Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 08:40   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Perhaps the real reason is as has been stated - either bridging networks with separate MFD's connected by ethernet or bridging N2K data onto a second N2K network using a single MFD - and this result is just a by-product of that?

Does any of this not conform to standards? I ask because Furuno makes a deal about being fully compliant and working with the standards.

How much effort is actually required to do this? On the surface, it seems pretty simple to me.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:45   #47
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Perhaps the real reason is as has been stated - either bridging networks with separate MFD's connected by ethernet or bridging N2K data onto a second N2K network using a single MFD - and this result is just a by-product of that?

Does any of this not conform to standards? I ask because Furuno makes a deal about being fully compliant and working with the standards.

How much effort is actually required to do this? On the surface, it seems pretty simple to me.

Mark


Yes agreed. But rebroadcasting back onto the same originating network is strange. You have to go to quite a bit of effort to ensure uniqueness etc.

As for furunos compliance they were one of the first to break the compliance with the FI 50 line ( they didn't obey the drop cable requirement ) ? As a result they called in NMEA 2k compliant rather then certified !!


Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:50   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
We've obviously discovered an additional feature, that being a failover controller for multiple N2K sensors on a single N2K network.
To be precise, we have not proven that ability yet. I don't have the hardware to do the experiment. Maybe I can find someone in the yard here to lend me a N2K GPS or compass.

Alternately, if we can rouse Jedi from wherever he is hiding, he may have the gear to do this experiment.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:52   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,423
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As for furunos compliance they were one of the first to break the compliance with the FI 50 line ( they didn't obey the drop cable requirement ) ?
A feature RM copied into their i70s....

Of the big 4, Garmin is the closest to being compliant, and I only say this from my lack of familiarity of their product line.
__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:57   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,423
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
To be precise, we have not proven that ability yet. I don't have the hardware to do the experiment. Maybe I can find someone in the yard here to lend me a N2K GPS or compass.

Alternately, if we can rouse Jedi from wherever he is hiding, he may have the gear to do this experiment.

Mark
I do have enough equipment, but not enough time.

Examining the feature, Furuno is obviously utilizing the internally known data, i.e. what's it's using for it's own computations (sans the source identifier, etc.). It's then repackaging that data for output to an interface. I say this due to your observation of Furuno being a data source choice.

I will test when time permits.
__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 09:04   #51
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
A feature RM copied into their i70s....



Of the big 4, Garmin is the closest to being compliant, and I only say this from my lack of familiarity of their product line.

Yes indeed wasn't criticising furuno in that regard. The NMEA 2k specs suck , star multidrop could easily be supported at 200kbps

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nmea

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help connecting our NMEA data sources offgridcanuck Marine Electronics 1 29-01-2014 12:17
Question About Alternative Data Sources in N2K Dockhead Marine Electronics 1 27-08-2013 06:58
Favorite sources for historic data? thompsonisland Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources 3 03-11-2012 07:07
Interfacing NMEA Data to Computer bobfnbw Marine Electronics 81 07-03-2012 09:46
Data Converter NMEA to Ethernet ticki Marine Electronics 2 21-03-2010 14:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.