Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2013, 06:46   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: New generation Raymarine A/P's

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
An autopilot is never going to steer as efficiently as a human helmsmen who can for example see puffs on the water before they hit.(...)
Oh yes, it is.

AP never gets tired or distracted. A keen helmsman will only be efficient such and such number of minutes every hour.

And there is no need to adjust the course before the puff is around the boat and your AW changes. Unless you are overcanvassed and steer for survival.

b.

Old 16-08-2013, 06:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

(...)

RM has gyro-stabilized their compasses for a long time, as noted.

(...)
Yep. and it was G sensor, not a Gyro sensor. Still the 'gyro' word was used across many places (possibly even RM literature).

b.

Old 16-08-2013, 06:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The new thing gets rid of that funky compass and use a solid state sensor along with accelerometers. ) axis sensing (much as I think this is another publicity stunt since a boat is not a glider).

The brain is also new: model -100 for small boats then there are bigger brain boxes too - they differ in the clutch/drive current they are able to support.

Beware the EV sensor units seem to be of more than one design. They do NOT plug into the old brain boxes, if you go the EV way, you must get a new brain box too. Otherwise the instrument and the drives remain same old. (Bad news I think since I have seen many drive failures but not all that many electronics failures).

Not yet easily available in the EU but I have seen Defender listing them online.

I will update you when we get ours. Possibly this winter.

PS Some may have noticed the old ST40 instruments are being phased out ... you will get same in a new faceplate now!!!! How nice. Another BS move by Ray.

Cheers,
b.
Old 16-08-2013, 09:00   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Oh yes, it is.

AP never gets tired or distracted..
It is 20 lashes if my crew become tired or distracted
I take your point my boat actually steers probably 98% on the autopilot so Its certainly better than me. I think I have probably forgotten how to hand steer by now.
Old 16-08-2013, 10:32   #20
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The new thing gets rid of that funky compass and use a solid state sensor along with accelerometers. ) axis sensing (much as I think this is another publicity stunt since a boat is not a glider).

The brain is also new: model -100 for small boats then there are bigger brain boxes too - they differ in the clutch/drive current they are able to support.

Beware the EV sensor units seem to be of more than one design. They do NOT plug into the old brain boxes, if you go the EV way, you must get a new brain box too. Otherwise the instrument and the drives remain same old. (Bad news I think since I have seen many drive failures but not all that many electronics failures).

Not yet easily available in the EU but I have seen Defender listing them online.

PS Some may have noticed the old ST40 instruments are being phased out ... you will get same in a new faceplate now!!!! How nice. Another BS move by Ray.

Cheers,
b.
all solid state compasses are versions of a fluxgate magnetometer. these are solid state. They have advantages and disadvantages compared to gimballed fluxgate units.

dave
Old 16-08-2013, 11:30   #21
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:

Cheers,
b.
I'm confused by your post. Are you swaying you are going to get one of the new units even though you think it is just publicity BS?
Old 16-08-2013, 13:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
I'm confused by your post. Are you swaying you are going to get one of the new units even though you think it is just publicity BS?
Yes Sir. It was to be the X-5 for our boat but now it looks like we are getting the EV-100.

Yes Sir. Dressing old ST40 in new rounded bezels and selling as if they were anything new is a pure publicity stunt. Seen before from Ray (but also from Sim and a couple of other manufacturers).

b.
Old 16-08-2013, 14:01   #23
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Yes Sir. It was to be the X-5 for our boat but now it looks like we are getting the EV-100.

Yes Sir. Dressing old ST40 in new rounded bezels and selling as if they were anything new is a pure publicity stunt. Seen before from Ray (but also from Sim and a couple of other manufacturers).

b.
Which model of boat do you have?
Old 16-08-2013, 14:06   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

b.
its called 'refreshing the product line' everyone from Kellogs to Microsoft does it.

dave
Old 16-08-2013, 17:22   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
its called 'refreshing the product line' everyone from Kellogs to Microsoft does it.

dave
+1!

Yep. Microsoft has just been paying the cost of it. Somehow the consumers knew better.

b.
Old 16-08-2013, 17:38   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Which model of boat do you have?
Small sailing boat: 3t displacement light ship. Tiller and very easy to steer, but rolls downwind a bit more than we wish for. I hope the EV sensor will then be more adequate than the obsolete compass.

EV models not available here yet. I might get one on the other side.

b.
Old 17-08-2013, 20:31   #27

Boat: Catalina 270LE
Quote:

Small sailing boat: 3t displacement light ship. Tiller and very easy to steer, but rolls downwind a bit more than we wish for. I hope the EV sensor will then be more adequate than the obsolete compass.

EV models not available here yet. I might get one on the other side.

b.
That's why it's important to read the literature and then ask the pointed questions. The marketing docs for the p70/x5 combination state that the auto-tack function contains a timer (0-10 seconds, programmable) a range, something like 80-130 degrees and something else that escapes me at this moment. The Raymarine forum guys admitted that the feature was not implemented, but only after I called them out on it by posting the manual that states it.

And, while I'm at it, to the gentleman who suggested that he'd been on a boat with the feature, yes, there is auto-tack. Press the button and it goes, 90degrees, and right now. A very far cry from what the docs say. So I stand by my original vapourware comment.
Old 18-08-2013, 07:03   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriachee View Post
That's why it's important to read the literature and then ask the pointed questions. The marketing docs for the p70/x5 combination state that the auto-tack function contains a timer (0-10 seconds, programmable) a range, something like 80-130 degrees and something else that escapes me at this moment. The Raymarine forum guys admitted that the feature was not implemented, but only after I called them out on it by posting the manual that states it.

And, while I'm at it, to the gentleman who suggested that he'd been on a boat with the feature, yes, there is auto-tack. Press the button and it goes, 90degrees, and right now. A very far cry from what the docs say. So I stand by my original vapourware comment.
Yep. Are there any other options that could match an EV-100 for my boat?

b.
Old 18-08-2013, 17:31   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I am a bit surprised by the Auto-Tack thing: my old 4000+ unit had an adjustable angle setting, which was good because my Carina doesn't generally tack in 90 degrees. But sure enough, I just checked the manual for the X-5 I now have and there are no adjustments at all. This is with the ST6002 control head. I guess they planned on adding the features with the P70 and then dropped it. I haven't used the X-5 enough under sail yet to know (and remember) how well the autotack works, but I am having my doubts if I can't increase the tack angle.

Raymarine controllers have been very reliable for me, and I believe that is widely true. However, my 30 year old ST2000 could maintain a straighter course than the ST4000 and ST4000+. For some reason I have never been able to tune in the controller properly for my boat. I take it that modern autopilots are tested and tuned on modern, lightweight, fin-keeled boats so perhaps my full-keeled, barn-doored lead mine behaves different enough to not be optimally steered. It is not a problem at sea, but the behavior in places like the Kiel Canal is pretty scary. I am hoping for better with the X5.

While the old compass was clunky it basically got the job done. The serious problems I have had were always with the cockpit tiller drive units. The cockpit wheel drive units are also known to be far less reliable than below deck units. If you are stuck with needing a tiller drive then your choice is between the RM EV-100 system and the Simrad one-piece system (TP32 is the largest). The Raymarine system has permanently mounted controller/computer/compass and only the drive itself is exposed, and (expensive) replacement drives can be dropped in easily. But for 1/3 less than one replacement GP drive alone you can buy an entire TP32 integrated unit, and still get about the same thrust. The Simrad does have some networking ability but I don't remember the details. Personally, I know someone who is designing a drive board that will allow the X5 to power a larger linear drive. The linear drive I am looking at is much more powerful than the RM GP unit, has integral reference sense and end stop switches, and costs 1/3 the price: 560 lbs. Thrust Linear Actuator

Greg
Old 18-08-2013, 18:35   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I am a bit surprised by the Auto-Tack thing: my old 4000+ unit had an adjustable angle setting, which was good because my Carina doesn't generally tack in 90 degrees. But sure enough, I just checked the manual for the X-5 I now have and there are no adjustments at all.(...)
http://busse-yachtshop.de/pdf/raymar...ad-install.pdf

page 50

different AP?

b.

Tags
marine, raymarine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: