Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2016, 22:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Need an Autopilot for a 38', 12 ton sailboat with a tiller

Originally Posted by Transpac 67 View Post
To all who have commented. THANKS! Yes I did mis-state the weight. The 12 ton number comes from the Coast Guard Documentation for this Vessel. The correct weight is 16,000 lbs.
I too was impressed by the Pelagic Autopilot. It is stainless and the package is designed so the circuit boards are not in the cockpit. Only the motor case is. It also has a cover to keep the spray off. This forum is really wonderful and again thanks for all of your contributions.
I recommend the Raymarine EV100 tiller pilot for this application. The 9 axis gyro is vastly superior to the traditional fluxgate compass.

(The ST1000 and 2000 are meant for smaller boats.)

The EV100 system easily connects directly to Raymarine STng networks, and is easily integrated with N2K networks.

Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 23:42   #17
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Need an Autopilot for a 38', 12 ton sailboat with a tiller

Transpac 67,

I'm wondering whether you have considered a wind pilot instead? Jim built a home made auxiliary rudder wind vane, loosely based on the one made by Autohelm for our Insatiable (the first). That boat had a partially balanced rudder on a slanting skeg, and the lateral plane aft added by the aux. rudder was a great assist downwind in large seas. She was a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, probably 10-11 tons in cruising un-trim (;-)). We did tens of thousands of sea miles with it. No power drain. Silent. Ymmv.

on edit: nice boat, probably better sea manners than the PJ; we used to encounter a few, not so many now.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

autopilot, sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: