Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2017, 23:15   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
New InReach Explorer+

Just read some negative reviews on Amazon about the new InReach taking a long time to get initial GPS fix. My previous model of Explorer gets initial fixes very fast even after long moves (just flew from Panama to Belize and got new fix in seconds in Belize).

Anyone with the new InReach (SE+ or Explorer+) having initial fix performance, or other, issues?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 03:46   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: New InReach Explorer+

Just bought one last month to use on a trip last week. No issues and worked great.

dwedeking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 03:57   #3

Boat: 1985 Beneteau First 305

I have used the inreach se all over the place and haven't had any problems getting a fix. I know when the explorer came out they had some software glitches. But I think they have been fixed. Also hearing lots of good reviews now that Garmin bought the inreach program. I absolutely loved mine and would still be using it if someone didn't steal it out of my bad on a return flight from Africa!!!! Soooo, I'm going to buy another one as soon as I can convince my wife to let me pony up another 400 or so.
907Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 03:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Juice View Post
I have used the inreach se all over the place and haven't had any problems getting a fix. I know when the explorer came out they had some software glitches. But I think they have been fixed. Also hearing lots of good reviews now that Garmin bought the inreach program. I absolutely loved mine and would still be using it if someone didn't steal it out of my bad on a return flight from Africa!!!! Soooo, I'm going to buy another one as soon as I can convince my wife to let me pony up another 400 or so.
Just for reference I've had mine for about 5 (?) years or so.
Old 02-06-2017, 20:48   #5

(Dup)
Old 02-06-2017, 20:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Juice View Post
Just for reference I've had mine for about 5 (?) years or so.
Then its not the new one...just recently released by Garmin after acquiring Delorme.
Old 02-06-2017, 21:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Then its not the new one...just recently released by Garmin after acquiring Delorme.
Obviously, feel free to read the entire post.
Old 02-06-2017, 22:14   #8

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

I only see one negative review based on not acquiring the GPS signal.
The other negative reviews are complaining about subscription.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 14:36   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

belize-
Without seeing the specific Amazon post...bear in mind it is just the internet. Was the reviewer perhaps unaware that with ANY GPS, even a brand new high end fourth generation GPS, it can take 17 minutes to get an accurate fix, simply because that's how often the system sends out full information updates? And that it can take several minutes for the real FIRST fix, simply because the unit was made and initialized thousands of miles away, and it will be looking for the wrong satellites when it powers up? Panama to Belize, that's "local" compared to perhaps Shenzhen to Newark. Or Anchorage, where the satellites are much lower on the horizon and the weather can interfere as well.

Lots of room for misunderstanding with GPSes. And even the occasional DOA unit.

Garmin's manuals used to mention the time to first fix, etc. and caution the buyer about these things.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
I only see one negative review based on not acquiring the GPS signal.
The other negative reviews are complaining about subscription.
Went back and looked again. A couple of reviews for the new Explorer+ and SE+ mention GPS issues, but I also noticed that despite being separate product listings, they are the same reviews.

A number of folks bitch about a subscription being required to use the GPS function, both on Amazon and other sites. Why buy an InReach in that case. Not an issue for my use.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
belize-
Without seeing the specific Amazon post...bear in mind it is just the internet. Was the reviewer perhaps unaware that with ANY GPS, even a brand new high end fourth generation GPS, it can take 17 minutes to get an accurate fix, simply because that's how often the system sends out full information updates? And that it can take several minutes for the real FIRST fix, simply because the unit was made and initialized thousands of miles away, and it will be looking for the wrong satellites when it powers up? Panama to Belize, that's "local" compared to perhaps Shenzhen to Newark. Or Anchorage, where the satellites are much lower on the horizon and the weather can interfere as well.

Lots of room for misunderstanding with GPSes. And even the occasional DOA unit.

Garmin's manuals used to mention the time to first fix, etc. and caution the buyer about these things.
Could be just lack of understanding, but Ive never seen it mentioned on the previous generation of units.

I usually read the 1 star reviews to get the negative issues, but often find a fair number of them are just too stoopid to own the item. Could be the case here.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:57   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

belize-
Fully agree with your, ah, frank appraisal of many of the reviews. I often wonder, am I the only Amazon Prime Member? Because if something isn't right, it is SO damned easy to send it back for a replacement or refund. I know, the membership costs money, but several years ago I ordered a Seagate hard drive with 'express replacement' coverage from Seagate, and it not only arrived DOA, but it wasn't until the FOURTH drive, a full month later (express?) arrived that I got a working one. This from a company that used to be a prime supplier, globally.
Garmin...I've called over the years. I have mixed feelings about their support. Long time ago I had called to ask which algorithms they were using to calculate something (because there are options, each giving different results, pros and cons) and the response was something like "We're gonna call SWAT because you might want to steal trade secrets" rather than a more reasonable one, like, gee, not many customers ask us that.
Worse with DeLorme. Back when GPS was all new and DeLorme actually made their own maps, they seeded them with intentional errors. Roads that went over cliffs, roads that didn't exist...it could get dangerous. They felt that was the best way to make sure no one was stealing their work, the copies would contain those same unique errors. (sigh.)

But still, when an Amazon customer says "It don't work" and doesn't even say IF they asked for a new unit, or IF they contacted support....you have to wonder how they figured out how to place an order in the first place.

Bearing in mind, the NYS AG's office checked out online reviews 5(?) years ago and found an astounding number of them are simply lies. Often from overseas boiler-rooms where folks get paid to go online and post malicious reviews.

"Mommy, my lunch box won't open itself!" No, really? (sigh)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:10   #13

Yes, Amazon is awewome. I had an instance a few years ago where a vendor would not honor their warranty...Amazon stepped up and honored it for me (I assume they took that up with vendor later).

But of course, even they cant totally prevent bogus (or just plain stupid) reviews.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sometimes they are awesome, sometimes they are "Persons in Need of Adult Supervision". As when a dozen reviews posted over two years ALL say that a product was bogus and the vendor a thief, and Amazon has no interest in looking into the problem. (256GB flash drive for $9.95, right, sure.)

Like any 800# gorilla in the room, sometimes you wonder. But last month my local supermarket had coffee on sale (again) and there was no regular decaf to be found (again) and after the really nice "coffee aisle person" checked in back and apologized that there was none in stock (yet, again, and still) I couldn't help think that sometimes, ordering online from a huge anonymous warehouse system has advantages. Although Amazon can be funny about that too. Sometimes they use "the new math" and "two day shipping" can be 5-7 days, business days or not. Or "expected shipping date, six weeks from today".

Still, when you look at so many of the online reviews (anywhere) it would be so simple for a web site to run a search on them and say "Gee, THIS reviewer has posted xx reviews in xx days, and they're all negative and inconclusive..." and either flag or purge them. (Preferably flag, since purging gets into other problems.)

Sometimes it is hard to remind folks, "You expect to do WHAT from the middle of the ocean? And you expect to pay WHAT for that?" You know, like the dog who says "What, I should have said DiMaggio?"