Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 20:42   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Old boat but new system ( AIS and MMSI ) help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrsailing View Post
I just ran into a USCG commo guy here where I work. He said the marine operators license is not needed unless your a commercial operator and that even though the FCC wants you to have a Ship Station License if you travel overseas, that with your AIS and everything else, it isn't like you are going to be harassed or hounded if you just have the BoatUS MMSI.
Off topic, wrong, and wrong.

A MARINE OPERATORS LICENSE is indeed a commercial one; the minimum is a Restricted Radio Operators License (required for all HF Radio comm's domestically and any HF and VHF with foreign stations). Also the boat must have a Station License for comms with foreign vessels and any non US comms. And the BoatUS (or USPS, SeaTow, etc) MMSI won't be in any database internationally so it won't work in any SAR situation. Keep a clean wake, get a proper license for both your boat and your operators, and have a great cruise....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:28   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
I have a a BoatUS mmsi issued to my handheld vhf radio. I have changed boats and kept the radio. I also want to acquire an AIS, do I need a new mmsi, or assign the present mmsi to the AIS?
drwayne
Valiant 32
You may and should continue with present mmsi. The mmsi is assigned to a vessel not to a piece of equipment.
You need a new mmsi number from the fcc if you sail out of USA waters and communicate with foreign shote stations. The BoatUSA assigned number id no good for that.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
Thank you for your response. How do I find out if the new boat has an mmsi assigned to it's fixed VHF, and if it does how do I get my handheld VHF to have the same mmsi? If I find no mmsi assigned to the fixed VHF, can I get it assigned the same mmsi as the handheld?
Once I get that squared away I can get the AIS.
drwayne
Valiant32
Eureka, CA.
If the fixed VHF on the vessel has an mmsi programmed, it will show on its screen when powered up

If you have an h/h - you need to ensure that it is a DSC/GMDSS type unit to be able to be programmed. Then the user manual will guide you through the steps. Be careful - usually you have 2 or 3 tries only before the unit locks (and needs to ne taken to manufacturers service station)
Old 20-09-2017, 21:46   #19

Quote:
Well ill just try calling then and have them walk me through it.
While the process is PITA, every step on the FCC site has an attached help section with explanation of tje required response.
First, you need to register and get an id. number called FRN.
While registering you are asked to provide a password for future access (you access the FCC site by the FRN & password).
When you fill the FCC questionnaire online and get stuck or confused - you may stop and keep your work, but you have to complete the application within 30 days.
Old 25-09-2017, 03:31   #20

Boat: Moody 37

- You should do a 1 day VHF course to learn how to use it properly and get your licence.
- MMSI numbers are regulated by your local authorising body, FCC in your case, but sets can have new numbers programmed-in by authorised dealers.
- Some countries will check your papers and some won't. I dread to think of the consequences of being caught un-licenced by some over-zealous coastguard
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 17:56   #21

So now I have my FRN ( it autofilled part of my actual contact info, so i emailed tech support to see if they could change the contact name ). I am now on the following pages:

I clicked on Apply for a New License on the left and I am now given a dropdown box with a bunch of codes. I do no see Ship Station License in the dropdown!!

Which is the actual code?
jwrsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 01:10   #22

Quote:
So now I have my FRN ( it autofilled part of my actual contact info, so i emailed tech support to see if they could change the contact name ). I am now on the following pages:

I clicked on Apply for a New License on the left and I am now given a dropdown box with a bunch of codes. I do no see Ship Station License in the dropdown!!

Which is the actual code?
Look again. The code is <SA or SB> (ship station).
Codes arranged alphabetically...
Old 07-10-2017, 18:28   #23

get a FCC ship station license.. I did for the same reason.
some new equipment and we plan to travel to foreign ports..
I'm working on getting out AIS units MMSI number changed to the new number.
yes it better if all the equipment uses/has the same number

does the ship station license cover SSB? I'm not sure..but I have a amateur radio
license too..

-dkenny
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 18:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Not really--that is only a rule in the USA due to the FCC regulations.

true..and pain..
but this doesn't mean the manufacturer is the only way to change the number.
I had to contact the manuf. for my AIS to get the instructions..sucks that i'm in the US..they could only give the instructions to a dealer...but the unit doesn't have to go back to the manfu.

-dkennt
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, boat