Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 19:42   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 344
NKE gyropilot.

Anyone experience in NKE system?
Any input is appreciated, which components are required for complete autopilot system?, also price of that system without actuator.
Thanks in advance.
__________________

cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,979
Re: NKE gyropilot.

I can't say I am current on all their toys, but I have used them. By far my favorite autopilot, without a close second.

As for what you need, they have far more sensors available than most people really need but a basic package retail runs about $7,000 for everything including the hydrolic ram. If you price it retail the individual components excluding the ram are actually more an the package with. But if you shopped it around you can probably get a better price than full retail on each component.

Each Package Includes:
1 x Gyropilot 2 computer w/gyrometer
1 x Gyropilot Graphic MFD
1 x Fluxgate compass sensor
1 x Rudder angle sensor
1 x Reversible hydraulic drive unit
1 x Bus connection box
1 x Bus power supply filter
15m Bus cable
12v/12v DC Converter

To which you really need at least some GPS data, speed data, and wind data.

NKE Autopilot Packages
__________________

__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 14:07   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sitka
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 536
Re: NKE gyropilot.

I'm shopping for an NKE system as well. I have a quote of $5500 for an autopilot without drive unit (I'm going to use my existing WH drive and Hynautic helm).

GP2 computer
RA sensor
bus power filter
12/12 dc power converter
wifi interface
HR compass w/ interface
Multigraphic

I'm probably going add an MHU and an interface to use my existing depth transducer and an NKE speed sensor, ais, and high-speed gps, so the bill will be going up.

Cheers,


Cheers,
__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 14:32   #4
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: NKE gyropilot.

You may get a bit more feedback on this over on Sailing Anarchy Forums, as NKE stuff tends to be more common on racing'ish boats. And I personally know several folks over their with full NKE suites.
You also would do well to dabble in such circles like the single & double-handed TransPac, Class 6.50, Class 40, etc.
__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 21:48   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 344
Re: NKE gyropilot.

Thank you very much guys!!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 16:46   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 344
Re: NKE gyropilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
I'm shopping for an NKE system as well. I have a quote of $5500 for an autopilot without drive unit (I'm going to use my existing WH drive and Hynautic helm).

GP2 computer
RA sensor
bus power filter
12/12 dc power converter
wifi interface
HR compass w/ interface
Multigraphic

I'm probably going add an MHU and an interface to use my existing depth transducer and an NKE speed sensor, ais, and high-speed gps, so the bill will be going up.

Cheers,


Cheers,


So, can I use non NKE depth transducer? How about speed sensor? I assume compas mode requires speed sensor.
Does it has to be NKE?
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 16:59   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,979
Re: NKE gyropilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
So, can I use non NKE depth transducer? How about speed sensor? I assume compas mode requires speed sensor.
Does it has to be NKE?
NKE is all premised on a NMEA bus so no you don't have to use all NKE instruments so long as what you have outputs to NMEA standards (most newer instruments do). But exactly what the hookup looks like depends. A depth sounder or speed gauge is easy, but a MFD that also need additional data input may need a translator between the NMEA backbone and the client.

Specific systems will just depend on the hardware at play.

For a better answer I would just contact NKE, describe the system you have (or want to build), and get their input on it.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 18:41   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sitka
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 536
Re: NKE gyropilot.

NKE uses Airmar depth transducers. The speed and depth transducers go to an interface box connected to the NKE Topline Bus.

I went to the NKE web site and downloaded the manuals for the various bits I'm considering. These will give you a pretty good idea of how things should be set up. The importer, Euro Marine Trading, is also very helpful.

Cheers,
__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 19:54   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 344
Re: NKE gyropilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
NKE is all premised on a NMEA bus so no you don't have to use all NKE instruments so long as what you have outputs to NMEA standards (most newer instruments do). But exactly what the hookup looks like depends. A depth sounder or speed gauge is easy, but a MFD that also need additional data input may need a translator between the NMEA backbone and the client.



Specific systems will just depend on the hardware at play.



For a better answer I would just contact NKE, describe the system you have (or want to build), and get their input on it.


Thanks, I will do.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 21:05   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 344
Re: NKE gyropilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
NKE uses Airmar depth transducers. The speed and depth transducers go to an interface box connected to the NKE Topline Bus.

I went to the NKE web site and downloaded the manuals for the various bits I'm considering. These will give you a pretty good idea of how things should be set up. The importer, Euro Marine Trading, is also very helpful.

Cheers,


Thank you!!
I will download manuals and do some research.
__________________

cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MaxSea TZ waypoints to NKE Mutigraphic ipsum Marine Electronics 0 16-02-2015 09:48
NKE Auto in GPS Mode Agility Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 02-06-2011 08:12
New Tacktick Speed / Depth = Old NKE Transducers Pointbreak Marine Electronics 4 20-07-2010 12:59
NKE Electronic's Stevens 47 Marine Electronics 4 05-12-2006 23:14



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.