Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 22:15   #1
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Have read many mini PC threads on here yet found nothing conclusive yet so am hoping for some current advice from users.

I'll start by saying I am not interested in a Mac and I don't think I am interested in raspberry pi.
I want something that replicates or preferably betters what I have at minimal outlay.

Currently, I run a compaq presario cq41 laptop running Linux mint plugged into a 23 inch ips monitor running opencpn and the new mini PC needs to do the same.
Apparently it runs an AMD sempron m120 2ghz single core processor but for what I use it for it seems adequate. I have given it an SSD and ram upgrade.
I want to retire the laptop for something smaller so as to free up bench space.

Of the myriad of mini PCs available on eBay, what's something that I should be looking at?
I was thinking something like this seems to be at least on par with what I have now in the laptop, but I am no expert.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beelink-...edirect=mobile
__________________

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:46   #2
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 4,977
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Have read many mini PC threads on here yet found nothing conclusive yet so am hoping for some current advice from users.

I'll start by saying I am not interested in a Mac and I don't think I am interested in raspberry pi.
I want something that replicates or preferably betters what I have at minimal outlay.

Currently, I run a compaq presario cq41 laptop running Linux mint plugged into a 23 inch ips monitor running opencpn and the new mini PC needs to do the same.
Apparently it runs an AMD sempron m120 2ghz single core processor but for what I use it for it seems adequate. I have given it an SSD and ram upgrade.
I want to retire the laptop for something smaller so as to free up bench space.

Of the myriad of mini PCs available on eBay, what's something that I should be looking at?
I was thinking something like this seems to be at least on par with what I have now in the laptop, but I am no expert.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beelink-...edirect=mobile


Thatís what I have, running Windows 10. A very nicely made device but disk IO is slow, which is pretty typical of eMMC devices.

Very good bang for the buck I reckon.
__________________

__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:32   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,531
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
and I don't think I am interested in raspberry pi.
Any particular reason?
I msssed about with low power pc boards with not great success for a few years but the frist thing to reqlly work out of the box was openplotter on a pi2. On a Pi3 now and it just works straight away - just set up some data sources and off you go , does so much out of the box and plenty fast enough.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52   #4
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Any particular reason?
I msssed about with low power pc boards with not great success for a few years but the frist thing to reqlly work out of the box was openplotter on a pi2. On a Pi3 now and it just works straight away - just set up some data sources and off you go , does so much out of the box and plenty fast enough.

Wanting to keep everything same same
I am well used to Linux mint now, don't want to learn another system.
That and I would be wanting the new device to do a bit more than just opencpn.
Download movies, email, interwebs , light photo editing etc
I think and could be mistaken that the pi could be a bit overwhelmed.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:56   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,531
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Wanting to keep everything same same
I am well used to Linux mint now, don't want to learn another system.
That and I would be wanting the new device to do a bit more than just opencpn.
Download movies, email, interwebs , light photo editing etc
I think and could be mistaken that the pi could be a bit overwhelmed.
That makes sense, pi is great as a standalone media viewer but doing that and all the boat stuff at the same time would be asking a bit much.
(it is linux .)
Well worth loading signalk as well, does great things with all that boat data
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:56   #6
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thatís what I have, running Windows 10. A very nicely made device but disk IO is slow, which is pretty typical of eMMC devices.

Very good bang for the buck I reckon.
Yeah after doing a bit more research I am thinking an actual SSD device might be a better match for me.
Catch is, they seem to get back up into laptop pricing again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 13:55   #7
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

This could be the one.
Beelink BT3-X for $199 on eBay

According to their website it has a built in enclosure for up to 2tb SSD.
I have a 250gb Samsung evo laying around that may have just found a home.

http://www.bee-link.com/portal.php?m...d=131&mobile=2

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 14:49   #8
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,351
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Get an i3 Intel NUC. Bullet proof, plenty of power to do everyday tasks, will run either Windows or Linux, uses a "proper" hard disk (m2 or 2.5" - model dependent), fan cooled but quiet and will power directly off the 12 volt house supply. Bit pricey new and have to be purchased as components, but used ones can be picked up cheap and they'll still run for years.


For a multipurpose PC, I wouldn't bother with any lesser processing power. May as well get a tablet instead.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:07   #9
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Get an i3 Intel NUC. Bullet proof, plenty of power to do everyday tasks, will run either Windows or Linux, uses a "proper" hard disk (m2 or 2.5" - model dependent), fan cooled but quiet and will power directly off the 12 volt house supply. Bit pricey new and have to be purchased as components, but used ones can be picked up cheap and they'll still run for years.

.

Almost 3x the price
I'll stick with a laptop at that price thanks

]
Quote:
For a multipurpose PC, I wouldn't bother with any lesser processing power. May as well get a tablet instead
Tablet won't plug into my 23 inch monitor, keyboard and won't let me use Linux mint
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:29   #10
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,351
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Almost 3x the price
I'll stick with a laptop at that price thanks

]
Tablet won't plug into my 23 inch monitor, keyboard and won't let me use Linux mint

You're obviously an IT expert, but just in case you aren't aware, let me break the bad news to you. A new $300 laptop won't be worth it's weight in toilet paper.



But your choice.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:21   #11
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You're obviously an IT expert, but just in case you aren't aware, let me break the bad news to you. A new $300 laptop won't be worth it's weight in toilet paper.



But your choice.
You obviously didn't read the original post, I already have a laptop.

And, a few seconds search gets the following in a $299 laptop

HP Elitebook 8570p i5-3320m 2.67Ghz 8GB Ram 320GB HDD 15.6" Laptop Win 10 USB 3
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Elite...edirect=mobile

A few seconds more, an i5 dell for $170
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-E63...edirect=mobile
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:42   #12
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,351
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You obviously didn't read the original post, I already have a laptop.

And, a few seconds search gets the following in a $299 laptop

HP Elitebook 8570p i5-3320m 2.67Ghz 8GB Ram 320GB HDD 15.6" Laptop Win 10 USB 3
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Elite...edirect=mobile

Well you obviously didn't read my post about buying used. I purchased my 2 units second hand, both with 128GB SSD and 8 (maybe even 16) Gb RAM used for $300 total. One unit had never been deployed. One's loaded with Windows 7, the other with Mint (which I prefer). As my drowned ToughBook will attest, laptops aren't immune from leaping off tables and shelves to their doom in rough seas. A mini PC bolted to a bulkhead won't be anywhere near as prone to doing this.



For pure OpenCPN use, an RPi or Atom based fanless PC is fine. For more general purpose applications, you need something with more grunt. For reasons known only to myself, I have everything from the RPi to an i7 laptop, to an assortment of tablets on board but the NUC is my goto for general purpose use. Sure they're expensive if purchased new, but so is a laptop like a Toughbook or Dell XPS. They're expensive for a reason.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:02   #13
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well you obviously didn't read my post about buying used. I purchased my 2 units second hand, both with 128GB SSD and 8 (maybe even 16) Gb RAM used for $300 total. .
Good for you but there is nothing even remotely close to that price on Gumtree or eBay and my chances of finding something for that price, from a reputable source and getting it delivered are about as likely as me catching a unicorn.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:05   #14
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,351
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Good for you but there is nothing even remotely close to that price on Gumtree or eBay and my chances of finding something for that price, from a reputable source and getting it delivered are about as likely as me catching a unicorn.

There's 13 used on ebay right now. How many you need?
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:59   #15
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 1,741
Re: NEW Opencpn mini pc using Linux mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
There's 13 used on ebay right now. How many you need?
Is there?
Not using nuc or i3 nuc in the search there isn't.


https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...h%2520Gen%252E
__________________

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
opencpn, linux, enc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opencpn Sound problem Linux Mint 13 Quincofish OpenCPN 9 29-06-2017 06:37
Who is (succesfully) using OpenCPN on a Linux mini pc ? reinM OpenCPN 19 13-10-2014 16:02
opencpn linux mint 13 and GPS USB SKYTRAQ GM 65 Skytraq - chipset Venus 6 USB - NMEA archimede OpenCPN 2 18-02-2013 03:04
OpenCPN GPS/AIS fix for Linux Mint 13 or Ubuntu 12.04 stephenippolito OpenCPN 3 20-10-2012 19:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.