Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 19:28   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
On Board PC -- Automatic Updates

I have a new computer, at last, to replace the one destroyed in my North Sea knock-down in May.

I have for many years used Sony ultrabooks. The last one, a Vaio Z2, cost something close to $3000. Now Sony no longer makes laptops, and I went with an Asus U305, which will cost me $579 after the rebate. That's progress I guess! It's not as slick as the Sony ones were, but so far seems quite good. It is fanless so quiet and very low power consumption. It's light and super thin -- thinner than the record (at the time) thin Sony was.

I am now installing programs and am concerned about controlling bandwidth. A lot of programs now update themselves automatically and can suck up hundreds of megabytes of data before you know it. This is obviously no good if you're a cruiser roaming and paying $0.20 a megabyte (say). Or even more.

I almost signed up for Office 365 but discovered that there is no way to control the automatic updating. Eek. It looks like Windows 8.1 is ok -- turn updating on and off. What about Office 2016?

Any other programs to watch?

We cruisers need complete control over our bandwidth!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:53   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 72
Re: On Board PC -- Automatic Updates

I'd suggest using software to control what can use bandwidth - Netlimiter for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:08   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

On Windows 10 you can set your internet connect to "metered". Windows will not automatically update on a "metered" connection. More info here: Metered Internet connections: Frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks to both of you for these hot tips.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:23   #5

I believe Windows 10 home has automatic updates forced on, and pro and education versions have the ability to turn this feature off.

I think there is a programme that you can install to turn off windows updates...

Much easier with a Mac. Very handy as the (free) Mac OS upgrade from 10.10 to 10.11 is 6 gig!

I have both Windows and Mac on my Mac. Far too many updates.

Also consider downloading the updates once, and moving that to each computer.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:50   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
On Windows 10 you can set your internet connect to "metered". Windows will not automatically update on a "metered" connection. More info here: Metered Internet connections: Frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help
I found this setting after some hunting -- and finding it wasn’t “as-documented” by Microsoft. If you're using a MiFi or cell phone as a hotspot you will need to set it manually, because Windows will not automatically know the Wi-Fi connection is metered on limited bandwidth:

1) First connect to the device
2) Go to network settings
3) Choose Wi-Fi and then select “advanced Options”
4) You will find the “Set As Metered Connection” setting there.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:52   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

You can use a local GPO on O365 to prevent it from updating..

Another tip.. If you have or can get access to a student ID, you can buy O365 for $79/4 years.. Yup your read that right.. Complete access for 2 pc for $79/4 years.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

Another tip.. If you have or can get access to a student ID, you can buy O365 for $79/4 years.. Yup your read that right.. Complete access for 2 pc for $79/4 years.
Please define GPO for those of us who are "acronym impaired".
Old 07-10-2015, 21:15   #9

Local Group Policy Object..

It probably easier to just use a registry edit.. You can find details here..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2753538

Unfortunately, I think you need to install O365 from the "Click to run" setup and not from the portal for this to work, but I'm not %100 sure.
Old 07-10-2015, 21:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

Or you can download Open Office for free.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:42   #11

I've been using Open Office for years. I see no reason to pay Microsoft a yearly fee.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:43   #12

Boat: Swedenyacht 42

As for an MS Office replacement, I would go for Libra Office, its free although they do suggest a donation, US$10 is the default. Not quite as slick as MS Office, but it will do all you want, you can open and use MS Office documents and save in MS format, so that your documents are readable by others. It contains word, calc, database and presentation programs. I used MS Office for 20 years before I retired, I have been using Libra Office for the last 6 years and I can't say there is anything missing.

If you have an old computer that is struggling to run the latest versions of Windows, don't dump it, try out Linux, the Mint or Ubuntu versions are probably easiest to install for a first timer , once again these are free and there are plenty of programs available free or at a low cost, to cover all that you would have done under a Windows or Mac OS. Another advantage is that they are not targeted by malware, yet!
Richard_jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09   #13

It's a huge mistake to think Linux (or Macs) aren't targets of malware or hackers. Search the web for "vulnerability report". Secunia publishes one annually qualifying number of vulnerabilities by OS and software type.
Old 08-10-2015, 16:08   #14

Boat: Tayana 37
Smile Re: On Board PC -- Automatic Updates

Disable the wifi.
A keyboard function will allow this.

It is not necessary to have a 2015 PC with a promiscuous operating system operational. A non networked computer is feasible underway.

I use two netbooks with Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu 12.04 dual booting, one unit being powered off to act as a spare if necessary. I may update to Windows 7, but find present version, XP, to be entirely satisfactory

Neither of these netbooks are allowed connect to any network while they are onboard. I bring them home in the off season and allow them network access for updates,.

I use an Android tablet and smartphone for email and weather while underway.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 17:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post
Disable the wifi.
A keyboard function will allow this.

It is not necessary to have a 2015 PC with a promiscuous operating system operational. A non networked computer is feasible underway.

I use two netbooks with Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu 12.04 dual booting, one unit being powered off to act as a spare if necessary. I may update to Windows 7, but find present version, XP, to be entirely satisfactory

Neither of these netbooks are allowed connect to any network while they are onboard. I bring them home in the off season and allow them network access for updates,.

I use an Android tablet and smartphone for email and weather while underway.
I would be carefull with connecting the XP pc up to the Internet. Microsoft stopped making mainstream updates for XP. There are already known exploits and the number will only grow as time goes on. No, a virus scanner will not protect you from these.

If you leave it completely disconnected, then you have nothing to worry about!