Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 14:58   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Need guidance re: VHF, Wifi Booster, AIS

great thread. thanks also to Jerry for all the ideas.
I give a +1 to IslandTimePC for his wifi setup. Incredible reach and throughput for my onboard router, especially when stateside and I can pick up free Xfinity hot spots all over.
Old 17-02-2018, 20:03   #17

Boat: Tartan 37

Good Evening,

I’m starting to find clarity. Thanks for the great suggestions. I have decided to keep my VHF, buy the Vesper XB-8000 with a splitter, and I’ll need a Raymarine “adapter” to get my instrument information to the new Garmin 942xs that I’m strongly considering upgrading to. The 9” screen really looks good. Anyone have any experience with that model? I will add a router so I have wifi connectivity on the boat and will, hopefully, get better access with my new Shakespeare WiFi booster antenna. This will allow me to use my wifi only ipad.
All this will be connected via NMEA 2000.

I’m feeling good about this upgrade and recognize there are many ways to accomplish these goals. Thanks again to all for your awesome suggestions.

Jibstay, thanks for your comment about Memory Rock if leaving from north of Lake Worth inlet. I’ll need to take a closer look to the potential route if I left from the St. Lucie inlet.

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:42   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
...I will add a router so I have wifi connectivity on the boat and will, hopefully, get better access with my new Shakespeare WiFi booster antenna.
Just so you know, the Vesper has a built-in WiFi router. It only supports 5 (other) hosts, but maybe you can skip buying the router until you find out whether you need more than that.

The Garmin may also have a built-in router. And I'm not sure what your Shakespeare booster antenna connects to, but presumably that would be a router, too.

Routers are cheap, but if you don't need one, you can at least avoid the hassle of installing one.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 17:19   #19

Boat: Tartan 37

Good reminder, thanks Capt Tom. I will definitely try to avoid an additional router if I can avoid it. Can’t wait to get it all hooked up.

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 04:44   #20

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Just so you know, the Vesper has a built-in WiFi router. It only supports 5 (other) hosts, but maybe you can skip buying the router until you find out whether you need more than that.

The Garmin may also have a built-in router. And I'm not sure what your Shakespeare booster antenna connects to, but presumably that would be a router, too.

Routers are cheap, but if you don't need one, you can at least avoid the hassle of installing one.
Hi
trying to make sense on inter connectivity for different instruments,looking at electronics many have the ability to use WIFI,however my century old knowledge got me detained on WIFI equals internet equals router,for what I see could be? different compatibles gadgets can interact with different units,laptops tablets etc.
from a description of one item,in this case a Vesper transponder but the capabilities described can be applied to many other offerings and electronics,so please help needed on the practical use and not on this specific unit.
===========================================
Ability to connect to computers via waterproof USB
(THIS IS CLEAR AND GET IT)
-
Can connect wirelessly to other devices using WiFi 802.11 b/g (5 users)
Fully certified NMEA 2000
NMEA 0183 to WiFi 802.11 b/g gateway
NMEA 2000 to WiFi 802.11 b/g gateway
NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 and USB gateway
Controls transponder and silent mode features remotely via
iPhone/iPad and Android apps
Use with standard applications such as iNavX, SEAiq, iSailor, et

THANKS
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 06:29   #21

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
1) Can connect wirelessly to other devices using WiFi 802.11 b/g (5 users)
2) Fully certified NMEA 2000
3a) NMEA 0183 to WiFi 802.11 b/g gateway
3b) NMEA 2000 to WiFi 802.11 b/g gateway
3c) NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 and USB gateway
4) Controls transponder and silent mode features remotely via
iPhone/iPad and Android apps
5) Use with standard applications such as iNavX, SEAiq, iSailor, et
Translation:
1) The Vesper has a built-in router. Think of it as a "hub" to which other things can connect via WiFi. So you can build your own little internal network, separate from the internet.

OR the Vesper can join an existing WiFi network if you already have a dedicated router, or some other device which includes a router.

Now, just to confuse things, you can then hook your router up to the internet, at which point all the devices (up to 5, in the case of the Vesper) which are connected to the router will also be able to use the internet.

2) NMEA 2000 is the most recent way to connect marine electronics. All the connectors, wiring specs and data specs are compatible between devices, so you can plug anything into anything, and they can talk. Just about anything you buy today will have this capability. For example, your chartplotter will be able to see the AIS information from the Vesper and display nearby vessels right on the screen.

3) NMEA 0183 is the older way to connect marine electronics. This required a little more effort to set up. Each device could be a "talker" or a "listener." Sometimes both, sometimes multiple talker or listener ports on one device. Each talker could only connect to one listener (and vice versa) although sometimes you could daisy-chain devices and each would pass data along to the next in line. The connections were just wires you had to connect together, no plug-and-play.

The Vesper supports a lot of connectivity between old and new devices. You can feed your old NMEA 0183 data in (3a) and it will broadcast that data over your WiFi network so handheld devices can access it. Likewise, some of the NMEA 2000 data it sees (3b) is broadcast, too. Finally, some of the NMEA 2000 data it sees (3c) is converted to NMEA 0183 which can be sent to any old listeners you still have, or sent out over a USB cable to a laptop.

4) If you connect your cell phone or tablet to the WiFi network, there are apps which let you configure and control the Vesper, including turning off the transmitter ("silent mode") while still receiving from other AIS vessels.

5) There are other apps which can use the NMEA data from (3) which was broadcast over the WiFi network.

I can only speak to the capabilities of the Vesper. Others MAY include similar functionality, or not. Make sure whatever you want is supported.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 06:57   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Dont call them router (Raymarine, Garmin, B&G... chartplotter etc.), because they are NOT ROUTERS.

They are dumb WiFi devices.

They can join a WiFi network as a client (to download stuff and upload your usage data to the vendor).

They can create an ad-hoc network as a host. (only in this mode you can remotely control them, but then no Internet access by your phone or tablet).

A ROUTER is a device, that interconnects 2 or more different networks. This gadgets do not do that.

Tags
ais, vhf, wifi