Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
Upgraded to v10.5 from 10.0.002.
Noticed the boat's icon continually pointed 'up' (north) despite direction of travel.
Nobeltec responded acknowledging this defect and promised a v10.7 fix in a 'couple of months'. Nice to know they're working on it.

Ronbo
We actually just released our 10.7 service pack last Friday (5/28) and this issue was specifically fixed:

"24. Fixes an issue where the vessel may be stuck in North Up mode."

Feel free to subscribe to our newsletter where announcements of new releases will be publicized first.

Regards
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
Do you, or other Nobeltec users, know what raster charts can now be accessed from VNS 10.7? It would be really great if we could find a set of instructions for putting them to use again. The CMap vector charts are great, but they still have some places where data is missing, and the raster backups are still needed.
In fact Nobeltec never really removed the ability to view Raster charts, our former management decided to just make it more difficult by requiring users to call and get a free Raster Plus Pack . In the latest release, 10.7, we've completely removed this restriction and the Raster Plus Pack is now installed by default with the full install of the application or via service pack. That being said, not all Raster charts will work with Nobeltec, but we currently support Maptech/BSB versions 2-5.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47   #18

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Does 10.7 also support the NOS/GEO charts formerly from SoftCharts? There are lots of these still around, since they were once available cheaply in bundles or one at a time for those who didn't want a whole Maptech $$ Region.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:52   #19

re: sded

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
1) Restore the USG vector chart capability. In fact, build a capability like CE has to automatically maintain the current editions of both the raster and vector charts.
2) Reinstitute the Nobeltec Users forum
3) Make sure that Windows version compatibility is maintained
4) Fix the many bugs instead of building more gee-whiz crap. Don't any of them actually navigate a boat with it?
1) Since our rendering of S57 data was based on our Passport rendering engine, and Passport data has been eliminated in the v10 line of products, it's unlikely that it will be added back in as it would be a huge amount of effort to put it back at this point. That being said, don't rule it out for future releases. Without talking about future product offerings, something I'll never do here or in any open forum, we hear you, and many like you, about the importance of S57 rendering.

2) High on the list of priorities. We're actively looking at ways to create a better "self-serve" support experience including use of a Customer Forum, Customer submitted support case logging/self tracking, actual searchable knowledge base, and some other cool stuff. Being the Manager of this group, I hold this one close to heart and am actively working on it.

3) Windows version compatibility is a tricky one. Anyone that says they are OS compatible before or on the day of a release of a particular OS doesn't have to deal with things like 3rd party drivers or any external dependencies. We do. Having to wait (while at the same time applying necessary pressure) for 3rd party vendors to update their software so that we can "officially" release ours is just one of the caveats of utilizing these pieces that make our apps what they are.

4) In fact our most recent release, 10.7, was nothing but a long list of bug fixes. No real new "features" were implemented to speak of. This was a long time coming and hopefully alleviates a large majority of the calls/emails that come into our Tech Support team. Is NNS perfect at this point? Nope, but we'll continue to improve the quality of the products we produce, at least as long as I am the Manager of the group in charge of Quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
And I couldn't do it easily now anyway because their credit card processing is also broken according to their website.:
Another symptom of transferring ownership. Back-end systems being swapped around, web sites moving, new financial systems, etc, etc. A not so interesting side of the business that necessitated the web site being temporarily crippled while our web team gets things in place. Don't worry, this is only temporary and our Sales staff is more than able to take orders via phone or email.

Regards
Old 02-06-2010, 12:38   #20

Another chart question, to try to clarify what 10.7 will actualy support. The attachment from VNS 9.2.2218 shows an aerial photograph of my area, and a dropdown menu that allows me to select from:
1) NOAA RNC, old BSB, NOS/GEO raster charts
2) NOAA ENC, Passport vector charts
3) Aerial photos, topo charts, other odds & ends not installed (Maptech folio)
You have said item 2 is no longer available, but exactly which of the others are besides the RNC/BSB2-5/RNC? And what outside the US (where I use the NOS/GEO)? Other charts from former management?
Thanks,
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vnscharts.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	16666  
Old 02-06-2010, 13:26   #21

re: supported chart formats

First of all, I'd like to apologize to the OP for thread-jacking that has happened. I hope the original question was answered. If anyone would like to continue this "what chart formats does Nobeltec support" conversation going, please start a new thread and I'd be glad to continue commenting. This will be my last post in this thread about chart support.

Second, I'm about to post something from our website to help clarify a question. I hope this isn't seen as commercialization or soliciting. If it is, feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to edit the post in some way. I won't provide a link as per the Forum Rules that I agreed to.

Quote:
Does 10.7 also support the NOS/GEO charts formerly from SoftCharts?
Yes, as has every version of Nobeltec Software to date.

Quote:
You have said item 2 is no longer available, but exactly which of the others are besides the RNC/BSB2-5/RNC? And what outside the US (where I use the NOS/GEO)? Other charts from former management?
From our website:
  • Maptech/BSB data format support (version 2-5) - Use many of the same raster charts you've come to know and rely on in previous versions of Admiral and VNS. Use the 3D overlay feature on these raster charts. Open raster charts and photos in the NavView
  • NOSGeo data format support - Use NOSGeo charts in both PlanView and NavView.
  • Maptech perspective photos and extra nav data formats. - Enjoy Maptech photos in both the Planview and NavView (Admiral MAX Pro only).

Charts from Jeppesen include CMap Max Pro charts with World coverage. Hope that answers your questions. If not, I look forward to addressing them in another thread.

Regards
Old 02-06-2010, 13:32   #22

Thanks for the info. With a company and website in transition it is often hard to capture reality.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26   #23

Boat: gozzard 44
Joel,

Thanks for your response (and activecaptain's, too).
Support is a big issue as these systems get more complicated. I'm upgrading to v10.7 and hope to restore my raster charts, as well. Continue the good work.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 18:19   #24
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Joel,

I have Admiral Max Pro (10.0.001). Months ago when I e-mailed support complaining about loosing raster support after the upgrade and asking for the raster pack, they never replied. So, since it's an older version, is there any way I can still get it?

FYI: I'll second the vote to add S57 support.

To an earlier poster: My version runs just great on Windows 7.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 18:42   #25

Dan,

If you want, the upgrade to 10.7 is a free one for you with 10.0. With that you will get the Raster Plus Pack unlocked once and for all. You'll never need to enter a code for that again with 10.7 installed and beyond. If you would like to stay at 10.0, send an email to support at nobeltec dot com and be sure to include your program S/N. I'll answer it and send you the unlock code back tonight. I apologize for the unfortunate handling of something so simple for you months ago.

Regards,
Joel

Tags
nobeltec