Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 21:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35'
NMEA 0183 Connection on X-5 SmartPilot

Just finished replacing my Autohelm ST 4000+ with an X-5 SmartPilot. All works well except the NMEA 0183 connection from the Standard Horizon CP 300 chart plotter. The NMEA connection on the 4000+ was on the control head and there is a NMEA connection on the X-5 control head- that's where I connected the chart plotter. Not much info in the X-5 manual, but I did find one schematic that shows the GPS connected to the course computer NMEA. Has anyone made a successful chart plotter NMEA connection to an X-5 and does it go to the course computer or control head? Also, can the NMEA output on the X-5 course computer be used as a Seatalk bridge for the depth and wind instruments that are connected to the control head?? Thanks in advance for the help.
sailrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 04:59   #2

Re: NMEA 0183 Connection on X-5 SmartPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrj View Post
Just finished replacing my Autohelm ST 4000+ with an X-5 SmartPilot. All works well except the NMEA 0183 connection from the Standard Horizon CP 300 chart plotter. The NMEA connection on the 4000+ was on the control head and there is a NMEA connection on the X-5 control head- that's where I connected the chart plotter. Not much info in the X-5 manual, but I did find one schematic that shows the GPS connected to the course computer NMEA. Has anyone made a successful chart plotter NMEA connection to an X-5 and does it go to the course computer or control head? Also, can the NMEA output on the X-5 course computer be used as a Seatalk bridge for the depth and wind instruments that are connected to the control head?? Thanks in advance for the help.
Nmea 0183 to course computer works but it is slow, up to 25 seconds to cancel a waypoint and it can be some looping if not properly set up. Nmea 2000 or Seatalk ng is better. The course computer does not work as a complete bridge. A Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter will bridge Depth, speed, wind etc- MOB- Heading- GPS- Navigation data (waypoint information)- Rudder angle. At around $120 the converter kit is good value because it contain 3 cables, 2 plugs and 2 terminators.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea