Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 20:25   #1

Need TV that works as a chartplotter monitor

Have two Garmin chart plotters. Both GPSMAP2006C--one at chart table- one at cockpit. The one at chart table has a separate 19 inch Viewsonic Monitor. Both GPSmap units have a out cable source marked "monitor". The previous owner had a TV on board and left the TV antenna in place. One of those round marine units by Shakespere. I want to move the 19 inch viewsonic monitor to the cockpit and replace it in the Chart table/salon area with a larger TV set that also will work as a Chart plotter Monitor ---Maybe 32 inch size. A Tv/monitor that also plays DVD s. would be a plus. Can any of you sailors here recommend a TV set that would work for this. I could use either 12 or 120 voltage as I have a large Inverter. Thanks you .
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 23:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Need TV that works as a chartplotter monitor

According to the spec sheet at garmin.com, the GPSMAp2006C doesn't have any video output ports.

What sort of plug is on the monitor end of the cable? What is the label on the input socket you are using on the monitor.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 16:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Have two Garmin chart plotters. Both GPSMAP2006C--one at chart table- one at cockpit. The one at chart table has a separate 19 inch Viewsonic Monitor. Both GPSmap units have a out cable source marked "monitor". The previous owner had a TV on board and left the TV antenna in place. One of those round marine units by Shakespere. I want to move the 19 inch viewsonic monitor to the cockpit and replace it in the Chart table/salon area with a larger TV set that also will work as a Chart plotter Monitor ---Maybe 32 inch size. A Tv/monitor that also plays DVD s. would be a plus. Can any of you sailors here recommend a TV set that would work for this. I could use either 12 or 120 voltage as I have a large Inverter. Thanks you .
OOPS!! The Garmin chart Plotters are Models GPSMap 3010---sorry.
Old 22-03-2019, 16:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
According to the spec sheet at garmin.com, the GPSMAp2006C doesn't have any video output ports.

What sort of plug is on the monitor end of the cable? What is the label on the input socket you are using on the monitor.
All are "VGA" plugs
Old 22-03-2019, 19:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a 32" monitor that doubles as a tv. I use a tv receiver box that converts the antenna signal into something the monitor can use and connects with HDMI. Monitor was under $200 on Amazon and the box about $30 on ebay. Since I don't watch tv while running, it works for me. And I can play dvds thru the nav computer or my dvd player.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 20:02   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

I have 3010 Garmin going to a 32" TV. The TV has VGA input, so just needed an extension cable. The TV used a 120v to 12v brick, so cut the cord and hardwired into the cabin lights. The TV also has a DVD player which we us all the time. Mind is a Insignia, was bought from Best buy, but don't think they still have it, only paid $149. Works great, can easily see it from the helm. I run a different scale on it, with AIS.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 20:10   #7

I bought a 32 inch TV that doubles as a monitor about two years ago and text came through fuzzy and difficult to read. I eventually returned it.

Things like motion post-processing, chroma compression and re-sampling can destroy the quality of text that a monitor normally displays nicely. Some TVs work fine, however, some you have to jack with overscan to get the TV to match your video cards native resolution otherwise re-sampling occurs. Also, some TVs have poor input lag compared to monitors so your mouse will lag. I don't know if these things will affect a plotter but make sure you check before plopping down money.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, monitor