Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2006, 01:49   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
new Icom M710

Apperently the new M710 from icom is also a ham radio. I was offered a 1100 price for a new one with a AT-130 tuner included. I am wondering if thats a good deal. Also, does anyone know if this model can be interfaced with pactor? If the description says "e-mail ready" what does that mean?
Thanks,

Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 02:38   #2

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Petar, the answer obviously depends on the condition of the radio. Does "new" truly mean unused? Never on a boat? And how do you know?

The 710 is one of the radios for which both Sailmail (www.sailmail.com) and Winlink (www.winlink.org)'s client software specifically offers set-up instructions. It is one of 'the' radios the software author, Jim Corenman, had in mind when writing that software, known as Airmail. www.airmail2000.com ('Client' software is what runs on your laptop; it's similar in function to 'Outlook' on your computer at home). The 710 will require the addition of a Pactor TNC (essentially, a modem) but then, with the right cables to link the radio to the TNC & TNC to the laptop, it will work Pactor exchanges perfectly. It is not considered a great ham radio; it's difficult to move the xmit & receive freqs easily, which is a common need on Ham radios...but once the freqs are set, it will serve this function as well as when used on the Marine Bands.

Assuming the radio is unused, my reaction is that $1100 for radio + tuner is a good price. Were I you, I'd do two things re: the purchase: Upfront, I'd ask for the serial # and check with an Icom dealer to determine the radio's age and whether any service bulletins exist for it; second, assuming I bought it, I'd take it to an Icom repair facility (AES is an excellent business and they might be able to handle a marine transceiver, altho' they specialize in ham gear) and have the radio bench-tested and adjusted. This not only assures you the radio is performing as well as it can when subsequently installed, but also helps you when troubleshooting a problem during the installation, since you will know if isn't the radio that's causing the problem.

To learn more about installing the radio, counterpoise and antenna, you'll find a large number of threads on such topics at the SSCA Discussion Board, written by some very knowledgeable folks. http://ssca.org/sscabb/index.php (Unfortunately, I notice it's down today (Saturday) but I'm told they are working the problem).

Jack
Old 19-01-2006, 14:15   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12
the price was the Boaterworld's special for the local boat show in Providence, RI.
I didn't really think twice about it. I already have and insulated back stay and this spring one of the pre-departure projects will be to set up the radio.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom