Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 13:38   #16

Re: Neighbor dumping raw AC into water?...what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
What DC Voltage do you get? What hull materials? That level of material loss seems high for AC leakage. Bonding may be your problem. Check DC across any damping on your prop shaft if installed.

Regards Bill
It's AC voltage..My boat and his are fiberglass...Please don't remind me about AC voltage vs. DC voltage when discussing "galvanic Corrosion" I know the codes!
The offending neighbor is a 57 foot wide bodied sloop with a one inch 50 amp shore power cord. They use the boat to live on only I think. Doesn't matter.....if they are dumping raw current into the water from improper wiring aboard their vessel, I, nor anyone else should have to suffer any ill reflection as a result!
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 13:47   #17

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

We had this problem in our slip in NC. We pulled the boat after a lightning strike, replaced the zinc, then pulled again two months later for an insurance survey. Zinc was eat up! Totally. The surveyor said to place an additional large zinc in addition to the one we had, and to get a galvanic isolator. We did, monitored it for the next four months we were at the slip, and the isolator was doing its job. Won't have a boat without one now.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 13:50   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Umm, AC power will not dissolve zincs. AC doesn't cause electrolytic corrosion because the anodes and cathodes swap places 50 times a second (or 60 times in the U.S.).
The problem with AC is not so much with the AC itself, but when you connect to the AC supply you share a common ground with all your neighbours. The boat that is least protected can have a rapid zinc loss and corrosion. The first solution to try, as others have suggested is to fit an isolating transformer or at least a galvanic isolator.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 13:50   #19

Boat: Irwin 40

I would hire a professional to check your boat and the others if possible. This way you get written proof of the problem. If it is his boat you can take that to the owner and marina management and state your case.

That said when I do these checks 90% of the owners swear it is another boat and 90% turn out to be the complainers boat. Just saying you should make sure the problem is not yours before you accuse others. You may well be in the right but you have to prove it. These problems are not always easy to solve but the facts are the facts so find them first only then can you really get the problem fixed.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 13:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
We had this problem in our slip in NC. We pulled the boat after a lightning strike, replaced the zinc, then pulled again two months later for an insurance survey. Zinc was eat up! Totally. The surveyor said to place an additional large zinc in addition to the one we had, and to get a galvanic isolator. We did, monitored it for the next four months we were at the slip, and the isolator was doing its job. Won't have a boat without one now.
Guess what....galvanic isolators have limits!

No galvanic isolator is available to protect your underwater appendages from raw, wide-open, electrical contact, be it AC or the worse DC. I should not have even to consider employing such!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's wrong to dump destructive damaging electricity into the water.

Again I ask, has anyone her had to deal with such legally or otherwise. What do lawyers say?
Old 30-12-2011, 14:04   #21

Isolation transformers, galvanic isolators, Zincs!

Lets go the step beyond when they all fail! and they will in my slip! Again, who is accountable, in law, who is responsible?

I have done my part short of moving to another marina!
Old 30-12-2011, 14:08   #22
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
Guess what....galvanic isolators have limits!

No galvanic isolator is available to protect your underwater appendages from raw, wide-open, electrical contact, be it AC or the worse DC. I should not have even to consider employing such!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's wrong to dump destructive damaging electricity into the water.

Again I ask, has anyone her had to deal with such legally or otherwise. What do lawyers say?
I think if you really want to know what a lawyer says you should hire one and find out!! many here have gave you some good solid advice here its up to you now to do something about it,unless you just like talking about it here!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:11   #23

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

I understand your frustration, however, your boat will sink before this settles in court. If you are sitting on the boat and someone in the marina is leaking RFI to the point where you can't watch tv or listen to the radio, you are best off wrapping some ferrites on your equipment and getting the problem solved that way. It's most effective to do what you can to prevent further damage. This would apply to your case as well.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:16   #24

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Umm, AC power will not dissolve zincs. AC doesn't cause electrolytic corrosion because the anodes and cathodes swap places 50 times a second (or 60 times in the U.S.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I had a similar problem a few years back. An underfunded sea scout sailboat across the fairway from me replaced its dead charger with a cheap automotive charger. Suddenly, everybody within 20 meters of that boat was losing zincs.
The electrical world and various opinions are soooo confusing.......aren't these in fact contradictory or am I missing something?
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I think if you really want to know what a lawyer says you should hire one and find out!! many here have gave you some good solid advice here its up to you now to do something about it,unless you just like talking about it here!
" Many people here give me advise??? Many?? Who are you talking about? No one yet has given "good solid advise" as you claim, I think you just want to bust my balls RAM!!! My question has only been posted 20 minutes or so.
Old 30-12-2011, 14:22   #26

Boat: PETERSON 44

unplug cord from offender. do readings change? plug cord back in MAYBE
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:26   #27

Boat: Irwin 40

you have gotten advice you just chose not to listen to it!
Go hire a lawyer they will be happen to take your money but without facts the judge will throw it out but hey, the lawyer still gets paid so what the hell.

I have been involved in cases like this and I am here to tell you unless you get your facts right you got nothing. Your opinion means nothing in a court of law.

Please either try to learn here or take your rant some place else!
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:33   #28

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
Isolation transformers, galvanic isolators, Zincs!

Lets go the step beyond when they all fail! and they will in my slip! Again, who is accountable, in law, who is responsible?

I have done my part short of moving to another marina!
Angst shortens your life.
Unfortunately, it would be easier to install an isolating transformer than convince the administration of whose fault it is. If your good on crusades- go for it.

If your boat has no (small) polarity relative his (water), then your problem will be none (smaller).
Why don't you borrow an isolator tranny & redo your measurements if you think this is going to fail?
Life isn't fair, but it is short.
lateral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:35   #29

OK, I'm stupid!

The advise from posting my question here is to either unplug my power cord, install a galvanic isolator, or relocate to another marina.

Got it!

Such a stupid question.......I wont post here anymore....
Old 30-12-2011, 14:37   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames View Post
The electrical world and various opinions are soooo confusing.......aren't these in fact contradictory or am I missing something?
Not necessarily. As others have said, bad grounds through shore power systems can cause the damage. And battery chargers produce DC power. I think nearly all electrolytic corrosion is caused by either (a) shore power grounding problems; and/or (b) DC current leakage.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water