Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 17:06   #16

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Re: On Board PC -- Automatic Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
It's a huge mistake to think Linux (or Macs) aren't ....
that was not the question, the Operating System / Software you are most familiar with will be the easiest to turn "offline"

@Dockhead: it is impossible to list all programs to look out for without knowing what you are installing.
to check which programs on your computer are trying to access the internet
type “perfmon” in the Windows search box or open the “Reliability and Performance Monitor” utility from the Start Menu. than click the Network tab in the right pane to expand it.

shut down the stuff that you don't want.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 22:51   #17

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_jersey View Post
As for an MS Office replacement, I would go for Libra Office, its free although they do suggest a donation, US$10 is the default. Not quite as slick as MS Office, but it will do all you want, you can open and use MS Office documents and save in MS format, so that your documents are readable by others. It contains word, calc, database and presentation programs. I used MS Office for 20 years before I retired, I have been using Libra Office for the last 6 years and I can't say there is anything missing.

If you have an old computer that is struggling to run the latest versions of Windows, don't dump it, try out Linux, the Mint or Ubuntu versions are probably easiest to install for a first timer , once again these are free and there are plenty of programs available free or at a low cost, to cover all that you would have done under a Windows or Mac OS. Another advantage is that they are not targeted by malware, yet!
An other option as replacement: SoftMaker : Homepage
They have an office that is a lot more compatible that Libra and cost only about 69 Euros. Its worth its money.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:34   #18

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Many individual programs allow you to "uncheck" automatic updates.

For others, you can often go to task manager/services and disable the update services. Also, check task manager/startup and disable any update services listed there.

On some systems you can also to this by going to the command prompt and typing "msconfig" This gives you somewhat better access to the above.

Note Win 10 Pro only lets you postpone updates for a limited period, not ignore them completely.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 15:11   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've now been playing with Windows 8.1 and Office 365 for a few days.

I don't know about Windows 10, but in 8.1 you have complete control over automatic updates. You also have a really handy control to show that you're on a "metered connection" which stops different kinds of automatic updating. It will stop Windows updates, updates of applications which you got off Microsoft Store, and data feeds into the live tiles. It's also easier to see data use as you can configure the connection menu to show estimated data usage.

Office 365 (including fixed install of Office 2016) also gives you control over updating.

This looks pretty good -- better, not worse than the situation with Windows 7. Actually, I have to say (thread drift alert) that I am extremely impressed with Windows 8.1 so far. It is a total restructuring of the user interface, and the end of the old Apple style icons-scattered-on-a-desktop interface which we've had since Windows 1.0. It is more different from previous versions of Windows than Windows 7, say, was from the Mac user interface, although it does have some things in common with Android.

It's so different that it's not immediately easy to use, but I'm really liking it so far. I have quietly hated the Windows and, even more, the Mac user interfaces for decades by now, being a dyed in the world UNIX and DOS guy. The idea of opening windows which you shape as you like so that different apps will run at the same time is totally flawed. I've never seen anyone on either Windows or MAC using it that way, because it's too fiddly to set up the windows, and once set up, they quickly lose their relevance. So most people use everything full screen and maybe CTRL-Tab to switch between them. The idea of starting programs by rummaging around on your desktop, or rummaging around in Apple Chooser, is also poor. The Windows Start Menu (which we have since Windows 95) is a big improvement over that, but 8.1 goes much further, allowing you to set up tiles, and also arranging your applications in a different kind of desktop which is much easier to navigate.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 15:14   #20

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
I've been using Open Office for years. I see no reason to pay Microsoft a yearly fee.
Exactly! Uninstall Microsoft Office and install Open Office. Life will be good.
Old 10-10-2015, 16:32   #21

Boat: Valiant 42

If you like Windows 8.1 I think you will like 10.0 even better. It runs pretty well on relatively light weight hardware.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:18   #22

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
..... The idea of starting programs by rummaging around on your desktop, or rummaging around in Apple Chooser, is also poor.....
Interesting the different perspectives on what people like.

I'm not fond of the Start Menu and rarely use it (Windows 7). I prefer the tiny icons I put on the taskbar for the 10 most commonly used applications. They're visible all the time and one click from running. The occasionally used apps go on the desktop, arranged in logical groups. The Start Menu is for the rest that rarely gets used.

As for resizable windows, I use them all the time, and rarely full screen. I size each to suit the content and when re-opened later, the shape is remembered. At home I have 2 monitors so extend the desktop if I want to see things open simultaneously.

To get back to the original subject, I get really peeved with automatic updates, and those "helpful" utilities that run in the background. I'm on mobile broadband and recently drained all my credit when I accidentally switched data on for a Pay as You Go SIM @ $2.00 per megabyte while tethering my laptop.
Old 11-10-2015, 15:35   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you like Windows 8.1 I think you will like 10.0 even better. It runs pretty well on relatively light weight hardware.
I didn't mention this aspect of 8.1.

My new computer, and Asus UX305, is very light weight hardware. I took a big risk going with this. It has a Broadwell Mobile CPU whose normal clock rate is only 800mhz. I had read that it's only 20% slower than the 303 with the i5 CPU and held my breath. The benefit is very little power consumption and no fan. Leading to long battery life. And a tiny power supply.

Well, running 8.1 and Office 2016, this is the snappiest laptop I've ever used. Incomparably better than the previous $3000 Sony with the i7 CPU running Windows 7, which was never really snappy and would bog down terribly with a number of Chrome tabs open.

This is real progress. If Windows 10 is even better -- then I'm there.
Old 11-10-2015, 15:37   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
. . .

As for resizable windows, I use them all the time, and rarely full screen. I size each to suit the content and when re-opened later, the shape is remembered. At home I have 2 monitors so extend the desktop if I want to see things open simultaneously. . . .
You are the first person I ever knew who uses Windows (or Mac for that matter) in the manner which it was actually designed to be used. I'm very impressed.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:07   #25

you'd be impressed at the wide range even professionals go regarding this.
from "why can i not pin my 16bit app to the taskbar" to "wtf get that clutter off my screen"
Old 12-10-2015, 07:32   #26

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I didn't mention this aspect of 8.1.

My new computer, and Asus UX305, is very light weight hardware. I took a big risk going with this. It has a Broadwell Mobile CPU whose normal clock rate is only 800mhz. I had read that it's only 20% slower than the 303 with the i5 CPU and held my breath. The benefit is very little power consumption and no fan. Leading to long battery life. And a tiny power supply.

Well, running 8.1 and Office 2016, this is the snappiest laptop I've ever used. Incomparably better than the previous $3000 Sony with the i7 CPU running Windows 7, which was never really snappy and would bog down terribly with a number of Chrome tabs open.

This is real progress. If Windows 10 is even better -- then I'm there.
You can thank the super snappy SSD hard drive that is in that laptop. Go out and buy a $125 SSD for your Sony and it will blow your mind.

SSD drives are the cheapest easiest way to gain a huge performance increase.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:33   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
You can thank the super snappy SSD hard drive that is in that laptop. Go out and buy a $125 SSD for your Sony and it will blow your mind.

SSD drives are the cheapest easiest way to gain a huge performance increase.
All my laptops since probably 2006 have had SSDs. I was an early adopter of this technology. My first one was a Sony TZ (I think), which had a 40 gig SSD drive, and option which cost me $1500 (IIRC).

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 12-10-2015, 13:11   #28

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
All my laptops since probably 2006 have had SSDs. I was an early adopter of this technology. My first one was a Sony TZ (I think), which had a 40 gig SSD drive, and option which cost me $1500 (IIRC).

Then I would suggest you have something else significantly wrong with that Sony. An I7 with an SSD should be snappy as hell, even with Windows 7. Hell I'm typing this on a 4 year old I5 and it loads Word, Outlook, Excel, Chrome, ect in under 2 seconds. I don't find any appreciable speed difference between Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 on identicle hardware.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 13:37   #29

the (Sony) Vaio TZ only had 2GB RAM IIRC
windows and ms office eat RAM like there is no tomorrow.
still it was an elegant looking portable at that time.
Old 13-10-2015, 14:34   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Then I would suggest you have something else significantly wrong with that Sony. An I7 with an SSD should be snappy as hell, even with Windows 7. Hell I'm typing this on a 4 year old I5 and it loads Word, Outlook, Excel, Chrome, ect in under 2 seconds. I don't find any appreciable speed difference between Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 on identicle hardware.
I had three of them -- TZ, then TT, then Z2 with the i7 and 8 gigs of RAM. The Z2 obviously was better, but nothing remotely like the new Asus with Win 8.1, which does initial boot in like 10 seconds versus a minute or two for the Z2. Huge difference.

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman