Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 12:59   #1

Boat: Maxim 380
Need Help Assessing Chartplotter

hi ...

relatively new to the site , i look in from time to time, BUT, now that i have bought a boat, i know i'll need a lot more assistance

and will say upfront THANX !

close on the 24th, so it is NOT readily available to go look at and investigate

the boat has older ( 2004 ) and working fine

Raymarine ST60 Wind, Speed and Depth Instruments
Raymarine ST 6001 Auto Pilot and S1 Smart Pilot
Raymarine C80 chart plotter with Radar and Man Overboard module

( could Not find a serial # on the charplotter case )

and uses an older data card Navionics charts do go w/ the sale..
so, i am looking to be as efficient as possible in updating..

the 1st question is, would a newer / new Raymarine unit , have the same wiring and connections, thus being able to unplug the old and plug in the new and interfacing the other Raymarine gauges as it currently does?
my other choice seems to be purchasing older memory cards to go thru the rig-a-ma-roll of download / upload various charts i would eventually want

the 2nd question is any recommendations for an
RPM /Engine Hour Gauge
(mechanical hour gauge preferred )
to replace the 2 original Yanmar gauges where the rpm is fine but the digital engine hour portion is NOT

t h a n x

gary
rowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 13:40   #2

Re: need help assessing chartplotter

The new Raymarine will not have the Seatalk connector, has SeatalkNG instead. To connect tot the ST60 & ST 6001 they have a converter kit Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk NG Converter Kit

There will probably be a large plug at the back of your current unit that will probably have wiring for power and NMEA and maybe other things. It's very unlikely its the same as on newer units. So it won't be plug and play, but it's not that hard to wire up.

I have an e7 MFD, converter kit, ST60 instruments, ST6002 controller for the AP and new i70 instruments which all happily work together.
Old 08-02-2015, 14:02   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Teleflex Rectangular Hourmeter Gauge
Teleflex mechanical hour meter
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:54   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdog View Post
Raymarine C80 chart plotter with Radar and Man Overboard module
and uses an older data card Navionics charts do go w/ the sale..
so, i am looking to be as efficient as possible in updating..

the 1st question is, would a newer / new Raymarine unit , have the same wiring and connections, thus being able to unplug the old and plug in the new and interfacing the other Raymarine gauges as it currently does?
my other choice seems to be purchasing older memory cards to go thru the rig-a-ma-roll of download / upload various charts i would eventually want

I dunno anything about the C80, but... If you can find updated chart cards that'll work, or if you can download updated charts, I'd suggest you do nothing for the first season. Use the C80, determine what you like (or don't) about it, use that to inform your buying decision after that. If even necessary.

-Chris
Old 09-02-2015, 04:15   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

As Hoppy says, the converter kit will allow you to use both the old analog instruments & add new digital instruments.

If you opt to use the old plotter & need charts for your area, be sure to check eBay. There are lots of old cards there. Just determine for sure which card you need as there are several formats.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:34   #6

Boat: Maxim 380

thanx all ....

the info is good food for thought and points me in directions i did not consider ...the issue w / the gauge RPM/engine hour "combo" is still available for comment ;-) i did come across the quartz unit, but was thinking there might be one that fits neatly into the same space ?!? maybe ? thanx
rowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdog View Post
thanx all ....

the info is good food for thought and points me in directions i did not consider ...the issue w / the gauge RPM/engine hour "combo" is still available for comment ;-) i did come across the quartz unit, but was thinking there might be one that fits neatly into the same space ?!? maybe ? thanx
What happens is that the counter gets stuck, but the tach works. Many find that it is easier to install a separate hour meter and just connect it to the ignition switch or oil pressure sender, rather than disconnect the tach wiring form the engine or alternator. In either case, your engine hours get "reset", but separate is easier. If the tach works fine, I'd leave it.

That's why.

Congrats on your new boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You have a new boat
It has 10 year old instruments that all work, are of a good modern make and design
Replacing instruments will give you no new information that you need, will not make the boat sail better or make it safer
"Don't fix what ain't broke" spend the money on important stuff like sails, ground tackle or rigging.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:41   #9

The Raymarine C series multi function display are very good units and I don't think you will gain much by upgrading to the E series. C series will not except Platinum Navionics cards but the Gold cards are every bit as good for navigation as the platinum which have 3D and satellite overlay which the gold do not. Nice to have but certainly not a must have for navigation.

You can find out about updating your Navionics card by going to their website.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:42   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

If you are so inclined to replace your chartplotter, let me know as it would fit with my other Raymarine instruments.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:02   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm in the exact same position as you, WTIH THE EXACT SAME EQUIPMENT. I have thought about this for a couple of months and talked with Raymarine a couple of times.

In the end, I decided to just keep the equipment until it dies. Otherwise it was a can of worms that may have required a replacement of everything, including the autopilot (expensive proposition). Cards are still available for that plotter, so I will buy cards for the areas I will be travelling too. My backup will be a laptop with various chart plotter software.

As to the Tachometer... You can buy and aftermarket VDO programable tach (they connect to the alternator W wire). Pretty sure you can even pick these up at an auto parts store. The price is 1/10 the cost of a Yanmar branded tach.
By Type | Instruments VDO Marine Gauges
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:05   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Ahh one thing I forgot...

Those instruments still sell for a fair amount of money on Ebay. If in good shape, that plotter will bring $1100 or so. The ST60 wind still sells for over $700 with the masthead (in used condition). Just some food for thought.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:09   #13

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I dunno anything about the C80, but... If you can find updated chart cards that'll work, or if you can download updated charts, I'd suggest you do nothing for the first season. Use the C80, determine what you like (or don't) about it, use that to inform your buying decision after that. If even necessary.
-Chris
The only "problem" that I see with Raymarine is that you are "stuck" with Navionics charts. I have a C90W on my boat and it works fine.
I agree with one of the other posters who said that if it is working OK, to use what you have if it is working fine until or unless you determine that you need (want) something different.
Old 09-02-2015, 14:11   #14

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

I have a C-120 since 2005, my suggestion would be, download your instruction book from Raymarine, make sure you upgrade to your latest firmrware and by the latest Navionic Gold chart and Enjoy!
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 20:01   #15

Boat: Tollycraft Pilothouse 61’
Re: Need Help Assessing Chartplotter

My last boat had the exact same Raymarine products, they are great, I have state of the art equipment my new boat, but honestly there is almost nothing new equipment will gain you, you have GREAT stuff stick with it. Love that C series!
Crabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter