Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-06-2015, 14:10   #31

Boat: Huon 33
Re: Navionics from Scratch.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The wires on the drive unit are bare ended and the simrad ap has a terminal strip for bare wire.

Mark
Thanks Mark,
I'm guessing/hoping then, that it is fairly obvious which wires go to Which Terminals....

Old 01-06-2015, 15:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Are you looking for an AP to be driven by data (waypoint) from GPS and or wind instruments?

Speaking from my experience.... I single hand for 30 yrs on a 36' 16K displacement sloop. I've upgraded most of my electronics over the years but the 25yr old Alpha 3000 below decks is still working fine... only one software up grade and replacement of a shorted drive. It's driven the boat 30-40,000 miles and most of then offshore between New England and the Caribbean. The Alpha does not accept any GPS or wind data. Skipper enters the course heading and adjusts the response of yaw etc. I don't know how the cost of an Alpha 3000 compares to what you are looking for... but if it does I would recommend you look into one.

I don't use many waypoints .. as in routes... I have a small library of them or just set on and get the ctw and enter it manually into the AP. I use both a small Garmin Ique 3600 (old) and now an B&G Z7 in the cockpit to see the charts and the boat's position on them. Both these units show a heading line and I can also simply adjust the AP heading while observing the plotter and the chosen waypoint. Very simple and rather inexpensive. The Z7 cost me $700+ and as a full on MFD can accept all the usual inputs if I want to connect.. weather, radar, AIS, wind, video and so forth.

I mounted the Z7 bracket to a square metal rod which fits into a winch under the dodger.. plug it into for power with a weather proof BlueSeas 12v cig plug. I can use it below decks... or take it with me for a delivery if need be... and lock it securely below decks. Both are touch screen. The IQue requires a stylus... the Z7 works with your finger. I will probably "retire" the Ique... as the Z7 has a larger screen and you don't need to stylus and its mounting is more "secure".

I have a RayC80 with radar and AIS which drives some cockpit repeaters as well... including a KVH compass which is also a GPS repeater...but aside from AIS and radar use I don't go below decks to look at it much aside from entering a waypoint.

My systems are not integrated and there are advantages... I am not sure of the advantage of putting all your eggs in one basket.... but this seems to be the direction the industry is trending.

Keep it simple...
Hi Sandero, thanks for your post, you are obviously a sailor of extensive experience. I have read up a bit on the Alpha, it gets awesome reviews, but as you say, it does not accept GPS or Wind inputs.

I'm not sure I understand your "all your eggs in one basket" comment, since although the systems interact, they are essentially independent systems. If the MFD failed, I could still use the remote control to set the heading of the Autopilot to put the track line over the TO waypoint on another Plotter as you have, or indeed a back up ipad which I have.

*cue arguments on Ipad suitability, I am happy that my Ipad in a waterproof case with power supply is a good backup display.

I admit that one of the reasons I like integration is that I am a bit of a techno Junkie, and read with interest that one of your displays is the B&G z7, I am a huge fan of their Sailsteer display, available on this and other B&G displays. I take your point about security of your plotter, and Intend to have my B&G Vulcan7 mounted securely below decks, with its display Wi-fi'd to my Ipad at the Helm, I will have the option to mount the Vulcan at the helm when on board for extended periods.

I take My ipad on any other Yachts I am sailing, as a back up to whatever is on board...... or a primary if they have nothing..... and a Sextant as back up!

ultimately I think we are trying to achieve the same things, but I don't see integration as a barrier to doing this.......

Old 01-06-2015, 15:36   #33

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
Do you know if the wires simply plug in as OME, or did someone make some adapters?... I am surprised, and delighted if they just plug right in from stock!

Colemj answered that. It's very straight forward. Bare wire to terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-06-2015, 16:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
Thanks Mark,

I'm guessing/hoping then, that it is fairly obvious which wires go to Which Terminals....

It is. +/- power and +/- clutch.

It is up to you to get the black/red correct....

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:06   #35

Gi Lo
Thank you for the reply to my message. My electronics packaged has evolved over 30 years that I owned the boat and the only electronics that are still in use are the B&G hornet: speed, log, wind and the Hecta Depth. They do not talk on NEMA and are from the "stand alone instrument" era.

Nowadays all electronics are talking on what is an N2K or equivalent network. This has many advantages... but for my next upgrade when the Hornet and Hecta bite the dust will hopefully be a wireless "network". Wires and water are not friends in the end.

Of course an entire suite with cockpit repeaters is quite spendy and with my more or less stand alone devices working there is no reason to drop a lot of money for electronics which really doesn't give me much more than I have or more importantly what I need. I have several GPS units and the 2kw radar is fine for my use.

I find AP integration a potential hazard and it makes the sailor lazy. I prefer to take all the data from my "transducers" and with the chart and the current and weather information select the course to steer. As a sailor is constantly tweaking their sails... this is not integrated yet ;-)... why not tweak your AP heading as required??? All I do is turn the little dial a tad to port or starboard.

Tech stuff can be very seductive. I used it every day but I don't understand it and can't fix these things.

The Alpha has served me very well. I recommend it as a robust not integrated AP. My experience in some deliveries with other pilots was so so. I love the course dial on the Alpha as opposed to punch in numbers.

And wired networks have a great time with a lightning strike... integrating all the damage!

Good luck.

Over time I advanced my "position fixer" electronics from Loran to GPS and eventually to a NMEA 0183 RayC80 which can be integrated but is not the current generation. The N2K is a network and as such there is no CPU as there is for the C80.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:28   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
And wired networks have a great time with a lightning strike... integrating all the damage!

As one who has experienced a lightning strike and has done a post mortem, the damage comes through the power cabling - in particular, the ground side. The communication wiring is rarely a problem for several reasons.

So even your stand alone stuff is integrated as far as lightning is concerned.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 00:45   #37

Thanks All....... boat is finally back on the water after an extensive rebulid...... pics are here if you are interested...... I ended up with B&G Vulcan, Simrad AP, VHF IS40 and Wind DST Rate Compass..... and RAYMARINE linear drive..... it really was THAT easy to wire it up, and works a treat with NAVICO system...... really pleased with it all......

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/seed...Magic%20Refurb

Tags
navionics

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: