Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 20:00   #1

NMEA port dosn't opened

Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased C-Map 93 to run on my laptop and I also have problems with the com ports. When I boot the system and then connect the GPS both the map and GPS ports are connected in their config programmes but when I go into the C-Map ECS to view the map it states the (NMEA port dosnt opened)

any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Louis
the saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 21:18   #2

If it's a Garmin GPS, then by default it outputs Garmin protocol, not NMEA. If this is the case you can change it to NMEA via the menu system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:35   #3

Thanks for the tip but the GPS is a BU-353 with NMEA 0183 data protocol.
The strange thing about the GPS is that when I turn it off in the config panel and then enter the C-Map it seems to run as it should with the GPS picking up a signal indicated by flashing LED light on it and the boat icon on the map where it should be and all of the other long/lat ect rolling over as if active. So dose the map programme run the GPS even after I have disabled it? and is this normal?

Regards

Louis
Old 02-03-2009, 09:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Only one program at a time can access a com port. If your config program is using the com port then the Cmap program won't be able to open the com port.

Bob Stewart
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 15:44   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by the saint View Post
Thanks for the tip but the GPS is a BU-353 with NMEA 0183 data protocol.
The strange thing about the GPS is that when I turn it off in the config panel and then enter the C-Map it seems to run as it should with the GPS picking up a signal indicated by flashing LED light on it and the boat icon on the map where it should be and all of the other long/lat ect rolling over as if active. So dose the map programme run the GPS even after I have disabled it? and is this normal?

Regards

Louis
From what I can see the BU-353 is a USB GPS capable of outputting NMEA. I'm guessing it came with some driver software that allowed it to install a COM port on your PC. Check in Device Manager double clicking on "Ports (COM & LPT)". In the listing should be an entry corresponding to your GPS, with a COM port number.

Once installed correctly you don't need any other software to make the GPS work. Just plug it in & then configure C-MAP to connect with the COM port you found to receive GPS NMEA.

If you have trouble configuring the correct port within the C-MAP application, I believe there is a configuration file in the installation called CMAPECS which can be configured manually with a text editor.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 15:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Only one program at a time can access a com port. If your config program is using the com port then the Cmap program won't be able to open the com port.

Bob Stewart

Thanks Bob so my system is running normally that's good news
Old 02-03-2009, 16:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
From what I can see the BU-353 is a USB GPS capable of outputting NMEA. I'm guessing it came with some driver software that allowed it to install a COM port on your PC. Check in Device Manager double clicking on "Ports (COM & LPT)". In the listing should be an entry corresponding to your GPS, with a COM port number.

Once installed correctly you don't need any other software to make the GPS work. Just plug it in & then configure C-MAP to connect with the COM port you found to receive GPS NMEA.

If you have trouble configuring the correct port within the C-MAP application, I believe there is a configuration file in the installation called CMAPECS which can be configured manually with a text editor.

Regards
Thanks Richard it sounds like my system is running normally I have another question for you to ponder

I don't want to be a pain but the system I am using states its default set up is in WGS 1984 but I am struggling to find where to put these coordinates, the only coordinates it allows me to input is missing the last digit. Example WGS 84 S- 35 40 426 E- 138 35 810 this is the location of a reef I fish, but when I put these coordinates in, the system drops the last digit off each axis Eg: S- 35 40 42 E- 138 35 81.
There is an area where I can input these coordinates correctly but when I click off the nominated axis the last three digits reverts back to 99.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Louis
Old 02-03-2009, 19:37   #8

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by the saint View Post
Example WGS 84 S- 35 40 426 E- 138 35 810 this is the location of a reef I fish, but when I put these coordinates in, the system drops the last digit off each axis Eg: S- 35 40 42 E- 138 35 81
Sounds like it wants a format of "DDD MM SS" (Degrees Minutes Seconds), and you are entering "DDD MM MMM" (Degrees Minutes decimalMinutes). If it won't accept decimal minutes with no seconds (I.e. try to enter "DDD MM.MMM" and leave seconds blank), then you will have to convert decimal portion of the minutes to seconds, so just multiply decimal minutes by 60.

So, as an example: "35 40.426" becomes "35 40 25" (i.e. .426*60=25.56 drop the .56) and "138 35.810" becomes "138 35 48" (again drop anything after the decimal point).

Hope that helps!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38   #9

Thumbs up Thanks Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Sounds like it wants a format of "DDD MM SS" (Degrees Minutes Seconds), and you are entering "DDD MM MMM" (Degrees Minutes decimalMinutes). If it won't accept decimal minutes with no seconds (I.e. try to enter "DDD MM.MMM" and leave seconds blank), then you will have to convert decimal portion of the minutes to seconds, so just multiply decimal minutes by 60.

So, as an example: "35 40.426" becomes "35 40 25" (i.e. .426*60=25.56 drop the .56) and "138 35.810" becomes "138 35 48" (again drop anything after the decimal point).

Hope that helps!

Thank You for the help I will test it as soon as I can.

This is such a fantastic website I have had some great help I don't know if I can help anyone but I will be looking for the opportunity's.

Regards

Louis

Tags
nmea