Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 13:42   #1

Nexus Silva Multicenter & NX2 Server

I'm running into a problem with my Nexus Silva instruments that are connected through a NX2 Server. My wind and depth instruments went blank with "------" that across both screens. I've started them back up and sometimes they will work for 30 secs then go blank again. Other times it works for 5 minutes then goes blank. Occasionally get an Error 3 which means "No data received within a given time". I've checked all the connections at the NX2 server.

Anyone have experience with this? Much appreciated.
Yogojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 04:49   #2

Boat: Sparkman & Stephens 34
Re: Nexus Silva Multicenter & NX2 Server

Coincidentally I am having very similar problem with my Nexus NX2 (mine is branded Furuno although Furuno inform me it is manufactured by Nexus). I am also getting error 03 (although I get error 02 displayed first) and system lock up. Also seems to be an intermittent fault like yours. I have checked and remade all connections, run the re initialise sequence which helped temporarily, enabling the system to run for 30 mins. Then error 02 followed a few seconds later by error 03 and lockup. I have removed NMEA connections to other equipment but am not finding any solutions. Sorry I can't help, I'm installing a fish finder as a backup depth sounder until I can sort this out. Has anyone had these issues and solved them? The system occasionally runs for hours then locks up, any ideas?
Hope some electronics genius can help us, this gear is too expensive to just throw away. Tech support at Furuno couldn't help as it's a Nexus unit, and the Nexus tech guy is unavailable til mid July (a tad inconvenient as I'm cruising in coral areas at the moment, which is great, but a bit worrying without depth info).
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks, Ian
iWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 05:07   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

On my old NX/2 server the little pin connectors were fussy. I know you've checked your server connections, but I'd go through them again pulling on the pins to make sure they are connected well to the wires, etc. The NX/2 was also really picky about NMEA183 signal levels, but sounds like you removed those from the picture. All in all it was reliable piece of gear.
Good luck.
Old 23-06-2014, 16:57   #4

Ian -

On my NX2 server the depth finder LED indicator light does not function while all others do. I disconnected the depth connector to see if the wind indicator would work (neither wind not depth function). That didn't work either. I called Garmin as they bought Nexus. The technician said it was a faulty NX2 server. They sold one to me at 1/2 price which tells me that they have had problems with them. Mine was out of warranty by a couple of years. It arrives tomorrow so I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-06-2014, 05:39   #5

Hi Yogojr
I'll be v interested to know if the replacement server solves the problem. I have once again cleaned all the pins and reinitialised the server (4 times) and it is now intermittently working and locking up. I wasn't aware Garmin had bought nexus. Where is the agent you called? I may be following in your footsteps if your system comes good with the new server.
Thanks, Ian
Old 24-06-2014, 18:42   #6

Boat: Westsail, 32, CAN DO

Garmin Nexus Tech Support contact information:
US telephone: 855-607-2539
Email: NexusSupport.US@garmin.com
Good luck!
Phillip
W32 - CAN DO
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 09:16   #7

Thanks I'll follow up that email. Today I got it to run all day by re initialising again, thought maybe I had gotten lucky, and then of course the beeep that is starting to really grate returned. Let me know how you go with the replacement server. I'm heading back out amongst the Islands tomorrow, looking forward to getting back to sailing instead of chasing electrical gremlins. Good luck with your system, it's really handy when it's working but a frustrating distraction when it's beeping at you.
Cheers , Ian
Old 25-06-2014, 15:42   #8

Ian - installed new NX2 server today. Ran all day without any issues. Will post update at end of weekend. Do far so good.

Tom

Old 26-06-2014, 01:13   #9

That's good to hear, if it keeps running all weekend I'll follow your lead and stop rewiring my existing unit again,
Thanks, Ian
Old 29-06-2014, 19:20   #10

Ian - no issues all weekend. The new NX2 solved my problem. Good luck.

Tom

Old 04-08-2016, 15:51   #11

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

On the same subject I have an issue with my new speed / log tranducer.
I replaced the Nexus log/ temp transducer with a Garmin-branded unit. The two previously installed transducers failed the same way. The cable failed due to flexing where it enters the potting inside the pickup. Now the Nexus Multi Control at my nav station displays speed and temp just fine but the two Multi XL displays on the mast and the NEMA 0183 displays, which have worked fine with old transducers for several years, read 0 kts. Strangely, they started reading during one sail after 10 mins or so. 3 days later, in the same scenario, they never read anything but 0 or ---. The log monitor light flashes normally on the NX2 Server.
Any ideas?
BTW, I built a strain relief on the pickup cable with shrink sleeving and RTV cement to avoid a repeat failure.
Thanks,
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote