Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 15:08   #16

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: NMEA SEATALK SAME CABLE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
Despite reading everything I can find, I am still not exactly sure of the relationship between NMEA 2000 and Seatalk. Very soon I have to re-wire my mast whilst I have the chance. I have not fully decided what instruments I will be fitting, so I don't know exactly what wire to run up the mast..... are NMEA and SEATALK cables the dame thing?? If not.... can you convert one to the other more easily..... I mean if you put a Raymarine masthead Wind inst and then fitted some other NMEA 2000 sytem could you use the Raymarine wind info, or conversely if you mounted NMEA 2000 Masthead, could you convert that info to SEATALK if you decided to go RAYMARINE..... or shoudl I just put BOTH cables in the mast???

You really can't go wrong by pre wiring your mast with an NMEA 2000 drop cable. If you decide to use RayMarine instruments, there are adaptors. And a RayMarine cable would be MUCH more expensive. (And yes, a Nk2 cable and a SeaTalk spur cable are identical on the inside)

That being said, I would ***NOT*** prewire my mast because often the wind transducers come with the wire you need!!!! So just buy the transducer and be done with it.

GARMIN gWind Masthead Wind Transducer | West Marine

See here for more info:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...jly5gLIE/edit#
chris5977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, seatalk