Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15   #1

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
New Simrad Question

I am about to pull the trigger on a new radar. I have selected the Simrad nss16 evo3 w/Halo 4 radar. I think that I can connect that to my iPad and have some wifi or blue tooth control from there when away from the MFD. I have studied this for a while but was hoping someone here can give me a definitive answer. Has anyone really been able to have some remote control of this via iPad?
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:01   #2

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: New Simrad Question

I've never personally used the NSS16 but I have used the Link App on an NSS9 and a Zeus3 12". It's a VNC so you literally get a duplicate of the actual display on the tablet. But that's all you get is a duplicate of the display.

Most of the complaints I have seen or heard are due to people expecting more than the app could possibly provide. The app is an extension of your MFD not a second MFD. You should not expect it to work as a second MFD.

It only works in landscape orientation because your MFD only works in landscape orientation. So don't expect it to rotate on your phone.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:10   #3

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a new radar. I have selected the Simrad nss16 evo3 w/Halo 4 radar. I think that I can connect that to my iPad and have some wifi or blue tooth control from there when away from the MFD. I have studied this for a while but was hoping someone here can give me a definitive answer. Has anyone really been able to have some remote control of this via iPad?
FWIW, not sure of you are aware of this or not, but Simrad keeps no spare parts for any product they sell once they come out with a new one. Doesn't matter if you owned the product for only two years, as happened to me, Simrad will have taken all parts inventory to the dump, and you are out of luck if you need to service that unit, unless you can find a dealer who has the part on his shelf. Delfin was all Simrad, and I would never go that route again.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
FWIW, not sure of you are aware of this or not, but Simrad keeps no spare parts for any product they sell once they come out with a new one. Doesn't matter if you owned the product for only two years, as happened to me, Simrad will have taken all parts inventory to the dump, and you are out of luck if you need to service that unit, unless you can find a dealer who has the part on his shelf. Delfin was all Simrad, and I would never go that route again.
And people say Garmin is bad.

I have a Simrad NSS and 3G radar that came with the boat. If I was buying myself it would not be Simrad gear. Probably Furuno
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:41   #5

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
And people say Garmin is bad.

I have a Simrad NSS and 3G radar that came with the boat. If I was buying myself it would not be Simrad gear. Probably Furuno
My first issue was a 30 month old radar/plotter that stopped booting. Hit the power switch and nothing. I called the firm that did the install and was told they couldn't get parts for that unit, since there was now a new model available. Called a few more shops, and got the same answer. Starting looking for a Koden replacement that would work with the Simrad array and spoke with a Koden tech who left Simrad's employ a year or two before. He told me that he certainly understood the problem because when he worked there he remembered clearing the shelves of all CRX parts and putting them in the dumpster. "All of them", I asked? "Yep. All of them". Fortunately I found a work around by doing a hard reset each time I power up - depress both PWR and CLR while throwing the breaker. Nice.

Same issue with the Simrad hand held for the AP. Called the dealer who said, nope, no part for that one either. But he offered to buy mine for salvage since that is the only way he can get service parts. I was able to fix that unit by disassembling it and finding the bad trace on the board, by sheer luck.

Similar powering up issue now with the Simrad depth sounder. Power up, and the screen goes wonky and never starts displaying whatever signal it is getting back from the transponder. Same work - around; PWR + CLR + hit the breaker, then re-enter all custom units through Settings so it works. PITA.

IMO, what Simrad does to its customers is unethical and I wouldn't own one of their products if you gave it to me.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I've got a brand new Simrad radar that doesn't work fresh out of the box. It was installed after the warranty ended, so they wouldn't cover it and tech support has no idea what the issue is.

Strangest problem I've have seen on a radar....It turns on and shows objects up to a 1/2 miles radius, but goes dark if I try going past that.

I'm no longer buying Navico products and going back to Raymarine.

Matt
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

It is standard practice for manufacturers to throw away tons of inventory right before tax time. I was appalled when I first learned about this. But tax wise it makes sense.

It's unfortunate but for the last ten years or so manufacturer have moved away from repairable marine electronics. Sure, you can fix one if you are determined but they intend for this stuff to be throw away. I don't agree with it but that is the way it is.

They keep the parts to completely rebuild an item until the warranty runs out on 90% of the item sold. If you were the guy that got the sweet deal on one of the last Zeus Touch than you are also the guy that is guaranteed to never get your stuff repaired.

If the market demanded repairable electronics they would provide them. But we have grown into a throw away society and the people driving the market like to have the latest and greatest. I have personally replaced perfectly good equipment on large yachts just so they could have the latest feature.
Old 15-11-2018, 05:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
It is standard practice for manufacturers to throw away tons of inventory right before tax time. I was appalled when I first learned about this. But tax wise it makes sense.

It's unfortunate but for the last ten years or so manufacturer have moved away from repairable marine electronics. Sure, you can fix one if you are determined but they intend for this stuff to be throw away. I don't agree with it but that is the way it is.

They keep the parts to completely rebuild an item until the warranty runs out on 90% of the item sold. If you were the guy that got the sweet deal on one of the last Zeus Touch than you are also the guy that is guaranteed to never get your stuff repaired.

If the market demanded repairable electronics they would provide them. But we have grown into a throw away society and the people driving the market like to have the latest and greatest. I have personally replaced perfectly good equipment on large yachts just so they could have the latest feature.

A big part of the market DOES demand repairable product, and that's why we buy Furuno.

Tanglewood was initially outfitted with an all-Simrad suite - for about 4 months. Then it was all removed and returned for failure to function as advertised, and because there was no corrective action plan offered by Simrad. I'm amazed anyone still buys the stuff.

Tags
simrad