Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 08:05   #1

NUC -small form PC

Do any of you salts have any experience with the Intel NUC small form PC (5"x5"x2")? I just bought on to replace the Laptop whose keys are falling off... and it doesn't have an HDMI port. You have to load the operating system of your choice. I'll do win7 pro.

I have ordered a 12 -19V transformer for the power supply to by pass the usual 110v AC brick. The NUC is equipped with a 500gb solid state hard drive. It supports bluetooth and so I can use the wireless keyboard, comes with wifi and 3 USB 3.0 ports... supports 2 monitors. I have an external DVD drive...

I plan to use the Smart TV to display vids etc and perhaps get a small monitor for the nav station to use for work.

Seems like a good solution for the marine environment... no moving parts except the cheap portable DVD drive.

It's also more portable than a laptop.

Your thoughts... Please
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:21   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: NUC -small form PC

I don't know what kind of laptop you have but for many (I would assume all), the keyboard is replaceable. I think the replacement for my Dell was about $30 and it was not difficult to do.

As for your question, I have no idea. I like to keep things simple and a laptop is about as simple as it gets.
Old 26-12-2016, 09:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't know what kind of laptop you have but for many (I would assume all), the keyboard is replaceable. I think the replacement for my Dell was about $30 and it was not difficult to do.

As for your question, I have no idea. I like to keep things simple and a laptop is about as simple as it gets.
Well sure... but the laptop is now ancient technology... the NUC was a was less than $500 w/ a solid state drive and very fast processor.

Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYH

this is pretty simple...
Old 26-12-2016, 09:46   #4

Boat: wanting a cat

If your nuc is an intel, it should come with an hdmi port, otherwise you may need to install a graphics card...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 10:47   #5

I tried driving my laptop using a battery power supply. It was fine when the motor was running but the moment the batteries got lowish, it cut out. It just wasn't reliable, but it might not have been a well regulated supply. It worked well off the inverter.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:25   #6

It has both hdmi and display ports and the power transformer is epoxy sealed;

Specifications:
Input range: 9-18V
Output voltage:19V
Output current/power:10A (MAX)
Corrugated: 40MV
Power: 35MV
Efficiency: >93%
Weight: 900g
Size(LxWxH): 74×74×32(mm)
Cable length: 100mm

The NUC comes with a lift off VESA mount which I will use to keep it from bouncing around
Old 26-12-2016, 12:52   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I have build several nav appendages and I have tried out a couple of hardware combinations.

Now I never use nucs nor other mini form bases. Found a small PC (netbooks, while they existed) were best and least expensive bases to build upon.

Now hesitant about stick computers but they seem to be capable too. They are easier to work with than tablets.

Mind if the power brick fails or interrupts, there is no power backup with a nuc. You cannon homebuild an ad hoc power source for devices that use over 12Volts source. Another limitation is if you want a second screen, you want a monitor switch.

I like nucs as media and entertainment bases. But as a nav appendage solution they sort of lack.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 22:31   #8

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Sandero,

I bought a NUC this spring to use as our ship's computer after using my laptop for years. Also installed an industrial 12V 1080p touchscreen monitor in the nav station to use with it. Absolutely love this setup so far.

The specs indicate the input voltage can be 12-19V so I found a 5mm barrel plug with 8' of wire that fits the NUC and wired it and the monitor into their own circuit on the 12V power panel... no need for AC or an intermediate power supply. If the computer loses power, it means my house bank is down and I have bigger problems than losing the computer.

As you mention, the VESA mount works great to keep the NUC in place. I mounted mine inside the nav station table, easy access but out of the way. Best of all, I unplug three wires (USB to hub, HDMI to monitor and power) and I can slip it out of the mount and take it home for updates or other work like planning routes ahead of time. I have Coastal Explorer installed on it.

I also have a USB multi port interface attached and mounted in the face of the nav station. It has three USB jacks, audio in and out plugs, and an SD card reader so I don't have to get into the nav station to plug any of that stuff in. Very handy for updating my Navionics charts or downloading photos or videos.

Not sure why barnakiel feels they lack as a nav appendage. The setup with the NUC is way nicer to work with than my B&G Zeus2 (that I also like), especially for route planning using Coastal Explorer. And we can use it for email, web browsing and N2K troubleshooting and analysis using Maretron's N2K Analyzer software and a USB100 N2K/USB interface. We keep our ship's inventory and maintenance log on it, and work when we have to using Microsoft Office (an unfortunate but necessary evil for us). We also use it to post-process photos and videos. You can do all this with a laptop, but having a dedicated and semi-fixed solution with a dedicated monitor has proven to be really nice. Having a touch screen lets us stow the keyboard and mouse when underway and still use the computer easily... Windows 10 and Coastal Explorer work great in touch only mode.

Now that I think about it, after almost a year of use I have no complaints about the NUC at all... I think you will be very happy with it!
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 11:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post

Also installed an industrial 12V 1080p touchscreen monitor in the nav station to use with it. Absolutely love this setup so far.
Nice review, tks!

Which monitor did you select? Size?

Thanks,
Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 13:35   #10

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinBrasil View Post
Which monitor did you select? Size?
Merlin,

The monitor is from an industrial monitor company named TRU-Vu Monitors,*Inc. and is their ZBMT-21.5R model. It has the following specs:

21.5" Color LCD w/ LED Backlights
Projected Capacitive Touch Screen
1920x1080 (Full 1080p/60) Resolution
250 nit Brightness
5,000:1 Contrast Ratio
178 degree Viewing Angle
On-Screen Display Controls via Pushbuttons
VGA, HDMI and DisplayPort*Video Inputs
12VDC Power via 2.1mm Barrel Plug (includes a 100-240VAC Power Brick)
2.1A@12V Max Power Consumption

I have attached a pic of it in our nav station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160213_113604.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	138527  
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 13:39   #11

Excellent, tks.

Good looking setup

Best,
Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 15:37   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Merlin,

The monitor is from an industrial monitor company named TRU-Vu Monitors,*Inc. and is their ZBMT-21.5R model. It has the following specs:

250 nit Brightness
178 degree Viewing Angle

Elegant setup; I'm jealous.
Old 27-12-2016, 16:49   #13

Quote:
Merlin,

250 nit Brightness
178 degree Viewing Angle

WOW! Just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27-12-2016, 17:09   #14

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

As a form factor, the NUC isn't new, it's more or less a copy of the Apple Mini which has been around for years.

I do think a NUC would be a good boat computer, put it at the nav station and use remote desktop on a tablet anywhere on the boat. Set it up with Maxsea/OpenCPN/<your nav app du jour> and have a nice setup. I would want to have a good backup facility on-board (and maybe a spare NUC).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:41   #15

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

I have been looking at a small footprint pic called
Ockel Sirius B: the powerful Windows 10 pocket PC
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote