

Nowadays there are readers that are waterproof and backlit. And the battery life is good compared to a tablet.
__________________
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18   #322
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 434
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
www.holdentechnology.com

This link is an oldie but a goodie, and seems to prove the concept. It would be good to have some simple bold numeric instruments to work in an e-reader browser.

Nowadays there are readers that are waterproof and backlit. And the battery life is good compared to a tablet.
Thanks for the link. You're right, I think some of the modules are referred to as eInk rather than ePaper, but it's the same tech. As far as the Nook goes, I'd prefer not to root anything. The displays I found are HDMI ePaper/eInk.
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles. Meanwhile - his master, with both left feet, still learns the ropes.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31   #323
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 434
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
I have published the new stable v0.6.0 release:

Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.6.0 pre-release | Sailoog

I have set a 7/24 torrent server (actually my old raspberry 1) so now there is an alternative to kimdotcom

Now working on documentation and v0.7.0

I am in a hurry now, let me some time to answer the last posts
I've got an Odroid C1+ I wouldn't mind testing with OpenPlotter. Has there been any thought given to a port for that SoC/SBC?

Or, for that matter, any of the others? I guess the more popular ones are Odroid, Hummingboard, Beagle, Panda, Cubie, etc. I have a Pi2 as well, and it's currently set up with RISC-OS. Guess I could image another SD and give it a go ...
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles. Meanwhile - his master, with both left feet, still learns the ropes.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:07   #324
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slidell, LA
Boat: Laguna 33
Posts: 80
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
I've got an Odroid C1+ I wouldn't mind testing with OpenPlotter. Has there been any thought given to a port for that SoC/SBC?

Or, for that matter, any of the others? I guess the more popular ones are Odroid, Hummingboard, Beagle, Panda, Cubie, etc. I have a Pi2 as well, and it's currently set up with RISC-OS. Guess I could image another SD and give it a go ...
Sailoog has answered this earlier in this thread: there are many advantages to standardizing on a single platform early in development while things are evolving rapidly, but he does envision broader hardware support later on.
__________________
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:21   #325
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 434
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
Sailoog has answered this earlier in this thread: there are many advantages to standardizing on a single platform early in development while things are evolving rapidly, but he does envision broader hardware support later on.
Sounds good. I started with the Odroid, and then bought a Pi2 later, so I've done more things with the former than the latter. I have a Coast Guard HF weather-fax setup working on the Odroid. That could be something to (eventually) make accommodations for in OpenPlotter!
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles. Meanwhile - his master, with both left feet, still learns the ropes.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:46   #326
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
Does 0.6.0 have the latest Signal K instrument code? We know there has been some work on that project recently.
Yes, all changes until February 1, 1016.
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:02   #327
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Sounds good. I started with the Odroid, and then bought a Pi2 later, so I've done more things with the former than the latter. I have a Coast Guard HF weather-fax setup working on the Odroid. That could be something to (eventually) make accommodations for in OpenPlotter!
As saqqara says we have plans to migrate when development is done. Actually I started OpenPlotter on a Beaglebone Black and Odroid and then switched to raspberry due to the huge amount of information and support.

Really interested on e-ink devices here too. Look at this video, kindle browser + raspberry. My kindle doesn't want to connect to a network which doesn't have internet connection

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:10   #328
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

The first phase of documentation is about to finish. Just what is this, what I need and getting started chapters. I need some feedback about tested VNC and RDP remote desktop clients on different platforms to make a list here
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...e_desktop.html

Could you post your favourite apps?
Thanks!
__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:16   #329
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia.
Posts: 277
Re: OpenPlotter project

Oh my god, a portable OpenPlotter

__________________
OpenPlotter Project
Site:www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter
Support: www.openmarine.net
Sailoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:43   #330
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 434
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
As saqqara says we have plans to migrate when development is done. Actually I started OpenPlotter on a Beaglebone Black and Odroid and then switched to raspberry due to the huge amount of information and support.

Really interested on e-ink devices here too. Look at this video, kindle browser + raspberry. My kindle doesn't want to connect to a network which doesn't have internet connection

Thanks for the link. It's very interesting! I think it would be difficult to use a Kindle browser for all the functionality a typical yachtee could want, but you could work some of the main apps that way. Seems like Kindle is doing the usual lock-in kind of thing, wanting you always to have internet connectivity to connect to Amazon, get authentication codes, etc. I hate that sort of nonsense. Which Kindle did the "bicycle guy" have? He did mention that he was using the beta test browser, which maybe indicates that it was an older Kindle, one that didn't have as many built-in obstacles.

I'm thinking now more along the lines of using a straight e-Ink HDMI device, so that full (non-browser based) functionality could be utilized easily. Some of those displays are very reasonably priced, especially the smaller ones ...
__________________

__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles. Meanwhile - his master, with both left feet, still learns the ropes.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Project Boat: Engineless 35'ish blue water cruiser project Max Sail Classifieds Archive 52 24-03-2013 13:27
Greetings + my project Marco Meets & Greets 8 27-02-2009 17:28
Major Project: What is the best way to organize our discussions? Andy R Forum Tech Support & Site Help 6 04-04-2006 15:21
Our ongoing project - Offshore 41 By Invitation Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 04-12-2005 07:42
Portal sailing website project CaptainTom Meets & Greets 2 20-03-2003 07:50


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.