Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 20:21   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-3
New Autopilot - CPT vs Raymarine EV100

I'm looking at getting my autopilot refreshed, and am trying to work out which direction I want to go. I'm tossing around whether I refurb my existing ST4000+, buy Raymarine EV100, or recently was thinking on the CPT wheel pilot.

I prefer a wheel pilot for reasons, just not interested in dealing with a below decks pilot and a wheel pilot has met my needs so far. Boat is an Ericson 35-3, mostly doing local coastal cruising for now. Mostly single handing so the autopilot is usually doing the steering.

Leaning towards the CPT for reasons, most robust drive available for a wheel pilot, low current draw, standalone, disadvantage standalone won't network for whatever purpose that serves.

Refurbing existing drive, new motor and gear is cheap, it works well enough now, disadvantage i'm on borrowed time with this system already just a matter of time for when the next thing breaks.

New Raymarine system, has the fancy new sensors, can network, disadvantage best I can see it's the exact same wheel drive and motor as I have now with updated electronics.

Am I missing something I should be considering? If you had to pick a course which would you, or would you say option 4 you fool?
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 22:08   #2

Re: New Autopilot - CPT vs Raymarine EV100

I've got an old Comnav. If the control head died I'd look hard into a Pypilot solution to drive the motor. If the (below deck) motor died I'd get a CPT and hope for Pypilot integration at some point (for increased course efficiency). If that some point never came about I'd be happy to know that I had an autopilot that I could trust.

I otherwise tend to like to buy things that you don't hear people complaining about. People don't complain about their CPT.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 22:43   #3

Boat: Riva 48

The ST4000+ is by far the best selling autopilot ever. The reason was it was pretty good for it's time and now. If your drive gear box is the problem, just replace that. If you get the new Raymarine, make sure you think through the whole system, the compass is different, you need nmea converters to get your wind data in the new autopilot, new calibration process and so on.

The CPT is not bad but you need an integrated system for the waypoints, the compass to radar connection and wind mode..
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 00:58   #4

Boat: currently boatless

I am a big fan of the CPT units which I believe are highly underrated for what they do. One has to concede that you can only set a heading and they will not talk to a chartplotter or a multi function display. We had also intended on purchasing a CPT unit for our old mono but circumstances changed and our latest boat had a whole new suite of electronics installed less then 12 months before we bought the boat.
I love the CPT due to its ability to steer in very adverse conditions. Low power drawer and ease of maintenance. You do have to occasonally adjust for current and wind drift but I believe that is little trade off.
Our intention is to go to Indonesia next year and the plan is to have a CPT unit as our back up.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 04:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a CPT, original plan was to buy a “real” below deck Autopilot and have the CPT as a back up.
But the CPT does everything I need it to, so now the plan is to buy another CPT without the mounts etc as a backup.

In truth I think you need to pay attention to the plotter looking for traffic every now and again anyway, so if you have to push the 1 degree button once or twice, it’s not a problem/
I would like for it to interface so I could set a wind angle etc.

Surely there has to be a business opportunity for someone to develop an interface for the CPT, it can’t be that hard and I think many would sell.
Other than the appearance of a wheel pilot, it’s the only weak link to a CPT that I know of
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 05:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think the new Evo-100 is a great piece of kit two years on. The CPT wasn't really an option because the cost of import and VAT added significantly to the price. However, as you are US based, certainly worth looking at.

Sure it doesn't integrate but then I run our Evo in a stand alone mode for coastal sailing. If the wind changes around a headland or during the day, I press a button a couple of times. Its not like i am going to be away off watch for any length of time.

Your old kit including the drive are worth quite a bit second hand as individual components on e bay, particularly now as Spring approaches. I raised a 1/3 of the price of the new Evo selling the old ST4000 black stuff. Actually I regret selling the old wheel drive as the older black one as brass cogs rather than plastic in the newer ST4000+ grey wheel drives.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 07:11   #7

Hey, thanks for all the thoughts and opinions! Really appreciated, and helped me coalesce my thoughts on the matter.

I'm starting to lean toward rebuilding the motor in my existing drive, that seems to be the weak link I've got now. Then shovel some money into the bank for a CPT when the time comes down the line.

I really like the CPT for its simplicity, it fits the way I currently use my pilot, I tend to set a heading and adjust as needed. I've only used the drive to track once, tried the sail to wind once and gave up on that idea. I do like the auto-tack function, that I use regularly.
Old 19-03-2019, 10:36   #8

Boat: Freedom 32

IF you go new, Raymarine is the best brand according to my wildly experienced boat guy. He told me Raymarine is doing USN electronics and getting some of the best intelligence from the Navy, not to mention a fat contract. He thinks their products will be more advanced due to these contracts with the Navy. One guy's opinion.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:35   #9

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I am no Raymarine fan but the EVO wheel autopilot is impressive. I would buy it again.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:38   #10

Curious about PyPilot, has anyone here made a system that works well?

The concept looks great, I'm still not comfortable homebrewing the mechanics on this type of thing since I do rely pretty heavily on my autopilot, and well my mechanical skills tend to result in some epic kludges.

I figure I could get the electronics running easily enough, but shake rattle and role plus temp cycling add in UV exposure and salt spray, not sure about getting all that right. I've unfortunately been too close to shaker tables, salt fog baths and all the rest of these kinds of tests to be really comfortable hacking these things up for something critical, I guess I'm probably overly concerned.
Old 19-03-2019, 15:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

CPT has recently upgraded their control head so the new units are somewhat different from the old. I believe it’s still the reliable workhorse, just with a better control head.

I’ve tried a PyPilot driving a CPT on our heavy 44’er. Still working with Sean to get the bugs out. I remain optimistic.

Essentially I cut into the CPT motor circuit and made a dongle so that I can drive the wheel motor with either the old CPT control head or the PyPilot by unplugging one control head and plugging in the other.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
CPT has recently upgraded their control head so the new units are somewhat different from the old. I believe it’s still the reliable workhorse, just with a better control head.

I’ve tried a PyPilot driving a CPT on our heavy 44’er. Still working with Sean to get the bugs out. I remain optimistic.

Essentially I cut into the CPT motor circuit and made a dongle so that I can drive the wheel motor with either the old CPT control head or the PyPilot by unplugging one control head and plugging in the other.

When you get to figured out, if you’ll sell them I want to buy one.
I don’t even know what a PYPilot is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:20   #13

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I simply love my CPT, it's powerful, works very well on my heavy Tayana 37
Customer service has been outstanding.

Pop's Florida
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:35   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Our Pypilot works well w/our below deck hydraulic pump. No bugs, works fine and very low power draw.

For any who doesn't know what it is or have not yet read our write up discussing the set up in our boat here it is again.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:51   #15

Pypilot = open source autopilot controller that connects to Opencpn.

In action: https://youtu.be/KQuBwLSMSxI
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine