Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 17:07   #1

Boat: Pearson P30
Navonics on an IPhone

Anyone on CF have any experience trying to navigate with Navtronics on an IPhone ? If so, what was your experience?

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:34   #2

Re: Navonics on an IPhone

iPhone was frustrating due to screen size. iPad worked great with bad elf GPS

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ntscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:45   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

It works well, very full featured for the $. As pointed out above, screen size can be limiting but as a handheld secondary GPS for the cockpit or dinghy (in waterproof case) it's fine.

I wouldn't use it for planning but wouldn't use a dedicated CP either. I much prefer using a larger screen and a mouse (higher precision and control compared with touch) for route planning. I use Coastal Explorer on a Surface 3 Pro currently, at the nav table.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:21   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

An option, though I am not sure about how to go about it retroactively, is to use the iPhone Navionics app on an original iPad. The old ios allowed you to use iPhone apps in 2X mode. I routinely use this as my backup and to record tracks. As far as I can tell the loss of resolution doesn't affect anything and its pretty damn cheap.

I had to rebuild my iPad the other day from factory and it did allow me to redownload the older version of the iPhone software FWIW...

As far as the software itself, there are a lot of reviews and opinions out there, but I'm happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4409.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	99962  
Old 04-04-2015, 10:37   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

You might want to consider the Garmin app and charts as well. I loaded those on my iPad and iPhone for a trip from the BVIs back to Florida and was very pleased.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05   #6

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

It works very well. While it's the most expensive app I've ever purchased (mainly due to the chart sets) it's worth every penny. We use it as a backup/2nd set of charts and it's very useful when we're out exploring in the dinghy or kayak. Leaving the display on with GPS will run your battery down quickly. Consider getting a floating, waterproof case for your phone/iPad.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:32   #7

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

I love it. My Raymarine E120 at the helm routinely craps out at the most inopportune times. The Navionics backup on the iPhone is easy to fire up and gets us through the tight spots. In fact, in contour mode it is often better than our primary system!
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I love it. My Raymarine E120 at the helm routinely craps out at the most inopportune times. The Navionics backup on the iPhone is easy to fire up and gets us through the tight spots. In fact, in contour mode it is often better than our primary system!
My older model raymarine RC435 CP freezes up at the worst possible times as well. A "quick" reset to factory defaults usually clears it up, but that 5 minutes of attention is often not available until later. I still carry a pair of garmin etrex and a list of waypoints as a backup, along with paper charts and instruments, although I've become rusty at using these.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 17:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have been using the Navionics program on a variety of devices for about two years, including my iPhone 5S, my iPad Mini, and my wife's iPad original.

I think it's a terrific product. Yes, the iPhone presentation is too small, and I have to put on my glasses to read it. Changing from sunglasses to reading glasses is a hassle. I find the iPad Mini to be about right: small enough to fit most places, and large enough for enough chart to be shown.

Recently, I have been using the Vexilar Sonar Phone (with wifi) to update my local charts. If you're not aware of this, it's a ton of fun and gives you the opportunity to see your depth soundings updating the charts in real time. I would have given anything to use the Vexilar sounder on our dinghy in Gorda Sound and the local areas around there. The channel that leads to Oil Nut Bay has lots of errors, and we could have corrected a ton of errors in an afternoon.

I have virtually all of the competitive iOS programs on my Mini, and I think they all have flaws that make them difficult to use. I much prefer the Navionics program.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 18:28   #10

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

I use it on two Iphone 4s and an iphone 6 plus. Works great. I used opencpn on a laptop that had a tedency to overheat at the worst possible times such as when attempting to make tight dog leg turns in dark water into an anchorage, so I kept Navionics running on one of the cell phones as a backup.

It also comes in handy in the tender looking for fishing spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 20:51   #11

Boat: 1967 Mariner 40

Used to have an IPhone with Navionics and switched to a Samsung Note II. No looking back and I love the way it works in bright conditions or any conditions. Completely happy with the Navionics program itself and it seems that about every other time I turn my phone on there is an update and the price is right. Big screen and I can carry it in my pocket any where I go.

Larry
Larry T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 00:02   #12

Boat: Hunter 44DS

We went out exploring in our tender at Tin Can Bay, ran out of petrol and by the time we found fuel it was pitch dark and our yacht was anchored out at Inskip Point. Only way we found our way back to the Yacht was with the aid of the Navionics app on my phone.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:25   #13

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry T. View Post
Used to have an IPhone with Navionics and switched to a Samsung Note II. No looking back and I love the way it works in bright conditions or any conditions. Completely happy with the Navionics program itself and it seems that about every other time I turn my phone on there is an update and the price is right. Big screen and I can carry it in my pocket any where I go.

Larry
Mind Navionics of Android is quite hobbled compared to iOS version, I was happy to get my iPhone back again I tell you. Its a great app, a robust backup to opencpn, in fact we always use it when approaching harbour/anchorages as the charts are usually more up to date than the 2010 CM93 charts on opencpn, could be primary nav device no problem.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
Mind Navionics of Android is quite hobbled compared to iOS version,

What does the iOS version do that the Android version doesn't?

-Chris
Old 06-04-2015, 05:08   #15

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I have Navionics on my Iphone 3G, which I stopped using years ago.

My plan(hope), is to use it as a "mini", chart plotter at the wheel of my Bristol 29.

I'm not sure how well it will work, but what the hey.

I don't have a sim-card(lost it), in the phone, so I don't know if the phone will even work(no towers, no quick fix on the GPS).

I think, maybe, if I get a quick fix with the internet(before leaving port), the GPS might work thereafter, til I get to where I can get internet again.

I would also hack the phone enough to "hard" wire it for power.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, iphone, phone