Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2016, 13:54   #16

Re: NMEA 2000 Network Components

I upgraded my Chartplotter to a Vulcan 7 in nthe spring after reading good review in the Practical Boat Owner. Part of tghe review stated something like 'we used N2K so all the instruments could talk to each other'.

I knew going in that the Nexus wind and log instruments (NMEA 0183) required a Garmin interface so they could talk to the Vulcan (N2k).

The Vesper Marine AIS connected no problem.

Most annoyingly I was informed that the Raymarine autopilot (0183) would 'talk' to the Vulcan if I used an Actisense adaptor.

After connecting everything up the Vulcan gave an error message that 'No Autopilot computer detected'.

Numerous emails to B&G eventually elicited the info that each manufacturer's uses their own programmes and autopilots from other manufacturers are not compatible and will not work.

If anybody knows any different please let me know.

I now use the autopilot on its own which defeats the purpose.....

Old 25-07-2016, 01:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Friend View Post
I upgraded my Chartplotter to a Vulcan 7 in nthe spring after reading good review in the Practical Boat Owner. Part of tghe review stated something like 'we used N2K so all the instruments could talk to each other'.

I knew going in that the Nexus wind and log instruments (NMEA 0183) required a Garmin interface so they could talk to the Vulcan (N2k).

The Vesper Marine AIS connected no problem.

Most annoyingly I was informed that the Raymarine autopilot (0183) would 'talk' to the Vulcan if I used an Actisense adaptor.

After connecting everything up the Vulcan gave an error message that 'No Autopilot computer detected'.

Numerous emails to B&G eventually elicited the info that each manufacturer's uses their own programmes and autopilots from other manufacturers are not compatible and will not work.

If anybody knows any different please let me know.

I now use the autopilot on its own which defeats the purpose.....
the BNG will send waypoints to the pilot and steer to nav course. the BNG will never see the pilot. you'd need a new BNG / simrad pilot for that. make waypoint on plotter. activate nav mode on raymarine screen.

does the vulcan not have a 183 port? the zues does. the wind and pilot would connect straight via 183.

Old 25-07-2016, 02:01   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

The Vulcan is nmea 2000 only. You can use an AT10 to get nmea0183

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 09:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
I built my NMEA 2000 network with Maretron hardware. There are, however, a few Navico drop cables in the system. They came with the various Triton displays. Where I didn't have a supplied drop cable, I made my own using Maretron field installed Micro C components. My backbone, Power T, connectors, cabling, and Micro Ts are all Maretron, as is my WSO100 wind/etc. sensor.
I like the ability to make the cable runs a specific length. I have also cut the various transducer cables to length and use Maretron field installed connectors to help make a tidy installation.
No complaints, at all, about any of the Maretron stuff. Customer support is first rate, too. And their N2K builder program (free!) is absolutely first rate and easy to use. It allows you to design a properly balanced network. After a short learning curve, you will be amazed at the ease with which you can design, and optimize, a complete boat network with (or without) as many bells and whistles as you want. It's awesome.
...What Bill said...

I used Maretron "MID" size cable with BLUE Sheathing for the backbone and "MICRO" size cable with GREY Sheathing for the drops - just to help things sorted on the boat.

Also, there is a very good post over on Ben Ellison's PANBO site with tips on installing the Field Attachable Connectors (read the blog post readers' comments at the bottom):

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Adventures in NMEA 2000 Wiring, Part II

V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, nmea 2000

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: