Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:01   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Need Help Installing a SSB Radio

Is a Icom 710 or a 718 a good radio on board a boat?

What tuner do I need?

I mainly need a radio for weather and email.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:14   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Yes
AT-130 or AH-4
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46   #3

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Need help with SSB

Thanks Cap't, I am looking at a Icom 710 and a 718, Which one would recommend?
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:09   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
It's an ICOM so it comes down to what you prefer. I'd suggest getting the manual and looking it over. Follow some of the steps and see which makes more sense to you and is easier to understand.

Biggest differences (to me):
100W vs 150W (710)
99 vs 160 memory channels (710)
user adjustable receiver features (718)
multiple scanning modes (710)
100% duty cycle (710) - not specified on the 718

IC-M710 - Marine SSB Radio

Icom's next generation commercial grade SSB. Click on the small image to get a large picture of the IC-M710.

Specifications:
The latest in Icom SSB technology and construction
150 watts of power, 100% duty cycle
All modes, including RTTY
E-mail ready for SeaWave. Optional filter required for Globe Wireless.
Monitor all 976 ITU voice and data channels, HAM bands and aircraft Wx
1136 channels
Transmit:
1.6 MHz - 27.5 MHz marine channels and all HF HAM bands*

160 user programmable memory channels, each identified by either alpha characters, channel number or frequency
2182 kHz alarm (optional)
Multiple scanning modes
Rugged metal chassis
Direct keypad entry
Large backlit alphanumeric LCD display with selectable lighting levels
Large tactile knobs
Automatic antenna tuner (option AT-130)
Very affordable! About half the price of other SSB's
2 year warranty

ICOM M718
Features
  • Multi Function Meter
  • Keypad Input
  • CW Keyer
  • Front Firing Speaker
  • Microphone Compressor
  • Optional UT-102 Voice Synthesizer
  • 10 Hz Readout
  • 1 Hz Tuning
  • Lock
The Icom IC-718 covers 160-10 meters. This radio is very easy to operate with one touch band switching, direct frequency input via keypad and auto tuning steps (senses the rate at which the tuning knob is turned). The receiver section features IF Shift, Adjustable Noise Blanker, RIT and formerly optional UT-106 DSP Automatic Notch/Noise Reduction. These big rig features give you the necessary tools to fight interference. You get 99 regular memories and 2 scan edge memories. You can scan memories or scan between two specific frequencies. The transmit section features up to 100 watts of RF output and AF speech compression to increase average audio output. A Morse keyer is built-in. The meter shows output power, ALC and VSWR. The layout and basic operation of this rig is simple, but through a menu system you can adjust many operational parameters such as: peak-hold on the meter, mode lock out, RF/SQL knob behavior, key type, etc. The TS function allows you to vary the tuning increment to your liking. The easy-to-read, large LCD and front firing speaker make this rig ideal for either mobile or base installations. The has rear panel a standard SO-239 antenna jack.

The IC-718 requires 12 VDC at 20 amps. The IC-718 comes with the HM-36 hand mic and OPC-025A DC power cable. Size: 9.67 x 3.8 x 9.5 inches 8 Lbs 6 oz. (240x95x239mm 3.8 kg). See July 2000 QST for a review of this radio. The IC-718 is a great value, providing reliability and DSP at a 'used rig' price. This transceiver will conveniently drive either the fully automatic AH-4 or AT-180 optional antenna tuners. Optional filters require soldering.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:45   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
You will find more support for ICOM M710 particularly if using it for Pactor email/fax etc.

Look also at the ICOM M802 with matching AT140 tuner which is particularly well suited to Pactor use, & being unit of choice for most cruising folk.

Check out this link for all aspects of setting up Pactor HF system. Most of the info applies to HAM based Winlink as well.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
The 710 is legal for use on marine SSB frequencies and can be modified to use legally on amateur frequencies.

The 718 is legal for use on amateur frequencies and can be modified to use ILLEGALLY (except in emergencies) on marine frequencies; there are good reasons for not using a modified ham radio on marine frequencies in the normal course of operation.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:15   #7
Eternal Member

Dave (Auspicious) is right! It is illegal to transmit using the 718 on marine HF frequencies, except in an extreme emergency. It's a very good entry-level ham rig, though, and works well with WinLink email. I once installed one on a big sailboat right next to a M710!

The M710 is a fine radio...built like a rock. You can save quite a bit of $$$ by buying a used one. The Icom Repair Center Southeast guy, Paul, has several for sale right now on eBay.

You'll want the AT-130 or AT-140 automatic antenna tuner to go with the M710. IMHO, there's little advantage in "stepping up" to an 802 unless you want or think you need: (1) the advantage of a remote head (for installation purposes); and/or (2) HF DSC capability.

Otherwise, the M710 is a very fine radio and is great for email with Pactor III modems.

Understand that a PIII modem is gonna run about $1200 in addition to the $500 for the automatic antenna tuner and the cost of the radio itself. Plus installation costs (parts and labor).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:18   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Understand that a PIII modem is gonna run about $1200 in addition to the $500 for the automatic antenna tuner and the cost of the radio itself. Plus installation costs (parts and labor).
If you are patient and good at searching you can find a Pactor modem used through eBay or (cheaper) some the ham radio emcomm lists for 650 - 800 USD. You'll have to make or buy cables unless you are so lucky as to get a modem from someone with the same radio as you, but you would have to buy them anyway with new equipment.

As for installation, either Bill or I will be more than happy to do that for you. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:47   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
IMHO, there's little advantage in "stepping up" to an 802 unless you want or think you need: (1) the advantage of a remote head (for installation purposes)
The 710 has a remote head model - we have one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:56   #10
Eternal Member

True, but it's been discontinued. Don't ask me why Icom decided to do this...maybe to push their 802?

But, you can still find used ones sometimes on eBay or elsewhere. I just mailed one off to Icom repair today.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:59   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
not sure what you are using for an antenna - if your backstay already has been cut with insulators disregard the rest of this message
if it has not suggest you take a serious look at a gam electronics antenna - we have one and it booms and works great - do not have to cut backstay - some of the pundits say they do not work - we and those we talk with disagree - at times we have been a relay for cruiseheimers and heard stations from bahamas to maine - we download weather faxes from new orleans, talk with chris parker and get his emails via winlink and use winlink email feature -- they really do work well
and we get nothing from this just really really satified users
chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the wall cambridge md
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 12:43   #12

Boat: C&C 38 Mk II
Re: Need Help Installing a SSB Radio

I have both an Icom m710 and an Icom 718 on my boat, with one AT-130 tuner. I try to switch the antenna (with tuner) between the two transceivers with a coax switch, and the tuner control signals with another switch. However, the 718 is not properly controlling the tuner. I hear some relays clicking when the 718 tries to adjust the tuner, but it is not the same sound as when the m710 adjusts the tuner. If the (ham) 718 tries to adjust the tuner, I typically transmit with about 1/2 the power (measured) as I should have. However, if I then set the switches for the m710 unit/tuner/antenna, and tune to the same frequency as the 718 using the m710, then switch back to the 718 without retuning, I see full power out from the 718. If I then try to tune the antenna with the 718, I see about 1/2 power output. So my 718 is not able to properly tune the AT-130 autotuner. Maybe there are some switch settings inside to AT-130 tuner that need to be configured differently from the m710 settings, but for my usage, the AT-130 is not transparently compatible with the 718, and I must string up a vertical dipole when using the 718.
Rhumbline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio