Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 02:05   #256

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
Re: OpenPlotter project

Hi Sailoog,

I have seen you have selected a thermal sensor, and I'm interested in all king of sensors. Could you please recommend me an IMU (with sourcing info) as I would like to experiment on that matter (even if it is not the final choice of the openplotter project).

I just joined a FabLab in order to meet with guys having a strong background in the matter, and also to have access to a large range of equipment which can be useful in prototyping (laser cutter, plasma cutter, 3D printers, digital routing machine, etc). Already met a couple of guys interested in AiS, and unaware of openplotter...

Thanks in advance !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 03:18   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Hi Sailoog,

I have seen you have selected a thermal sensor, and I'm interested in all king of sensors. Could you please recommend me an IMU (with sourcing info) as I would like to experiment on that matter (even if it is not the final choice of the openplotter project).

I just joined a FabLab in order to meet with guys having a strong background in the matter, and also to have access to a large range of equipment which can be useful in prototyping (laser cutter, plasma cutter, 3D printers, digital routing machine, etc). Already met a couple of guys interested in AiS, and unaware of openplotter...

Thanks in advance !
OpenPlotter supports out of the box (auto-detection):

IMU
  • InvenSense MPU-9150 single chip IMU.
  • InvenSense MPU-6050 plus HMC5883 magnetometer on MPU-6050's aux bus (handled by the MPU-9150 driver).
  • InvenSense MPU-6050 gyros + acclerometers. Treated as MPU-9150 without magnetometers.
  • InvenSense MPU-9250 single chip IMU (I2C and SPI).
  • STM LSM9DS0 single chip IMU.
  • STM LSM9DS1 single chip IMU.
  • L3GD20H + LSM303D (optionally with the LPS25H) as used on the Pololu AltIMU-10 v4.
  • L3GD20 + LSM303DLHC as used on the Adafruit 9-dof (older version with GD20 gyro) IMU.
  • L3GD20H + LSM303DLHC (optionally with BMP180) as used on the new Adafruit 10-dof IMU.
  • Bosch BMX055 (although magnetometer support is experimental currently).
  • Bosch BNO055 IMU with onchip fusion. Note: will not work reliably with RaspberryPi/Pi2 due to clock-stretching issues.
Pressure
  • BMP180
  • LPS25H
  • MS5611
  • MS5637
Humidity
  • HTS221
  • HTU21D

I have been testing in deep the berryIMU with LSM9DS0 chip and the InvenSense MPU-9250. BerryIMU had more accuracy out of the box without calibration and MPU-9250 was really inaccurate without calibration. After calibrating both of them had similar performance. Personally I prefer MPU-9250 because doesn't have barometer/temperature and I can seal it and waterproofing and is cheaper. That way I can put together humidity, pressure and temperature sensors sharing cables and non sealed box. But if you want an all in one solution and good performance, LSM9DS0 is the option.

The most important thing about magnetometers is calibration. Do not trust in uncalibrated devices.

I have plans of distributing the MPU-9250 in a sealed box but before that I have to find a reliable distributor and make more serious testing. Your new army of geeks with their terrific weapons would be a great help on this war
Old 22-01-2016, 03:53   #258

Sorry I forgot adafruit IMUs. They are always well documented.
Old 22-01-2016, 04:46   #259

Boat: Moody 44
SOLVED - cant get DS18B20 to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Frustrated ...
Does OP detect a DS18B20 on startup or does it have to be configured somehow?
I have one of these 5pcs DS18B20 Waterproof Sensor Digital thermometer Thermal Probe UK | eBay
connected
gnd GPIO pin 6
data GPIO pin 7
Power GPIO pin 17
4.7k across data and power
I cant see that the 1BW page on OP shows anything (greyed out)

After a bit of googling I found a solution and I edited config.txt to include

"dtoverlay=w1-gpio"

this fixed it and my study is at 21.2 deg

Sailoog
my image is pure Openplotter 0.0.6b3 so I cant explain why it didnt work initialy?
The only thing Ive added independently to my image is xrdp for windows remote desktop
Anyway thanks for help yesterday

PS a small Bug report
Condition:
Trigger for over temperature is set
action of "show message" is set
repeat option ON eg 10 seconds.

When the action is triggered by over temperature the resulting message box is repeated WITHOUT cancelling the previous messages.
Result: lots of overlaid message boxes to cancel
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 05:10   #260

Re: SOLVED - cant get DS18B20 to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
After a bit of googling I found a solution and I edited config.txt to include

"dtoverlay=w1-gpio"

this fixed it and my study is at 21.2 deg

Sailoog
my image is pure Openplotter 0.0.6b3 so I cant explain why it didnt work initialy?
The only thing Ive added independently to my image is xrdp for windows remote desktop
Anyway thanks for help yesterday

"dtoverlay=w1-gpio" is included on 0.6.0beta3 by default. Did you manipulate config.txt before? or just installed xrdp?
Could that be the reason I didn't include xrdp? I can't remember

I have detected that if you manipulate manually the config.txt file and you don't leave an empty last line, it will cause odd behaviours. That could be a Raspbian bug.
Old 22-01-2016, 06:06   #261

Boat: Moody 44
Re: SOLVED - cant get DS18B20 to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post

"dtoverlay=w1-gpio" is included on 0.6.0beta3 by default. Did you manipulate config.txt before? or just installed xrdp?
Could that be the reason I didn't include xrdp? I can't remember

I have detected that if you manipulate manually the config.txt file and you don't leave an empty last line, it will cause odd behaviours. That could be a Raspbian bug.
I cant remember if I edited config.txt. I dont think so but I'll take more care in future.
Thx for the tip re the last line - I'll go back and check
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:40   #262

Boat: Ericson 35 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Hi Sailoog,

Thanks in advance !
Didier, in case you aren't using an RPi (like me), I wrote up a guide for the MPU9150 (which should work for the MPU9250 too) for an Arduino. Another member of this forum used it to make a 10hz compass for his radar with the cheap Arduino Uno.

http://kingtidesailing.blogspot.com/...mpensated.html

However, I do sort of use the Pi as a wireless multiplexer, which means it'd probably be simpler had I originally gone with OpenPlotter to begin with... oh well. I just picked up a used NMEA Repeater on eBay for $49 that accepts the VDR sentence, which is what I was originally looking for anyway, so it's worked out all right.
Old 22-01-2016, 11:48   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBillings View Post
Didier, in case you aren't using an RPi (like me), I wrote up a guide for the MPU9150 (which should work for the MPU9250 too) for an Arduino. Another member of this forum used it to make a 10hz compass for his radar with the cheap Arduino Uno.

King Tide Sailing: How to Make an NMEA-0183 Tilt-Compensated Compass and Rate-Of-Turn Indicator

However, I do sort of use the Pi as a wireless multiplexer, which means it'd probably be simpler had I originally gone with OpenPlotter to begin with... oh well. I just picked up a used NMEA Repeater on eBay for $49 that accepts the VDR sentence, which is what I was originally looking for anyway, so it's worked out all right.
Excellent articles!

Quote:
Now Why Is a Marine Compass so Expensive?
Aside from the obvious "it has the word 'marine' in the title, so it costs X times more...

We are using the same libraries but adapted to python so both codes arduino and python will work with MPU9150 and MPU9250.
Old 23-01-2016, 01:09   #264

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sailoog

Is there anyway of using the composite video input on some plotters to display third party data?

I use OpenCpn on a laptop below decks, the issue is getting the data on deck.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
Hi.
I use opencpn. Goto settings and set your opencpn to server mode. Run the opencpn APP for android and point the data input to the cpn server.
If you just want instruments, just display the instruments an a TAB type device.
Works well
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 07:40   #265

Boat: Laguna 33

Hi Sailoog, has the specific hardware been selected for the upcoming SPI ADC?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 10:09   #266

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Yes, build some waterproof case, connect a wifi dongle and start the headless system from your computer/phone/tablet.

I am about to finish an industrial look waterproof case, I will publish here when is done.

Analog sensor is on the "to do" list (SPI interface) and the first application will be voltage and current monitoring. It would be great to hear rev counter interfacing ideas.
Im looking for a headless system , connected to an Android pad or phone.
I wont include sdr-ais decoding at first , only gps and engine instruments.

Most pressure and temp sensors use resistance to ground, two pole isolated sensors are avaliable too.

Most Aftermarket rpm gauges uses the unrectified ac output frome the charging system as source. 6-20 volt ac , 4-12 poles/magnets.

.manitu
Old 23-01-2016, 11:11   #267

I've been playing around with open plotter, in the first instance, I'm hoping to use it to decode AIS signals and send them to an android tablet running OpenCPN.

I've got everything installed, I've calibrated the receiver, but I never seem to get any signals (I'm about 500yds from a marina, and Marine Traffic shows signals there).

From the NMEA inspector, I can see the following status messages when I restart NMEA:
Failed to connect with localhost: 101101.Error: 111, trying to reconnect

This is then replaced by the message

Failed to connect with localhost: 101101.Error: Timed out, waiting for data...

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
misterjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 13:24   #268

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjenkins View Post
I've been playing around with open plotter, in the first instance, I'm hoping to use it to decode AIS signals and send them to an android tablet running OpenCPN.

I've got everything installed, I've calibrated the receiver, but I never seem to get any signals (I'm about 500yds from a marina, and Marine Traffic shows signals there).

From the NMEA inspector, I can see the following status messages when I restart NMEA:
Failed to connect with localhost: 101101.Error: 111, trying to reconnect

This is then replaced by the message

Failed to connect with localhost: 101101.Error: Timed out, waiting for data...

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
Hi mr. J.:
You write: 101101. Maybe you've got a "1" too many.
The settings in OpenCPN to receive the AIS output from your Raspberry with OpenPlotter should be like this:

Properties:Network
Protocol: TCP
Adress: 10.10.10.01
Port: 10110

See the attached screenshot.
Roel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings_OpenCPN.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	117357  
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 04:57   #269
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
Most pressure and temp sensors use resistance to ground, two pole isolated sensors are avaliable too.
Not sure if *most* are, the BMP180 works out of the box attached to the SPI pins on a Pi with openplotter, for temperature the ds18b20 thermometers are fantastic, though I've just been using them with an Arduino so far. Daisy chain up to 5 of them using only a single pin and the OneWire comms system, similar to I2C.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 05:59   #270

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Not sure if *most* are, the BMP180 works out of the box attached to the SPI pins on a Pi with openplotter, for temperature the ds18b20 thermometers are fantastic, though I've just been using them with an Arduino so far. Daisy chain up to 5 of them using only a single pin and the OneWire comms system, similar to I2C.
I was talking about Original and aftermarket outboard sensors . But glueing a BMP180 to the head could work, I guess. Any digital solution on the water pressure?

.Manitu