Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 09:12   #1

New GPS issues - does the boat needs to move to in order to get the first fix?

Hi All,
I removed an old 0183 Garmin GPS and connected a new Simrad GS25 GPS to my existing NMEA 2000 network (I have Garmin 5212 chart plotter and two Gramin GMI 10 instruments). Although I can see the new GPS in the device list and on the sky view I can see at least 10 satellites with green bars (in all 3 devices), It doesn't show the location / I don't get a fix.
I called Garmin support, and the guy told me the that I didn't get a fix since I haven't moved yet, and only after ill move the boat it will start updating and ill get the first fix.(he was very confidence). Does it make sense?, since I am on the hard it will take me a while until I could test this theory...
I would appreciate your insights,
Thanks
Sgel
sgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:22   #2

Re: New GPS issues - does the boat needs to move to in order to get the first fix?

No. It will fix at dock. That’s rediculus.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:29   #3

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: New GPS issues - does the boat needs to move to in order to get the first fix?

Garmin are idiots. Like smac999 said, you do not need to be moving to get a fix. It sounds like a configuration problem with you equipment. Even though you "see" everything, maybe the sentence being sent by the GPS is not the right one for the chart plotter to interpret. Check you configuration especially the communications link between the two devices.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:35   #4

Boat: Olympic Sea 42

I tested my plotter with built in GPS in my friends garage 3000 miles from my boat and 50 miles from the sea.

Having to move the unit to get a fix makes no sense whatsoever.
ScubaTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:38   #5

Thanks Guys! That what I thought... I also called Simrad and they said that since the plotter shows the satellites, their GPS unit should be ok, and perhaps it indeed some sentence issue. I tried going over the configuration but couldn't find anything useful, ill keep looking. (btw I choose the Simrad gs25 and not the Garmin one since it have built in compass, and the plotter does show the direction correctly)
Old 30-12-2019, 09:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaTyke View Post
I tested my plotter with built in GPS in my friends garage 3000 miles from my boat and 50 miles from the sea.

Having to move the unit to get a fix makes no sense whatsoever.
Totally agree!
Old 30-12-2019, 10:21   #7

Can the Simrad gps be faulty? perhaps its sends only the "Satellite in view" PGN but not the "Position data"?
Old 30-12-2019, 10:41   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

So you don't believe the tech you talked to on the phone but do believe a few folks on an internet form with limited to no technical experience?

And now you are thinking the unit might be faulty?

You might want to move the boat before going too much further. Just sayin.....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:42   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

Take a look in the 5212 at the "preferred sources" (and maybe the "speed sources") configuration items. There may be a setting there that is telling the Garmin gear to use the old 0183 data. IIRC (but from memory, so may need to consult a manual):
Configure->Communications and
Configure->Preferences->Navigation

It's a long shot, but the only thing I can think of that would have the Garmin ignore the new data.

[Edit] I agree that there should be no reason you need to move to get a GPS fix, but if it's not too much trouble with the cabling, you can always "move the boat" by moving the antenna.[/Edit]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So you don't believe the tech you talked to on the phone but do believe a few folks on an internet form with limited to no technical experience?

I am just trying to cover all the variables, and sometimes someone with similar setup that encounter the same issue, can point to the right direction. I used many gps unit (in different instruments) and this is the first one that act like this.

and btw regarding "believing the tech", being a tech guy myself I know we are not always right
Old 30-12-2019, 11:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Take a look in the 5212 at the "preferred sources" (and maybe the "speed sources") configuration items. There may be a setting there that is telling the Garmin gear to use the old 0183 data. IIRC (but from memory, so may need to consult a manual):
Configure->Communications and
Configure->Preferences->Navigation

It's a long shot, but the only thing I can think of that would have the Garmin ignore the new data.

[Edit] I agree that there should be no reason you need to move to get a GPS fix, but if it's not too much trouble with the cabling, you can always "move the boat" by moving the antenna.[/Edit]
Thanks!, I looked on other menus but haven't thought of checking the speed setup, ill try that
Old 30-12-2019, 22:43   #12

Boat: Olympic Sea 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Interesting assumption with your "limited to no technical experience" there don't you think
ScubaTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 23:28   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaTyke View Post
Interesting assumption with your "limited to no technical experience" there don't you think

He's also assuming that the Garmin Helldesk support person is a "tech".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 08:18   #14

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
... and is clued up on the detailed workings of a Simrad GS25 GPS
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 08:53   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good question. He may have had someone reading a go no go chart off a screen. Cheaper to pay than a tech and can be outsourced to who knows where.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, gps