Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 11:37   #1

Boat: Ericson E-32
Old navico autopilot question

I've got an old navico wheel pilot system installed (previous owner) and it works well holding a heading. Its on my E-32 sailboat. I assume it has an internal compass.

The head, which is mounted right of the helm, has a green standby/auto switch and a grey nav button with two green "tack" arrow buttons. It has a green lever on the left side of the helm that engages the servo to the wheel.

Anyhow, when I hit NAV it holds a heading and when I hit the tack arrows it adjusts a degree in either direction as it should. My question is, is there any way that I can couple it to a Chartplotter to nav on a preselected course?I currently just use heading mode and manually input course corrections.

I dunno how old it is but I'd assume OLD. I don't see any inputs except the black cable leading to it which I assume leads to a computer somewhere. I haven't tracked it down yet.

Anyone familiar with this unit that can verify whether it has a course following function or if it's just a heading tracking variant? I don't have a manual or the model number.

Dunno whether to upgrade to an SPX-5 or whether I can make do for a while longer without spending 1600 bucks. My Chartplotter/radar is current generation raymarine with seatalk..
JETTEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 12:37   #2

Boat: Liberty 49
Re: Old navico autopilot question

If it were me, I'd keep them separate so that you are forced to monitor your course and each course change.

Cheers,

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:06   #3

Boat: Ericson E-32
Not crossing any oceans or sleeping while navigating... Just like the "gadgetry" and the ability to fish off of other locations on the boat underway...
JETTEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:10   #4

Boat: Liberty 49
Re: Old navico autopilot question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETTEST View Post
Not crossing any oceans or sleeping while navigating... ...
Neither do I but I like the human "cut-out" in case any errors have mysteriously crept in......

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot