Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2010, 11:40   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
I just got the link off SH's site " Wiring Raymarine C & E Classic Series.pdf " from Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

No idea if it is optional or required. Not sure if the original poster has a classic or not. I assume as it is existing, it was classic. He didnt state it was c-wide plotter.

In the documentation is states "The Matric can be connected to a raymarine c and e classic plotter, however a NMEA mux is needed as the raymarine has only one NMEA port. Brookhouse has designed a mux for the Raymarine classic c and e plotters"

Just passing on what I found, as it could be useful. I have no experience with raymarine products

As SH recommends the Brookhouse, I would use it (and I have one of their other models on my boat. Not cheap, but it works. Plus they have great support, which is virtually non-existant at Raymarine lately). There may be other solutions, but this one will work well.

Old 20-11-2010, 14:31   #17

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
The C80 mentioned by the OP doesn't exist in the substantially different widescreen range which covers C90W, C120W & C140W.

The statement "a NMEA multiplexer is needed" made by SH is correct but gives the incorrect suggestion that is the only means.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 16:20   #18

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
I am not a NMEA expert, I just don't see how you would be able to use the 2 different speed NMEA outputs of the GX2100 to the single input of the c80 without a mux, without losing functionality that is. The brookhouse, although not cheap, simplifies it and adds more inputs from other devices.

CLICK

I think I get what you said above.. you want to convert the 2100's nmea port (dsc, etc) to seatalk and the nmea-HS (ais) to the g80 directly. I was going to go that route in my system (using a nmea/seatalk converter), but with several different talkers on the line, 3 technolgies, it was proving difficult/impossible. the brookhouse was a nice fit in my case..worked flawlessly and is very flexible, especially being able to hook a pc up to it and the remote repeater is nice. Plus everything still talks with each other even with the plotter off.

Still the brookhouse is a sweet device, efficient, great support, flexible, customizable, configurable. While not cheap, it is a good value for what it does.
Old 20-11-2010, 16:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
I am not a NMEA expert, I just don't see how you would be able to use the 2 different speed NMEA outputs of the GX2100 to the single input of the c80 without a mux
Your right you can't

Quote:
I think I get what you said above.. you want to convert the 2100's nmea port (dsc, etc) to seatalk and the nmea-HS (ais) to the g80 directly
What I suggested & implement on my own setup was to use the C80's single NMEA port for AIS @38400 baud. Then add the Raymarine Seatalk/NMEA adaptor onto the Seatalk bus shared with the C80 to re-instate NMEA 0183 connectivity in/out @4800 baud.

As the OP doesn't suggest otherwise, I'm assuming only one such NMEA feed to C80 is required. If more then a mpxr, albeit just a cheaper single speed one, would then be required. Check out my diagram earlier in this thread.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 21-11-2010, 01:12   #20

Just to recap with original OP's queries & requirements. The Raymarine multiplexer E55059

appears to work with only NMEA 0183 @4800 baud.

You would still need the Raymarine Seatalk/NMEA adapter E58001

to restore NMEA connectivity to C80 after using its single NMEA port for AIS @38400 baud.

You may still need a single speed multiplexer to combine Garmin GPS & DSC NMEA @ 4800 baud although there are many cheaper alternatives to the E55059.

The final solution as suggested by phantomracer is to use the dedicated Brookhouse NMEA/AIS multiplexer

At nominal $209 this may be the cheapest option IF you require a multiplexer.

If in doubt RTFM

Tags
ais, chartplotter, dsc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: