Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 14:52   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 40
Old school Koden radar MD 3404 - issues

Hi all,

I have this wonderful 20+ year old Koden radar on my boat but I'm now unable to get it to start again.
The power cable going into the back of the monitor shows system voltage, but the monitor just doesnt respond, there is absolutely no sign of life on the monitor when pressing the power button (or any other for that matter). There is nothing that I can think of that would have happened to the monitor to kill it.
Couple of questions to anyone familiar with these old Koden radars
- Should the monitor come on if there is positive voltage going in
- The mast has been removed since last use, and the ridiculous mess of connections appears to be correctly connected (second photo). However, if the magnetron is not properly connected to the monitor could this be the cause for failure to start up
Any other recommendations or things that I might be missing (I'm far from a techie)

Thanks in advance,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6455.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	164104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6456.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	164105  

blucassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:49   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Old school Koden radar MD 3404 - issues

You should see some signs of life when you power it on no matter how it's connected. It may be hard to believe given the age of your radar but electronics do have a lifespan.

Take the display to an electronics technician. It doesn't have to be a marine electronics tech. Let them look it over, they can tell you if it's truly dead or if it can be repaired.

Or modernize. You could easily drop 40-100 pounds with a new radar while reducing your power requirements.
KeelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:27   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 40
Re: Old school Koden radar MD 3404 - issues

Thanks for the response! I've tried a few more things and decided to just kill the radar, I was considering replacing it as part of a wider navigation electronics update so just decided to go for that
blucassen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, school