Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:42   #1
jzk

Navionics Charts for the Android

Has anyone tried these? They are simply amazing. I have the HTC EVO. One can download Navionics charts for about twelve bucks.

All I can say is that it is GAME OVER for Garmin. The Android phones can do everything the NUVI can do as far as road navigation is concerned via Google Maps, and now complete charts can be had for $12 for an entire zone from Navionics.

They are still missing some of the more advanced features that a full blown garmin offers, but it is just a matter of continuing to write/update the software. Need a new chart? Just go to Android market and download the entire Caribbean in minutes.

They are a must have for every cruising sailor, even if only used as a backup.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51   #2
jzk

Oh yeah, one other thing. Check out the overlaid free wind forecast feature. With other devices, one must have a satellite subscription. Since your Android phone has internet access anyway, free wind on the charts.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
As one just looking to change thier phone service this is very helpful. Have you actually navigated with the Android OS? What problems have you had?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42   #4
jzk

I haven't had any problems with it. I have used it both on the Hobie Adventure Island in a ziplock bag, and on the Beneteau 47.7. I have a garmin as well. The Navionics App is a little under featured in some areas but I think that will go away as they update the software. The wind forecast is really awesome. And, of course, the price can't be beat.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15   #5

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
There's a whole bunch of Android OS touch-screen tablets about to hit the market as well. The Android phone Navionics app should run on those as well although it might take a bit longer before the resolution is upgraded to match the tablets.

Navionics ported things from the iPhone to the iPad very quickly, but they only had to make it work on one stadard device. It's a little bit different with Android since you have a variety of hardware devices it will have to work with.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:17   #6

Boat: CHB Magellan 36 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to Dawntreader II
Re: Navionics Charts for the Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Has anyone tried these? They are simply amazing. I have the HTC EVO. One can download Navionics charts for about twelve bucks.

All I can say is that it is GAME OVER for Garmin. The Android phones can do everything the NUVI can do as far as road navigation is concerned via Google Maps, and now complete charts can be had for $12 for an entire zone from Navionics.

They are still missing some of the more advanced features that a full blown garmin offers, but it is just a matter of continuing to write/update the software. Need a new chart? Just go to Android market and download the entire Caribbean in minutes.

They are a must have for every cruising sailor, even if only used as a backup.
That is a glowing review for Navionics!

Does this app have a AIS app if you can connect it with a AIS receiver? I would not feel comfortable relying on a $300 android tablet and $12 chart software to cross oceans or find my way through a reef on a remote island but being able to check AIS data in the cockpit during watches crossing shipping channels would be worth the price alone.

Has anyone used these for different nav functions?
Dawntreader II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:39   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby

Question, is the Android picking up real GPS signals or is it triangulating from cell towers? If it is using cell towers, then when you are in remote areas, even some places in the Bahamas, then you have no reliable position.

Anyone know the answer?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44   #8
jzk

Most cell phones nowadays have GPS's built in. And, the navionics charts are installed on the datacard of the phone, so they are always available, unlike Google Maps which downloads via cell towers each time you use the application.

I would not use the Android Navionics chart system as my only navigation device, but it sure is a great value. And, I find I use it more often than the real GPS because it is right there on my person all the time.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:17   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes especially given the IPX 10 waterproofness of mobile phones.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44   #10

I use navionics charts on my htc evo phone. The gps is real and the charts are great as a backup or in the dingy. As far as AIS is concerned, there is an app for that, although you will need an internet connection to the phone network for it to work.
ShaunJ
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 13:35   #11

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I have the Caribbean charts on my HTC Desire. The software works well. The problem is sometimes getting the GPS signal to lock. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I use the Navionics on my Motorola Defy Android phone. It is not waterproof - but it will take 1 meter for an hour. It's been wet many times.

Yes, it is on and inside the fish tank.

bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 13:27   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
I use navionics charts on my htc evo phone. The gps is real and the charts are great as a backup or in the dingy. As far as AIS is concerned, there is an app for that, although you will need an internet connection to the phone network for it to work.
ShaunJ
Would be super duper if we could have an OpenCPN for Android, wouldn't it?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 18:27   #14

Boat: Cal28

I went to a seminar last Tuesday put on by Navionics with a live demonstration of their software both on I-phone and I-pad (and played with my HTC Evo) ...

They also are launching a very interesting feature that they call User Generated Content ... basically a hands-on almost instantaneous modifcation to the Navionics charts with locally generated information (which is then verified) ... for everything from navigational aids to Marinas and wrecks ... this can be toggled on and off ... if anyone is interested ... a link to some of the specs for the android version can be found here ...
Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08   #15

Send a message via AIM to JustinandKaitly Send a message via Skype™ to JustinandKaitly

Hi just want say thanks for the info on Navionics I just downloaded US East, Central and South. and will be testing this weekend on the ICW and the Gulf Coast arround from St. Pete Beach to Tarpon Springs. Also. I have started development an a WeatherFAX app for android will let you know how it progresses.
JustinandKaitly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, navionics