Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 09:24   #1

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
No WHAM anymore?

So I have a Uniden VHF and for several years now, maybe 5, I've had a WHAM wireless mic that has worked perfectly. Since my VHF is in the pilothouse, it has been really nice to have the wireless unit at the helm. But my WHAM has finally given up the ghost, and now I can't seem to find them for sale.

It looks as though Uniden has stopped making the WHAM mic for their units, and no one else offers one. How could it be possible that 5 years later there has been a reduction in technological sophistication?

I think I'm just missing something, but anyone know of who is offering a wireless mic for the fixed VHF these days?
Old 22-06-2015, 18:59   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: No WHAM anymore?

On eBay, search on Whamx4 Maybe try Amazon too.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:31   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My new B&G VHF has a nice wireless remote mic. I think I like it better than the Uniden WHAM, which I also have and use frequently. The WHAM seems to have more of a delay, and the range is not quite as good. The B&G wireless sports more options; a virtually complete duplicate of the front of the radio itself, with all menus, plus intercom.

That said, I agree that the life cycle of marine electronics is absurd. Just two years ago I bought an expensive Garmin multi-function display, and installed the latest firmware upgrade. There hasn't been an upgrade since. That model is in the "legacy" section of their site, along with that whole model line and the line that followed it the next year. They're not actively updating or producing bug fixes for either line.

Sorry, I just don't believe that there's been no bugs found or good ideas for improvements since then. And if the developers are stretched that thin, what does that say about the quality of the code they're churning out for today's units (which will themselves be obsolete and unsupported tomorrow)?

The prices and features keep going up, but the quality of the software goes down. I have two devices that issue AIS alarms because they're not smart enough to recognize that the MMSI number from my AIS transmitter matches their internal "own ship" MMSI number, so they think I'm about to collide with myself. Both Manufacturers (one is the Garmin, above) have confirmed it's a known problem, but have no plans to fix it. Presumably they're all too busy coding for next year's model.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:51   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
On eBay, search on Whamx4 Maybe try Amazon too.
Today I checked eBay and there are lots of batteries but no wireless microphones. There are often microphones on there, so check back regularly.

Amazon is right out of it. Don't bother.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote