Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 02:31   #1

Boat: hunter 310 / sunrunner 3300 / maxum scr 2400
Navman dual engine smartcraft setup - setting port engine canbus

Hi

I've just setup a dual engine Navman with the dual smartcraft engine gateway but am getting conflicting engine readings.

Disconnecting one of the engine harnesses and the reading are fine and swpping is also okay, so I guess the wiring is correct.

However, I can't set the engine to 2 as the option is greyed out.

I suspect its something to do with the engines both being set as starboard at factory, as per the attached extract.

eg For twin engine installations please ensure that the port motor has been assigned as a port motor as all motors are set up in the factory as starboard. This can be done by any Mercury service agent. The multi engine disconnect plug (on the canbus line) must be disconnected on the port motor in a twin engine configuration.

How do you set the port engine as the port engine ? Can I do this myself or do I really need a mercury service agent ?

regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual smartcraft installation.JPG
Views:	1982
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	130575  
mghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:02   #2

Re: Navman dual engine smartcraft setup - setting port engine canbus

I fond this search the web

Each entire CAN bus can only be powered by one engine on multiple engine boats. If you locate the CAN bus connector on your engine (the one with the yellow TERMINATOR cap, that you will connect the smartcraft cable to), about 3 inches below it (3 inches along the harness) there should be a 3 wire plug (this is the CAN BUS power connector), it should be red/blk, blk, ppl. this needs to be disconnected from ONE of your engines and caped (not the starboard engine).

and also this

Engine Gateway Installation
Certain dual engine setups share data between both engines through a single wire. The associated connector must be unplugged to prevent data collisions while using Engine Gateways. Some applications use a three-wire connector, others use a single-wire connector. These engine setups designate one engine as master and the other as slave. It is common for the starboard engine to be master and the port as slave, but is not necessarily true for all applications. The wiring harness on each engine may have a wire with labeling stating that it is to be grounded on the slave engine and left disconnected on the master engine. If there is no common data wire or master/slave grounding wire, than each engine will respond as master.
Old 13-11-2016, 01:09   #3

Re: Navman dual engine smartcraft setup - setting port engine canbus

Sorted - you need to tell the port engine that its a port engine (set at factory as a starboard engine).

Had to get a Diacom / Rinda to read and reset the codes in the ECM (30 sec job)

Tags
engine