Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 19:26   #1
cruiser

Need Help With Navigation Electronics

Here's what we have onboard for navigation electronics:

*Two almost new PC computers running Nobeltec Odyssey software.

*Three cellular Ipads each in Lifeproof cases. An Ipad air, a first generation ipad and a new Ipad pro. The original ipad runs InavX, and the Ipad air and Pro run InavX and Nobeltec apps. The ipads receive GPS off the grid.

*Two iphones in waterproof cases running InavX apps.

*Small Garmin Chartplotter hooked to Standard Horizon VHS for dedicated AIS reception.

*An outdated Furuno 9000 Chartplotter which is only used for radar.

Here's what we plan to add this season:

Vesper Watchmate Vision AIS transceiver with wifi.

Question & here's what I'd like to do if it's possible:

All of the devices can interact via wifi, but is there a way to hook up the ipads or the PC to our Raymarine 4000 autopilot, so that it can be controlled via the ipad or the PC?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 19:54   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Need Help With Navigation Electronics

Yes
Old 07-01-2016, 20:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Ken; What would the Vikings or Columbus or Magellan the Pacific Islanders or Lin and Larry Pardey say? I assume you have paper charts, a compass or two, binocular, rulers, chip log etc. How about a sextant, chronometer, reduction tables, lead line, pencil etc.? And finally, do you keep a logbook. Now, before I get flamed or misinterpreted or screamed at, I think many sailors would say I raise some good points. Have we become too reliant, wrapped up and quite possibly in some case even obsessed with electronics and gadgets? I think there may be more invested in those gadgets than I have in my entire boat. I grew up with compass, charts and binocular and navigated from North Carolina to Puerto Rico with a plastic sextant and an rdf--about 35 years ago of course, but seriously, folks, have things gotten out of hand? What if there is a lightning strike or power failure? What if the Wi Fi hotspot dies? Even the good old US Naval Academy is reverting to teach astronavigation again., so are we sometimes forgetting about the basics? Finally, do we keep log books and track our courses on a paper chart? Celestial forces you to keep a log.....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 20:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Don't know about Raymarine autopilot or Garmin system. If you had B&G (Simrad/Lowrance) like we do, you could use the iPads for radar and chart plotter.

I never understand people's desire to control the AP with their chart plotter, much less doing it with the iPad. Sorry, I guess I'm just too old school and think it's pretty wiz-bang just having an autopilot in the first place

Best of luck!
Old 07-01-2016, 20:55   #5
cruiser

Yes we always have paper charts. Yes we know how to dead recon using a compass. Yes we keep a log. Yes, we know how to use radar. Yes, yes, yes.

Right now, we routinely do course adjustments every five to ten minutes on the auto pilot via a cockpit control or a remote at the nav station.

The question once again: Is there a way to interconnect the autopilot to an iPad in the cockpit? I may be doing some longer solo passages this summer where this might come in handy. That doesn't mean I plan to set it and forget it.
Old 07-01-2016, 23:08   #6

Boat: Hanse 445

The Simrad GoFree wireless module allows you to mirror the chart plotter on an iDevice and issue some basic commands. However according to app docs the autopilot controls are not implemented in the apps.

But this is about the RayMarine st4000 which seems to be an older autopilot with just a couple of SeaTalk connectors. There are a couple of threads around of cables going from SeaTalk to nmea 2000 protocol and there was a converter module which has been discontinued by the looks of it.

There will be a library which we could drop into Xcode and start issuing messages but I think the problem will come trying to convert back to SeaTalk, which is just a higher variant of nmea2000.

This is a topic I'm very interested in and will keep investigating some options as I'm looking to do something similar. Simrad provide an SDK but requires permissions for different levels of implementation so not sure how open it really is.

So answer at this point is:
possibly then even if, will be a bit of work.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rkjbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 00:46   #7

Boat: Ross 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The question once again: Is there a way to interconnect the autopilot to an iPad in the cockpit? I may be doing some longer solo passages this summer where this might come in handy. That doesn't mean I plan to set it and forget it.
Yes, I make a WiFi Bridge which can do what you want but the autopilot needs NMEA connections to accept waypoint / tracking data from an external source.
I use Transas iSailor running on my iPad which talks to my autopilot via one of my NTWB2 WiFi Bridges.

I also make wireless remote controls for Raymarine autopilots with one model that uses an IOS or Android app to steer your boat. Feel free to contact me for more info.

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:28   #8

Boat: Riva 48

[QUOTE=Kenomac;2009619]

All of the devices can interact via wifi, but is there a way to hook up the ipads or the PC to our Raymarine 4000 autopilot, so that it can be controlled via the ipad or the PC?

Ken,

If you want to control the ST4000 autopilot you have two choices, either a dedicated control head (best option, around $300 on ebay) or a Raymarine MFD, the oldest/cheapest option that can do that for you will be the Classic C series.

There is no other option that I know of. You can send waypoint info to the autopilot via nmea 0183 but you still have to get to the autopilot to accept the TRACK mode change which defeats the purpose of remote control.

Vassil
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

If you connect your WatchMate Vision's 0183 output to the A/P's 0183 input then you can send it waypoint, cross track error, etc. from any of your iPad / iPhone apps. The WatchMate Vision will also supply GPS data to the A/P and it will supply it to the iPad/iPhone too.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 17:28   #10
cruiser

Thanks Jeff.

Sounds like another good reason to buy the he vision

When will you begin shipping the. Idioms which have the updated anchor alarm feature. Updated firmware.

Ken
Old 10-01-2016, 17:55   #11

Quote:
Here's what we have onboard for navigation electronics:

*Two almost new PC computers running Nobeltec Odyssey software.

*Three cellular Ipads each in Lifeproof cases. An Ipad air, a first generation ipad and a new Ipad pro. The original ipad runs InavX, and the Ipad air and Pro run InavX and Nobeltec apps. The ipads receive GPS off the grid.

*Two iphones in waterproof cases running InavX apps.

*Small Garmin Chartplotter hooked to Standard Horizon VHS for dedicated AIS reception.

*An outdated Furuno 9000 Chartplotter which is only used for radar.

Here's what we plan to add this season:

Vesper Watchmate Vision AIS transceiver with wifi.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Dear Ken, You have a grand yacht Oyster and have a measly Autohelm 4000?????
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:28   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Yes
How big is this vessel? do you plan to actually stand behind the wheel and stand watch?

Marc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:31   #13

Quote:
Yes we always have paper charts. Yes we know how to dead recon using a compass. Yes we keep a log. Yes, we know how to use radar. Yes, yes, yes.

Right now, we routinely do course adjustments every five to ten minutes on the auto pilot via a cockpit control or a remote at the nav station.

There is a + and - button on the auto pilot. if you're in the cockpit its easier to use that than making course corrections vie IPad....
Old 10-01-2016, 18:36   #14

Quote:

Are you plotting positions every 5 minutes to make corrections? Shucks in the USCG we were checked after a 4 hour helm watch and given a few degrees correction...
Old 10-01-2016, 19:31   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Dear Ken, You have a grand yacht Oyster and have a measly Autohelm 4000?????
Correction: The auto pilot is a Ratheon ST7000.

Tags
electronics, navigation