Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 15:39   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Neighbor dumping raw AC into water?...what to do?

Chop the plug off his power cable - and if you can, drop the plug into the oggin or crack it with a hammer (care re CCTV).......happens enough he will get the message.....ideally not only you complaining / with head above parapet so can more easily deny responsibility.

If not, drop him into the oggin .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:39   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Let's not let this get out of hand folks. I've deleted a number of posts from this thread. Try to stay on the topic of the issue not the issuer.

Thanks.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:48   #48
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Its likely the court will say since you knew about it- it was your responsibility to move your boat away to stop the damages-

I think that's UNlikely.

I suggest you find a lawyer friend and give your neighbor written notice that he/she is liable for any damages.

Or, if it's coming from the power source, call the utility company.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:50   #49

Boat: PETERSON 44

Thankfully DOJ has has stuck his head in the proverbial noose. I was thinking you shold put your big toe in the oggin and sever the plug with bolt cutters. If you do that enough you will forget why you were so upset and few other things will be forgotten. .
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:54   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Thankfully DOJ has has stuck his head in the proverbial noose. I was thinking you shold put your big toe in the oggin and sever the plug with bolt cutters. If you do that enough you will forget why you were so upset and few other things will be forgotten. .
You have a point there ............use a blowtorch - on both the plug, the cable and the power point - that way the Marina may think the boat is a problem.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:05   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I really doubt that having a lousy electrical system on a boat is actionable however burning down someones boat (and the rest of dock) or in some other way causing malicious damage is likely criminal.

Just a thought.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:05   #52

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
2nd Dog Watch, I have the same issue at our dock but am out for the winter. I am 95% sure my neighbor is dumping DC into the water (and he said it's quite possible). So here is how I am handling it. While we are out I'm going through my DC and AC systems looking for any faults. I'm about half done with nothing showing up yet. Our marina has a known crappy ground as well so I'm also installing an isolation transformer since I have an aluminum saildrive that could easily become an expensive anode. Not to mention 90% of the boats use an improper anode material (zinc) for our fresh water location which should be magnesium or aluminum. In the Spring I'm going to help my neighbor go through his boat looking for problems. I have found folks more receptive to offers of help than threats.

Now if said neighbor were an ass I'd get everyone within 50 feet of him to write a letter to the management, split the cost for a marine electrician to document the issue and then if the neighbor was still dug in with denial I'd consult an attorney. I'd hope he'd cave to a mob of angry neighbors. I'm not one to consider legal action if I can any other means to solve the issue. Remember the burden is on you to prove your case in a court of law. You have done some preliminary work but need a subject matter expert to present facts. All of this is likely more expensive than fixing the problem.

I wonder if there is a public service area that could document a safety problem.

Honestly though I think to win you'd need to prove yourself innocent and that specific boat guilty and in a marina might be tough. This would be small claims too where you don't need an attorney necessarily. I'm not in the legal field nor do I play one on TV but these are my thoughts. I wish you the best of luck getting this resolved quickly and amicably. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:08   #53

Boat: PETERSON 44

or chew on the yellow thing and the marina will think a goat is the problem. Order one of these to hide the evidence.

Chi Home CA1010 Flat Iron, Tourmaline Ceramic hair straightener
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:18   #54
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
OK, I'm stupid!

The advise from posting my question here is to either unplug my power cord, install a galvanic isolator, or relocate to another marina.

Got it!

Such a stupid question.......I wont post here anymore....

I agree that pursuing this legally will be too slow and unreliable. I would approach this by dealing with the marina owner. You need to hit him where it hurts by threatening his pocketbook. Take some smartphone vid of the measurement being taken and the positive reading disappearing when you flip off the breaker and show it to all of your neighbors. Put together enough tenants who are concerned and/or threaten to leave if this is not dealt with and they may start to listen and apply some pressure. They would just do the math and prefer to lose one tenant (him) than several (your group). JMHO. This is why many liveaboard marina's have a liveaboard association. Replacing zincs twice in six weeks is unnacceptable. That would cost me about $500 in divers and zincs...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 17:26   #55
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I agree that pursuing this legally will be too slow and unreliable. I would approach this by dealing with the marina owner. You need to hit him where it hurts by threatening his pocketbook. Take some smartphone vid of the measurement being taken and the positive reading disappearing when you flip off the breaker and show it to all of your neighbors. Put together enough tenants who are concerned and/or threaten to leave if this is not dealt with and they may start to listen and apply some pressure. They would just do the math and prefer to lose one tenant (him) than several (your group). JMHO. This is why many liveaboard marina's have a liveaboard association. Replacing zincs twice in six weeks is unnacceptable. That would cost me about $500 in divers and zincs...
The marina owner has a responsibility to maintain the marina. You wouldn't want to use a parking garage where the owners deliberately covered the cement with tacks. If it's coming from the marina, they have to deal with it.

I don't think I ever said to take it to court. 99% of the time all you have to do is send a good letter from a lawyer. My marina did that when pats of aa broken-down dock started drifting into our dock. I was gone for a week, and when I came back, the broken down dock had been removed.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 17:49   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
This issue turns up often and in a lot of cases (most?) it turns out to be the complainer that is causing the problem, but has not enough understanding of galvanic corrosion to understand and accept that. Posts from the OP strongly indicate that this is the case here too. I mean 2x new anodes in 6 weeks... so how many times did the neighbours replace their anodes? Has the OP been on shore power for extended period before? What brand of charger does the OP have? Etc. etc.

He OP should have hired a marine electrician right upon discovery of the issue, not get mad with us fir taking the effort to explain this.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 18:17   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch
I'm painted here as WRONG WRONG WRONG!

My original concern as posted was: If someone is leaking destructive electricity into the water, and nearby boats are being effected. The number one answer here is to relocate.

My question was: Why does not the offender stop dumping electric into the water?

No.3 What recourse do I have if my boat is damaged?

For God's sake, I did nothing to anyone to deserve this kind of response, just question for answers that are valid.
Jeez 2DW (love your screen name BTW) - you arre clearly pissed at the dock neighbor and now apparently pissed at us We really don't know you all that well and while we all have vociferous opinions we also don't want to send you into a fight you can't win.

Even if everyone here said "You arer absolutely right and he is breaking the law." what good will that do you? Seriously? So in a very short period of time (quick answers are very common here and often correct) you have recieved advice that runs along the following themes.

1 - have you done the following troubleshooting to make sure it is not your boat causing the problem - questions you haven't really answered.
2 - Have you thought abount strategies to isolate your boat from the stray currrent - you seem to think this is a non-starter and issolation won't work
3 - Move to another marina. Probably not a short term good solution but based on marina and neighbor attitude may be a good long term idea
4 - Get a lawyer. Asking for legwl advice on the internet is pretty crazy strategy

Then you jump on a fairly long term member for trying to be helpful but giving the answer you don't want.

It appears the answer you want is, "You are 100% correct. Go sue him and the Marina."

In regards to the legal strategy one member has advised you to gather your data and proof becuase if you do end up in court the opinion of some anonymous people on the internet will amount to squat.

Sorry that this thread is turning into "about you" but to be fair you seem to be helping a bit.

In regards to you neveer posting here again, that would be a sad thing for you as this is the best sailing forum on the net. Take a deep breath and let us try to help you help yourself. What are you trying to achieve?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:41   #58

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
I am really let down with many people posting in this thread... Even some that I normally respect on this forum.

While there is 50% good advice there is also 50% bad or incorrect advice.

Running to lawyers and trying to bring a lawsuit is about the worst approach to this problem and only leads to more and more boating restrictions or laws. We are supposed to be a boating community, and supposed to support each other and keep boating fun.

Disconnecting anyone else's shore power or messing with their boat is even worse advice.

If anyone disconnected my shore power or messed with my boat when I was not there, that is when there would be a lawsuit. That is malicious behavior. You don't know what is running inside someone else's boat, and it could be important like a refrigerator or more important... A bilge pump!

Disconnecting someone's shore power could cause serious damage and even sinking. Imagine a boat with a slow leak relying on that bilge pump and some idiot suspects it to be eating zincs so disconnects it. The water inside could rise several feet and even if it didn't sink, high water inside could damage everything.

If you damage my boat maliciously, you better pray I don't find out who you are.

-------
Gene :^)
http://www.Strathbelle.com/

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:49   #59

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
I am really let down with many people posting in this thread... Even some that I normally respect on this forum.

While there is 50% good advice there is also 50% bad or incorrect advice.

Running to lawyers and trying to bring a lawsuit is about the worst approach to this problem and only leads to more and more boating restrictions or laws. We are supposed to be a boating community, and supposed to support each other and keep boating fun.

Disconnecting anyone else's shore power or messing with their boat is even worse advice.

If anyone disconnected my shore power or messed with my boat when I was not there, that is when there would be a lawsuit. That is malicious behavior. You don't know what is running inside someone else's boat, and it could be important like a refrigerator or more important... A bilge pump!

Disconnecting someone's shore power could cause serious damage and even sinking. Imagine a boat with a slow leak relying on that bilge pump and some idiot suspects it to be eating zincs so disconnects it. The water inside could rise several feet and even if it didn't sink, high water inside could damage everything.

If you damage my boat maliciously, you better pray I don't find out who you are.

-------
Gene :^)
http://www.Strathbelle.com/

Did you really take them seriously, rather than as flustration with the Op's attitude.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:49   #60

The comment about the OP using up his zincs may be an indication that he may be the problem boat is contrary to my understanding. I thought that a boat causing problems with electrical DC currents will not cause their zincs to deplete but will deplete their neighbors.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water