Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 15:35   #31

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: On Board PC -- Automatic Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I had three of them -- TZ, then TT, then Z2 with the i7 and 8 gigs of RAM. The Z2 obviously was better, but nothing remotely like the new Asus with Win 8.1, which does initial boot in like 10 seconds versus a minute or two for the Z2. Huge difference.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'll take your word for it, but I still suggest there is something significantly wrong somewhere (maybe sony bloatware). I'm in the middle of a 2200 seat Windows 7 - Windows 10 rollout for a client. There is very little boot speed difference after the upgrade. We easily achieved a 10 - 15 second boot with Windows 7 and an SSD. However, Windows 10 is quite a bit faster to the desktop after the login screen!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 15:44   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I'll take your word for it, but I still suggest there is something significantly wrong somewhere (maybe sony bloatware). I'm in the middle of a 2200 seat Windows 7 - Windows 10 rollout for a client. There is very little boot speed difference after the upgrade. We easily achieved a 10 - 15 second boot with Windows 7 and an SSD. However, Windows 10 is quite a bit faster to the desktop after the login screen!
Maybe bloatware. Or maybe the new computer will get worse after all the software is installed. But so far the difference is incredible. I guess "why" isn't all that important.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 15:48   #33

Quote:
Maybe bloatware. Or maybe the new computer will get worse after all the software is installed. But so far the difference is incredible. I guess "why" isn't all that important.
But if you answer the "why" then you may be able to reinstall those older laptops and have some very serviceable backups. Just in case you didn't know, those older laptops are eligible for a free upgrade to Win10.
Old 15-10-2015, 05:13   #34

Boat: Valiant 42
On Board PC -- Automatic Updates

Microsoft just released a security patch for old Windows versions. Even if you don't like to update your computer this patch is one you should really have. There is a huge hole in Internet explorer and it allows someone to do whatever they want to your computer. I imagine since they pushed this patch out to even Vista it is a whopper of a threat.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-106
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 12:56   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

DH, I would hold off on the Win 10 upgrade if I were you. I just upgraded my desktop, which is a new desktop, and even though I was one of the earliest users of Win 10 and it has been released for a while now I still don't think it is ready for prime time. It is in fact a PITA in many ways.

There are upgrades at least every week.

My system doesn't wake from sleep well although I never had a problem with that on this same system
with Win 7 pro. Now, when it awakes from sleep I have to shut down FF and restart it.

If the system goes into sleep by itself it seems to partially shut down and I have to power off and back up.

If I want to use OPEN WITH and the program is not a windows app I actually have to start the program and open the file from the program instead.

Just a few of things I find irksome.

Oh, bye the way, I don't notice it being any faster than Win 7 and I wont go into the gotcha's experienced during the upgrade.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 05:35   #36

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat

Hi Kish,
You stated that you use an android tablet and smartphone for weather and emails while underway. I assume that you are connecting via cellular infrastructure. Is your connectivity not severely limited and restricted. What about an ocean crossing, Do you connect via SAT? What is the best means of receiving and sending emails mid ocean or in remote areas.
Regards
Mike
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 06:16   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
DH, I would hold off on the Win 10 upgrade if I were you. I just upgraded my desktop, which is a new desktop, and even though I was one of the earliest users of Win 10 and it has been released for a while now I still don't think it is ready for prime time. It is in fact a PITA in many ways.

There are upgrades at least every week.

My system doesn't wake from sleep well although I never had a problem with that on this same system
with Win 7 pro. Now, when it awakes from sleep I have to shut down FF and restart it.

If the system goes into sleep by itself it seems to partially shut down and I have to power off and back up.

If I want to use OPEN WITH and the program is not a windows app I actually have to start the program and open the file from the program instead.

Just a few of things I find irksome.

Oh, bye the way, I don't notice it being any faster than Win 7 and I wont go into the gotcha's experienced during the upgrade.
OK, thanks for the tip.

I am still in ever-increasing awe of 8.1, so I'll stick with this for a while. It is such a total rethink of the whole user interface -- and radically for the better. The whole old Mac/Windows fumble around with icons is out the window (so to speak). The use of keyboard shortcuts is made much more powerful. The GUI with its Android-like tiles is far more useful than the fumbly old desktop, and in fact is a great leap beyond Android.

One thing which is funny about it is that it is obviously designed to work well with touch screens, but it works better that it would work with a touchscreen, with gestures on the touchpad. You just flick two fingers in whatever direction you want to move around, and boom, you're there. It builds on the Android idea but it works much better with the touchpad. I'm an old UNIX guy, who used DOS 1.0 et seq. quite happily, and really hated going to Windows 3.1 (I was the last person on earth, I guess, to start using a mouse), and hated all the different Mac interfaces even much more still (peace to a certain family member who was senior editor of MacWorld magazine ), and started grudgingly tolerating Windows only when right click menus were introduced, which was the first time you could actually do anything more easily in Windows than in DOS.

I would have gone to Linux, but I've observed friends using it and even though my UNIX background would facilitate the transition, I don't want to spend three hours every time I need to configure a driver -- waste of time. It's a hobby OS, it seems to me (I did have Linux phones, however -- Nokia N900 and N9 -- wonderful).

But now Windows 8.1 has just completely changed the way I interact with the machine. Since due to my work I spend the better part of most days interacting with my computer, this is a big deal for me. Sorry for going off on this tangent.

Concerning performance -- sleep mode is important for portable computers, and it never worked all that well on any of my previous machines. You'd have to do it just so, and it would take a bit of time to put it to sleep or wake it up. And then the crashes. . . This machine -- and it may be Asus engineering as much as Microsoft -- goes to sleep instantly and crash-free -- just by shutting the lid. And wakes up in a second. Crash free.

I can't believe how much I love this computer. And I only paid $590 for it after the rebate! Compared to about $3000 for the last one My first laptop was a Sharp PC-5000 (running DOS 1.0) which I bought in 1984 (for $4500). I've been changing laptops roughly every three years ever since. This Asus is the biggest leap forward in all those years.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 11-11-2015, 09:50   #38

The only problem with 8.1 is that some software that worked with 7 does not work with 8.1. Also fax and dial-up does not work with 8.1. Apparently shifting FXST30.dll from 7 to 8.1 should make fax to work and may also make dial up to work. Did not try yet.
I have 8.1 in $60 TrekSor’s 7’’ SurfTab and I like it.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:18   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
The only problem with 8.1 is that some software that worked with 7 does not work with 8.1. Also fax and dial-up does not work with 8.1. Apparently shifting FXST30.dll from 7 to 8.1 should make fax to work and may also make dial up to work. Did not try yet.
I have 8.1 in $60 TrekSor’s 7’’ SurfTab and I like it.
I haven't used fax or dial-up in 10 years at least! Good riddance to these obsolete technologies.

Has anyone used Microsoft Lens? This must surely be the last nail in the coffin of fax. Maybe even the first nail in the coffin of scanners. It turns a smartphone camera image of a document into a rectified scan. Brilliant! And free.

I continue to love, love, love Windows 8.1, the first time I have ever even liked any version of Windows.

I am for the first time on a really high speed data connection, where I have turned off the "metered connection" control, and it works even better. The navigation is simply superb. This is a masterpiece of user interface design. I never thought I would ever say something like that about a Microsoft product. They must have spent enormous sums of money developing this, and they seem to have started with an almost clean slate.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 11-11-2015, 10:39   #40

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
This is a masterpiece of user interface design. I never thought I would ever say something like that about a Microsoft product. They must have spent enormous sums of money developing this, and they seem to have started with an almost clean slate.
no, they just actualy checked how users used the interface instead of developers assuming what would be cool to have.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:51   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
no, they just actualy checked how users used the interface instead of developers assuming what would be cool to have.
It wasn't the developers, it was the managers. Up till recently MS had a very broken internal culture. The new CEO (Satya) has made huge progress in changing that.

you should see the Surface book. One of the coolest gadget designs I have seen in years. I dare say, it MS keeps this up, they will be the new Apple(who hasn't produced anything innovative in years).
Old 12-11-2015, 04:59   #42

Quote:
free.
How free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I'm on mobile broadband and recently drained all my credit when I accidentally switched data on for a Pay as You Go SIM @ $2.00 per megabyte while tethering my laptop.
This forum is free too but how free is it really?

To get online to this forum, my received data is between 40 to 70 megabyte with everything that I can block blocked, which is between $80 and $140 on a prepaid Broadband and every page that I receive is between 1.8 to 2.4 megabyte so long that the advertising does not contain too many videos or around $ 4 per page. Not so free after all.
On the days where Campbell Soup was among the few advertising pushed on pages, this forum was more affordable with a prepaid broadband @ $2.00 per megabyte, but not anymore.
It is clear to me that if it was not for the advertising this forum would not exist but it is to wonder if too much advertising will turn people away from an Internet whose dark side make it every day less attractive.
Now with a Dial Up unlimited, time and data, at $ 24 month and a connection fee of $ 0.22, then the Internet become more affordable and this forum can be regarded as free.
Also it appears that recently the technical staffs of this forum have done a good job of reducing the amount of advertising sent through a Dial Up connection. It definitely made no sens to display the same advertising on every post or to display video that cannot be played properly. A Dial Up page now is around 0.4 megabyte and more than half the time of its download is taken by advertising.
Is Dial Up on its way out? I doubt and it is a mistake to try to kill Dial Up by not providing it with 8.1.
Microsoft should realize that people who value Dial Up will not move into 8.1 if Dial Up is not provided and stay like me with XP Pro. And if Microsoft does not realize that no doubt other will.

Verizon-AOL Deal Shows Staying Power of Dial-Up Internet

I doubt fiberoptic cables will make much difference, as I see no reason why Dial Up cannot work with fiberoptic cables.
Here our fiberoptic system is an ill-conceived project that replaces a self-powered communication system with a system that required to be connected to the owner electrical system. If the power fails there is no more communication possible unless the system at owner level is provided with power backup. Like Chernobyl or Fukujima demonstrated, a good backup require good maintenance not easly provided in such a large scale.
The system is also plagued with poor performance and unwanted by many mobile broadband users and people that only wishes to have a phone line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Much easier with a Mac. Very handy as the (free) Mac OS upgrade from 10.10 to 10.11 is 6 gig!
Again what is (free) about that?

I bought an Ipad Mini Retina cellular last year. Got it online and without any warning it downloaded and downloaded. At the end of the download the cost of the down load was over $ 750, more than the unit was worth. Never got that rotten thing again online.
Definitely a clumsy machine unable to play wmv video. Hate to calculate what 6 gig will cost. Will never buy an Apple again.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:16   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
How free?

This forum is free too but how free is it really?

To get online to this forum, my received data is between 40 to 70 megabyte with everything that I can block blocked, which is between $80 and $140 on a prepaid Broadband and every page that I receive is between 1.8 to 2.4 megabyte so long that the advertising does not contain too many videos or around $ 4 per page. Not so free after all.
On the days where Campbell Soup was among the few advertising pushed on pages, this forum was more affordable with a prepaid broadband @ $2.00 per megabyte, but not anymore.
It is clear to me that if it was not for the advertising this forum would not exist but it is to wonder if too much advertising will turn people away from an Internet whose dark side make it every day less attractive.
Now with a Dial Up unlimited, time and data, at $ 24 month and a connection fee of $ 0.22, then the Internet become more affordable and this forum can be regarded as free.
Also it appears that recently the technical staffs of this forum have done a good job of reducing the amount of advertising sent through a Dial Up connection. It definitely made no sens to display the same advertising on every post or to display video that cannot be played properly. A Dial Up page now is around 0.4 megabyte and more than half the time of its download is taken by advertising.
Is Dial Up on its way out? I doubt and it is a mistake to try to kill Dial Up by not providing it with 8.1.
Microsoft should realize that people who value Dial Up will not move into 8.1 if Dial Up is not provided and stay like me with XP Pro. And if Microsoft does not realize that no doubt other will.

Verizon-AOL Deal Shows Staying Power of Dial-Up Internet

I doubt fiberoptic cables will make much difference, as I see no reason why Dial Up cannot work with fiberoptic cables.
Here our fiberoptic system is an ill-conceived project that replaces a self-powered communication system with a system that required to be connected to the owner electrical system. If the power fails there is no more communication possible unless the system at owner level is provided with power backup. Like Chernobyl or Fukujima demonstrated, a good backup require good maintenance not easly provided in such a large scale.
The system is also plagued with poor performance and unwanted by many mobile broadband users and people that only wishes to have a phone line.

Again what is (free) about that?

I bought an Ipad Mini Retina cellular last year. Got it online and without any warning it downloaded and downloaded. At the end of the download the cost of the down load was over $ 750, more than the unit was worth. Never got that rotten thing again online.
Definitely a clumsy machine unable to play wmv video. Hate to calculate what 6 gig will cost. Will never buy an Apple again.
I agree wholeheartedly about the involuntary data consumption which is forced on us, without regard to the fact that some of us pay for gigabytes. I am using Adblock which really helps a lot, by the way.

I must say, however, that I have not seen such prices for data since the '90's. Where are you paying such prices? I can roam anywhere in the world with my UK number -- the worst way to do it -- and get cheaper data than that.

In Europe and the U.S., I buy mobile data by the gigabyte, not by the megabyte. Cheapest is Sweden at about 1 euro per gigabyte (30 gigs for 290 SEK). In the UK, I pay 15 pounds for 6 gigabytes. In Finland, 20 gigabytes for 30 euros.

All of those prices are in the tenths of a cent per megabyte. And that's all with prepaid SIM cards -- it can be much cheaper still with a subscription.

And why would you ever use dial-up? I didn't know it was even available anymore. I don't think there's a nation on earth without mobile phone coverage and thus, mobile data.
Walt Whitman
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33   #44

Boat: 41' yawl

I wanna hear more about the knock-down in May! Is there a thread about it?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:58   #45

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

From my perspective, Win10 /Win8.1 are great advances. You get full online functionality from a much lighter set of hardware components. The advantage is most pronounced in areas of the world where decent broadband is readily available. Microsoft is is capitalizing on the general frustration users have come to have with mobile internet and mobile internet devices. The internet operates on a set of standard protocols that should offer full functionality at any web location. A user should not need a special app just to view content on a page.
I use Win7, Win10, IOS on ipad, and two flavors of Android. Right now, Win10 is by far the best, most useful operating system. All the functionality of a desktop OS available on a mobile device....they have leaped over the competition. Their biggest hurdle going forward will come from users who have invested considerable sums of money in less capable Apple products and will not want to admit that they paid too much and are getting too little. :-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote