Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-03-2014, 08:40   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: NMEA Failover Data Sources

Perhaps the real reason is as has been stated - either bridging networks with separate MFD's connected by ethernet or bridging N2K data onto a second N2K network using a single MFD - and this result is just a by-product of that?

Does any of this not conform to standards? I ask because Furuno makes a deal about being fully compliant and working with the standards.

How much effort is actually required to do this? On the surface, it seems pretty simple to me.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:45   #47
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Perhaps the real reason is as has been stated - either bridging networks with separate MFD's connected by ethernet or bridging N2K data onto a second N2K network using a single MFD - and this result is just a by-product of that?

Does any of this not conform to standards? I ask because Furuno makes a deal about being fully compliant and working with the standards.

How much effort is actually required to do this? On the surface, it seems pretty simple to me.

Mark

Yes agreed. But rebroadcasting back onto the same originating network is strange. You have to go to quite a bit of effort to ensure uniqueness etc.

As for furunos compliance they were one of the first to break the compliance with the FI 50 line ( they didn't obey the drop cable requirement ) ? As a result they called in NMEA 2k compliant rather then certified !!

Dave

Old 28-03-2014, 08:50   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
We've obviously discovered an additional feature, that being a failover controller for multiple N2K sensors on a single N2K network.
To be precise, we have not proven that ability yet. I don't have the hardware to do the experiment. Maybe I can find someone in the yard here to lend me a N2K GPS or compass.

Alternately, if we can rouse Jedi from wherever he is hiding, he may have the gear to do this experiment.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:52   #49

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As for furunos compliance they were one of the first to break the compliance with the FI 50 line ( they didn't obey the drop cable requirement ) ?
A feature RM copied into their i70s....

Of the big 4, Garmin is the closest to being compliant, and I only say this from my lack of familiarity of their product line.
Old 28-03-2014, 08:57   #50

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
To be precise, we have not proven that ability yet. I don't have the hardware to do the experiment. Maybe I can find someone in the yard here to lend me a N2K GPS or compass.

Alternately, if we can rouse Jedi from wherever he is hiding, he may have the gear to do this experiment.

Mark
I do have enough equipment, but not enough time.

Examining the feature, Furuno is obviously utilizing the internally known data, i.e. what's it's using for it's own computations (sans the source identifier, etc.). It's then repackaging that data for output to an interface. I say this due to your observation of Furuno being a data source choice.

I will test when time permits.
Old 28-03-2014, 09:04   #51
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
A feature RM copied into their i70s....

Of the big 4, Garmin is the closest to being compliant, and I only say this from my lack of familiarity of their product line.

Yes indeed wasn't criticising furuno in that regard. The NMEA 2k specs suck , star multidrop could easily be supported at 200kbps

Dave

Tags
nmea

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: