Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 02:10   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
NMEA Weather Display

I am starting to plan some electronics upgrades. One thing I would really like is a decent display of weather information at the nav table.

I already have some kind of home-type weather display, inherited from the PO. It shows temperature, moon phase (useful for spring or neap at a glance), time, inside/outside temperature, and it has a good barograph.

That's pretty good already, but I need wind more than any of these functions. I can get wind speed and direction relative to the boat's bow on the chart plotter. When at anchor or on a dock, I can calculate the geographic wind direction after looking at heading.

But this is pretty kludgy. Plus, there's no trends -- no historic data. It would really be nice to have a display showing at a glance wind speed and geographic wind direction, with historical data (24 hours trend), like my barograph.

I am probably going to install a Maretron or Airmar ultrasonic wind instrument. This will give barometric pressure, too, over the NMEA network. I have tortured Mr. Google to death and can't find a dedicated NMEA weather display - can it be that no such thing exists?

I know I can display this data on a PC or tablet -- but who needs it? I need a small dedicated screen which will always have this data.

Any clues?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:56   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: NMEA Weather Display

NASA weatherman will display pressure and wind from NMEA sources. It also displays logs. Unfortunately, it does not seem to allow heading input so that you could read true (geographic) wind directions.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01   #3

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: NMEA Weather Display

Maretron DSM250 has a comprehensive weather display and ability to plot trends in weather elements (see the attached screen shot). It is rather pricey compared to the "home" weather station displays. For less money the NMEA2000 display from garmin can also show weather elements and trends. Other manufacturers probably will as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maretron Weather.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	33327  

Tags
nmea, weather