Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 12:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Hi guys.

I'm about to install a Raymarine X-30 with P70 head and soon will ad an e7d chartplotter. I'm hoping to get some advice as to where to out it.

I've added a video of my cockpit and instruments so you all can see what I've got to work with. I'd appreciate any ideas before I decide what to do here.

Thanks!

SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 19:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil
Hi guys.

I'm about to install a Raymarine X-30 with P70 head and soon will ad an e7d chartplotter. I'm hoping to get some advice as to where to out it.

I've added a video of my cockpit and instruments so you all can see what I've got to work with. I'd appreciate any ideas before I decide what to do here.

Thanks!

Must be the chopper pilot in him that created the pod look. My vote is to get a pedestal mount. Some photos attached. Then it is about primary and secondary instruments. This is an airplane concept adapted to a sailbot.

All the engine instruments are secondary. I would relocate all of them to the portside lazarette hole if possible. Use audible alarms to alert you, or make sure these intruments become part of your scan when motoring.

The compass, plotter,autopilot, depth, speed and wind can be considered primary. I would try to design a solution that gets them neatly arranged on the pedestal. In your case with fairly large speed, depth displays I would consider putting them in the starboard forward cockpit bulkhead. The only conflict I could see is many folks mount "rope bags" on these bulkhaeds to stuff halyard ends into as well as winch handles, half eaten sandwiches and empty beer cans - LOL

It is a big job to sort this out right and depending on how you go might cost a few boat bucks.

And yes, that compass is likely getting quite a bit of interference. Turn on all instruments and let the compass settle. Have someone turn off all instruments while you watch the compass and you will see how much mag interference is being caused.
Attached Images

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 19:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Re: Need Help Choosing Spot For AP Head And Chartplotter

Thanks.

Kevin English, the local raymarine rep called me today and made some suggestions too. He felt I should sell the knot meter and depth sounder and get an i70 to go with my system. He said I could add a single, combined transducer that has knot meter/water temp/depth for about $100 and swap mine out while the boat is in the water using a diver. Similar to what you suggested, he said to mount a single pod with the e7d, p70 and i70 on the binnacle. Then move the engine instruments into a piece of poly board to close up the hole. I am not sure if I have alarms already or how to add them.

The wind meter does not function and there is no wind instrument on the mast. I don't remember seeing wiring up there either, although there are wires going to the instrument so?? Regardless, I would have to spend money for that too to add it.

That would certainly clean up the binnacle and make use of that hole, but I like your idea of moving the instruments I already have and that are working fine. Only issue is that I think I still need a wind meter and will likely need to spend as much to get the display to support just wind as for the whole works! Irregardless, I need the damn wind instrument that goes on the mast anyway. Ugh! $$$

I guess I'll look around and see how much I might be able to get for the old knot and depth meters. Come to think of it, maybe I could put an i70 and p70 in each of the square pods that now house the engine instruments and mount the e7d in a single pod in the middle? The damn 3 way pod alone is over $300.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 20:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil
Thanks.

Kevin English, the local raymarine rep called me today and made some suggestions too. He felt I should sell the knot meter and depth sounder and get an i70 to go with my system. He said I could add a single, combined transducer that has knot meter/water temp/depth for about $100 and swap mine out while the boat is in the water using a diver. Similar to what you suggested, he said to mount a single pod with the e7d, p70 and i70 on the binnacle. Then move the engine instruments into a piece of poly board to close up the hole. I am not sure if I have alarms already or how to add them.

The wind meter does not function and there is no wind instrument on the mast. I don't remember seeing wiring up there either, although there are wires going to the instrument so?? Regardless, I would have to spend money for that too to add it.

That would certainly clean up the binnacle and make use of that hole, but I like your idea of moving the instruments I already have and that are working fine. Only issue is that I think I still need a wind meter and will likely need to spend as much to get the display to support just wind as for the whole works! Irregardless, I need the damn wind instrument that goes on the mast anyway. Ugh! $$$

I guess I'll look around and see how much I might be able to get for the old knot and depth meters. Come to think of it, maybe I could put an i70 and p70 in each of the square pods that now house the engine instruments and mount the e7d in a single pod in the middle? The damn 3 way pod alone is over $300.
My opinion on wind is, if you don't have it put it low on the list. The skipper I am training now has instrument fixation. He drives s shaped paths down the course chasing the wind meter. I covered it up one day and told him he couldn't us it. Much better.

I bought a handheld anamometer with compass, windchill and a host of other features from amazon for like $40. I haven't used it yet - LOL

The reason I suggested speed and depth on the bulkhead is the numbers are big enough to read from the helm and the data is still useful. Boat speed is great to have, depth critical and even if this stuff is in a newer instrument, nice backup.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 21:32   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Need Help Choosing Spot For AP Head And Chartplotter

Just tye some white or red rag strips to your guys and shrouds at different hights, they will pretty well tell ya which way and how hard the winds blowing!! a little practice with how your wake looks and the sea around ya Looks will tell ya all ya need to know ! worked for years and is much cheaper and less prone to failure then any electrical wind speed and direction gear ! Just my 2 cents

Tags
chartplotter